Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
TR5ESU OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Speedo not working

Hi!

I have searched for this but I have not found any threads with info on this...

So...my speedo stopped working. It started a while ago when it would sometimes stop registering speed momentarily, maybe once a month for about 5 minutes, but then it would start moving again and I wouldn't see it happening again for another month.

The other day it stopped and it hasn't come back to life since. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions of where to check? I have had a quick look at where the sensor is at the rear wheel, I just tried to move it while on the centre stand to see if it would pick up any signal but nothing, is not loose either.

Any help it'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,728
I had it. Was an issue with the computer. A trip to the dealer and a re flash of the computer fixed it.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR5ESU View Post
Hi!

I have searched for this but I have not found any threads with info on this...

So...my speedo stopped working. It started a while ago when it would sometimes stop registering speed momentarily, maybe once a month for about 5 minutes, but then it would start moving again and I wouldn't see it happening again for another month.

The other day it stopped and it hasn't come back to life since. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have any suggestions of where to check? I have had a quick look at where the sensor is at the rear wheel, I just tried to move it while on the centre stand to see if it would pick up any signal but nothing, is not loose either.

Any help it'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

it will either be your front and/or rear abs/sensor. remove it from it's spot with the torx and take a look at it to see if it's damaged. Also check to see if the slotted ring is bent or dented too.

cheers,
Mark
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
TR5ESU OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the quick replies!

I will have a closer look at the sensor, if that doesn't work I will go and see the dealer.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies!

I will have a closer look at the sensor, if that doesn't work I will go and see the dealer.

Thanks!
Let me know if it's your computer. mine isn't working either. although I damaged my sensor a while ago. I figure the magnet or whatever it is finally fell out.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
Speedo

I had mine stop for a while once..just filled up with mud in the general area. Hosed it and all was ok
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
TR5ESU OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I had a good look around the sensor, I unscrewed it and I cleaned it, it had a little bit of metal debris accumulated on the magnet, but that hasn't helped I am afraid. It looks like it's a trip to the dealer for me.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

one trick to reset your computer without visiting the dealer is to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
TR5ESU OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Doesn't that leave you with a light saying the bike is due for servicing which requires a trip to the dealer to reset anyway?

Cheers
Old 03-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,728
It may work, it didn't on mine. As to the service light, I don't know as that was the one part of the service that the shop missed.

My speedo had a lingering death. First bouncing around the actual speed. Went to a steady 20 over once the RPM level increased. Then it began taking naps for longer and longer periods with fits of frenzied activity. Then it died for a week only to reserrect itself for a short period ultimately to pass away again.

A simple warranty fix if you still have it. Flashing sounds so simple, but it requires extracting the program then reinstalling. Mine took hours because it took several attempts to keep the horn from blaring all the time. Computers are great except when they don't work right.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
TR5ESU OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update:

I took the bike to the dealer to check the issue with the speedo. The bike is not under warranty anymore though...
The diagnostic computer flagged a problem with the speed sensor but they couldn't find anything wrong.. as usual with things like this, the speedo was working fine when the bike was at the dealer.. They reset the error and said that maybe that would get rid of the issue for good, and if not they would order a new sensor and try that.

I picked up the bike just before the dealer closed for the day, rode 200 meters and the speedo stopped working and it was too late to go back to the dealer and next day I left for a week long bike trip...

So, rather than pay again for them to simply try a new sensor (they did say they would make a discount this time around though), I found the sensor online (Motorworks) and ordered it. I tried it before fitting it (you can connect it at both ends without having to route it through the frame) and it worked fine, so I fitted it and should be good to go.

I can't see any obvious damage on the old sensor... I guess it just broke..

I will have to take it in again to see if they can adjust the mileage on the bike.. (I did about 2500 miles on my trip with the sensor not working...)

Cheers.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:

I will have to take it in again to see if they can adjust the mileage on the bike.. (I did about 2500 miles on my trip with the sensor not working...)

Cheers.
Don't ever get a job as a car (or bike) salesman !

... Not unless you have an ethics bypass first!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
TR5ESU OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
Don't ever get a job as a car (or bike) salesman !

... Not unless you have an ethics bypass first!
haha yeah.. true.. The thing is I am not planning on selling it anytime soon.. so I rather have accurate-ish odometer, and by the time I sell it hopefully I have done enough miles on it for 2.5K miles to be insignificant :)