Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #16
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Hey check this out:

http://www.electrosport.com/street-b...phase-102.html

This looks like a brand new part to replace the OEM stator. It is only $125!

I would assume the F650GS stator is the same as the F800GS?

I also found this site: https://www.rmstator.com/en/motorcyc...categories.htm

It looks like they repair stators...

So the brand new stator that is after market is $125 and to repair a stator it is $150... hmmm... Do you think there is anything special about the OEM stator compared to a replacement?
It looks to me that the F650GS they are talking about on the first site is the older single. They also list one for the F800ST and my parts guide says that SHOULD be the same part.

Theres nothing special about the OEM stator, other then on at least some of the older bikes, the insulation is not that good.

Everything advertised for motorcycles is always more expensive. Sans warranty, i'd look for a shop that rebuilds in house.

It is laughable how easy it is to make a stator. 1: put a new nomex or fiberglass sleeve on each pole piece. 2: get varnished or glassed wire of appropriate size (14 gauge perhaps? easy to tell once your looking at it), wind it around each pole piece with the same number of turns as original and follow the pattern of the original. 3: Protect the terminations with glass tape.
4: dip the completed assembly in varnish or glass (glass is better). Bake it at the temperature the varnish or glass manufacture recommends. DONE

If you want serious reliability meg / hot test, dip it again and bake it again if your really hard core. DONE

The style of stator on the F800GS is the easiest to rewind in the world. If I had facilities like I did when I was an industrial electrician, it would take me 10 bucks in supplies and 15 minutes of labor to rewind it and use far higher temperature insulation then BMW did.

You should still be well within warranty Ender, but if you weren't, I would find someone that still practices the dying art of repair, rather then replacement.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #17
cathulu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
If you choose the rebuild route, why not see about throwing in some more windings for more current output...
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathulu View Post
If you choose the rebuild route, why not see about throwing in some more windings for more current output...
Certainly! Joel puts forth a good case for a rebuild... especially when you think about the options for higher quality.

Can someone explain to me how more windings would help? I understand thicker wire, better insulation and stuff like that but the geometry of the stator is a mystery.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

I would be cautious about thicker windings or more turns. There is room to add, but this is a PM alternator with a PM voltage regulator. PM regulators work by sinking excess capacity to ground.

The voltage regulator on the f800 is that thing on the left side with all the fins to get rid of heat. It already gets hot enough to toast bread, increase the alternator capacity and your voltage regulator may melt down.

It is certainly possible to increase capacity of the charging system, but for safety sake, the voltage regulator and wiring between alternator and battery would need to be upgraded too.

Beyond any doubt though, you could greatly increase the robustness of the stator insulation, which would seem to be what is lacking on at least some of the stock stators.

P.S. I am told BMW intends to eventually start selling the stator alone rather then only the whole alternator. This at least should reduce the cost of the failing part.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 05-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #20
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

This is a picture of the stator. it's bolted to the inside of the left engine cover.

P1020938
Old 05-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
I have an interest in the outcome of this thread.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
This is a picture of the stator. it's bolted to the inside of the left engine cover.
I believe you mean the right engine cover.

Here's another repair option:
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/stators.php

Bicyclist screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 06:12 PM
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
I believe you mean the right engine cover.

Here's another repair option:
http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/stators.php
Yes, yes I do! Please disregard my dyslexia lol
Old 05-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #24
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I just dropped off my bike at the dealer... waiting for the verdict.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #25
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Ender,

How did this story turn out? I am currently looking into stator options for my bike, the Electrosport unit is cheap but their reputations sucks balls.

Was yours replaced under warranty?

Cheers,
Lukas
Old 06-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #26
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
How did this story turn out? I am currently looking into stator options for my bike, the Electrosport unit is cheap but their reputations sucks balls.

Was yours replaced under warranty?

Hi Lukas! Funny you should ask, I was just about to report

Yesterday I finally heard back (after waiting a month with the bike at the dealer)... they are going to warranty the replacement and they have parts so it will be done Friday

They took a while to make the decision because of a long backlog of work and other extenuating circumstances at the dealership but I am still very happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I can inspect the parts when I go to pick up the bike (even though I won't be able to take them home since it is warranty).

I plan on riding my bike on a couple long day trips this weekend to make sure everything is in order!

If it wasn't going to be warrantied I would have taken it home and replaced the stator myself... probably having it re-wound at a professional shop.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #27
=o&o>
I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer: 130
Thank you everyone for that diagnostic procedure and pictures...

Shut off the bike to pick it back up 80 miles into the day, and 20+ miles from pavement . Got tow-started by an ATV, rode back up a nasty rocky and steep climb and to civilization . The bike did re-start after I had to stop for fuel about 140 miles later (25 miles from home). Ran about half of that without the headlight plugged in. Wouldn't even run the FI pump the next morning . Bike has 28.667 miles on it.

Pins 1-3 had 15v, pins 2-3 had 10.6v, pins 1-2 had 7 volts .

Dealer ordered a stator without calling me, so I think it will be covered under warranty .
My warranty expires next Monday .

EDIT:
Stator was toast - covered under warranty. No accessory lighting or other accessory electrical (yet). Only used the power outlet for a few hundred miles to power a GPS, and to charge a cel phone... I don't own any heated gear.

=o&o> screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 01:17 PM
=o&o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
I'm kind of surprised how many stators people seem to need to be replacing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 AM   #29
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I'm kind of surprised how many stators people seem to need to be replacing.
You and me both.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 AM   #30
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Mine just quit about a month ago (30,000Km). No parts at dealer so they found a used one in a blown up motor they had. New one is in, and will be getting it installed this week.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote