Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
jam-bro OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
How to identify an F650GS with the low-suspension option.

I'm in search for a used F650GS and I am trying to figure this out. Can some one please tell me if the low-suspension option involves JUST the rear shock OR doest it involve BOTH the rear shock and forks? Also, what is the best way to identify a bike that has the low-suspension option? I read somewhere that u can measure the distance from the center stand hex bolt to the ground. If it measures 10.25 inches it is standard and 9.25 inches it is low suspension. Is that accurate? Is there any other way? Would it make sense to convert(pricey)? Would it be something I could do? Thnx in advance for all your responses...

PS I want the standard height...
jam-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam-bro View Post
I'm in search for a used F650GS and I am trying to figure this out. Can some one please tell me if the low-suspension option involves JUST the rear shock OR doest it involve BOTH the rear shock and forks? Also, what is the best way to identify a bike that has the low-suspension option? I read somewhere that u can measure the distance from the center stand hex bolt to the ground. If it measures 10.25 inches it is standard and 9.25 inches it is low suspension. Is that accurate? Is there any other way? Would it make sense to convert(pricey)? Would it be something I could do? Thnx in advance for all your responses...

PS I want the standard height...
It's the rear shock and the side stand. Would cost probably around $1,000 to change. Although, if you're wanting to put in an aftermarket shock, which would be a good idea, your only extra expense if you get the low shock version will be the side stand.... oh, and also there's the low and regular seat issue but that's another can of uncomfortable worms.

cheers,
Mark
Old 05-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Crowley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Low suspension model involves the rear shock, front fork springs and the side stand. Im in the process of getting a low suspension bike up to the standard height for someone that has gained their confidence on the lowered bike.

The easiest way to recognise the difference would be that the side stand looks like a short stubby thing and for some reason have a huge plate welded at the bottom compared to the standard bike. Another thing is they dont come fitted with a center stand at all, to low. (I think that in the US the center stand is an optional item here it is a standard item)

The advantage of replacing the suspension to the normal height is that the bike now will have a better suspension than the standard bike. BMW sells cheap suspension bits by the way.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Shuggito
North Sea Tiger

Oddometer: 2
Everyone I have spoke to has said the only difference is in the rear shock and the side stand,I haven`t heard of anyone having to play with the fork springs?
Shuggito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Shuggito
North Sea Tiger

Oddometer: 2
[QUOTE=
PS I want the standard height...[/QUOTE]

I have a standard shock and sidestand in perfect condition less than 5k if you are interested,I was going to raise my lowered bike after I had a hip -op, but I have found that after fitting a new BMW comfort seat it is perfect size for me so don`t need the above anymore.Get back to me if you are interested....
Shuggito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Crowley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggito View Post
Everyone I have spoke to has said the only difference is in the rear shock and the side stand,I haven`t heard of anyone having to play with the fork springs?
Have to admit that Im not 100% sure on the fork spring as BMW doesnt have it listed as a different part. The local BMW tech however insisted that the fork spring is different.
Should have it apart next week and then should be able to tell the difference if there is any.
A lowered 650 is really low, you should be able to spot it fairly easily. Fixing it to the standard height is also not a major job I would however use the opportunity to get a decent shock into the equation. However the majority of complaints on BMW suspension comes from 800 owners, not really from 650 owners.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
A lowered F650GS twin or F800GS consists of:

-Shorter rear shock
-Shorter front fork springs
-Shorter side stand

Also, it is important to note that BMW states a center stand cannot be used on a lowered F650GS twin or F800GS.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #8
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 478
FWIW I have a lower suspension f659 and over the winter have added a cut down BMW center stand. It works great. It does not look like it will give me clearnace problems when cornering hard on pavement...but I must admit I have not gotten in any hard riding yes...frost heaves just gone but there is still a lot of sand on the roads.

ps lower suspension does not change the clearance of the suspension more than the stock when both are fully compressed...it just starts earlies and does not have as much travel... so fully compressed ground clearnance is the same for both...so the potential for center stand interferance with the ground is the same for both.

I got the moded stand from Morton's BMW
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
I have a lowered F650 twin. The forks are the same on the lowered and regular bikes. I put a standard Olins on it. Kick stand works fine. Of coarse the first time I took the lowered version to the Dragon I had to grind the kick stand stops a lot to keep it from dragging.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #10
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
I have a lowered suspension and have installed a standard center stand with no problems. I have been on some twisty roads (had to travel to the mountains) and have found that the first thing that scraped was my foot pegs.

Here is a video of me putting my lowered bike up on the standard center-stand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbdWx6XZels
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote