Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Fronnzy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Am I stupid? Touratech Hand Gaurd install... (NEVER MIND... I am)

Okay, I am not an engineer, but figuring out what size bolt fits into what size whole is something I'm kind of known for.

The instructions say to remove the original bolt from the bar end weight, done. Then insert the counter sunk spacer into the hand gaurd, done. Then use the supplied replacement bolts to re-attach the bar end weight/gaurd combo, d..., um. Huh?

The replacement bolt is as wide as the original. It does not fit through the spacer. Period. If I ditch the counter sunk spacer, it works, but looks busch league.

Answer:

A. The shop gave me the wrong gaurds.
B. Go without the spacer.
C. I am stupid.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"

Fronnzy screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 06:06 PM
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Fronnzy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronnzy View Post
Answer:

A. The shop gave me the wrong gaurds.
B. Go without the spacer.
C. I am stupid.
I just read through all the hand gaurd posts and came across the one post that could answer my question. The little screw, screws into the big screw.

Doh!

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
seaswood
seaswood

Oddometer: 169
Tt

Are the TT hand guards worth it, as BMW guards are questionable they would do anything.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
BMW guards will hold the entire weight of the bike with minimal damage... Ask me how I know... I do like the design of the TT guards better though.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
seaswood
seaswood

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS_Jay View Post
BMW guards will hold the entire weight of the bike with minimal damage... Ask me how I know... I do like the design of the TT guards better though.
Basically yes TT design is better
Old 05-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaswood View Post
Basically yes TT design is better
Found that one out the Hard a$$$ way, I hate BMW branded accessories...
Old 05-09-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 319
I have the BMW set on my 800gs and I put a set of the TT on my wifes 650gs. The TT are a much better design as far as wind, rain and roust protection. Durability we shall see, no crash tests yet.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #8
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Yes. My BMW hand guards survived bouncing off the front of a car at about 30mph, car was doing a similar speed, so a closing speed of 60mph. Hard enough impact to write off the forks and bars, but the handguards were fine. Plenty of lower speed drops and drops offroad too.

I don't question that the TT ones may be better, but the idea that the BMW ones are weak, purely for aesthetics, handguards like some manufactuers put on "dirt styled" bikes is nonsense.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
The TT are a much better design as far as wind, rain and roust protection.
Out of interest, do you have the spoilers fitted to them or just the handguards on their own?

Ceri JC screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 05:35 AM
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #9
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Yes. My BMW hand guards survived bouncing off the front of a car at about 30mph, car was doing a similar speed, so a closing speed of 60mph. Hard enough impact to write off the forks and bars, but the handguards were fine. Plenty of lower speed drops and drops offroad too.

I don't question that the TT ones may be better, but the idea that the BMW ones are weak, purely for aesthetics, handguards like some manufactuers put on "dirt styled" bikes is nonsense.

EDIT:

Out of interest, do you have the spoilers fitted to them or just the handguards on their own?

I wasn't trying to imply that the BMW ones were barkbusters or anything, but I had them on for a week, front wheel washed out in some sand, bike went down on it's side and the hand guard bent enough to make contact with the clutch lever. Not saying they are cheap, but they do have weak points (like those little tabs where it attaches to the bar for one) but otherwise they are pretty stout. I did get the spoilers ( wasn't a fan of having to drill them myself, but hey it's an adventure bike right?) but I still get some wind over them. They just don't look as robust as the TT ones in that regard. My .02...
Old 05-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 412
I crashed with my TT's (no spoilers). Went down on one side at around 25mph, hit something and flipped the bike over to the other side. Broke both wrists but the guards just needed a bit of adjustment. They look "good" now.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #11
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that the BMW ones were barkbusters or anything, but I had them on for a week, front wheel washed out in some sand, bike went down on it's side and the hand guard bent enough to make contact with the clutch lever. Not saying they are cheap, but they do have weak points (like those little tabs where it attaches to the bar for one) but otherwise they are pretty stout. I did get the spoilers ( wasn't a fan of having to drill them myself, but hey it's an adventure bike right?) but I still get some wind over them. They just don't look as robust as the TT ones in that regard. My .02...
WOW, over 100 drops and crashes on mine. Hit trees, rocks, dropped it in mud, sand, dirt, pavement. I never managed to appreciably bend my BMW F800GS hand guards. I don't know how to reconcile our different experiences.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #12
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
WOW, over 100 drops and crashes on mine. Hit trees, rocks, dropped it in mud, sand, dirt, pavement. I never managed to appreciably bend my BMW F800GS hand guards. I don't know how to reconcile our different experiences.
Perhaps I got mine from a bad lot... But it bent, and was ugly for a while until heat and determination met with a bench vice and made it ok... I did jack up the threads inside the bar a bit, but I think I worked that out...

This was all it took..
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Fronnzy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Perhaps I got mine from a bad lot... But it bent, and was ugly for a while until heat and determination met with a bench vice and made it ok... I did jack up the threads inside the bar a bit, but I think I worked that out...

This was all it took..
That's exactly why I went with the TT gaurds. I bent some Acerbis gaurds on my DR650. They never fit right after that, no matter how much I yanked on them. I am hoping the TT will provide enough protection while still being flexible.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #14
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
I did get the spoilers ( wasn't a fan of having to drill them myself, but hey it's an adventure bike right?) but I still get some wind over them. They just don't look as robust as the TT ones in that regard. My .02...
Sorry, I meant, "Do you have spoilers on the TT ones now?"