ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy
 
Johnny Drunkard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Salish Sea
Oddometer: 6,483
Seattle - Monterey: Coast or Inland?

Hey folks,

I plan on leaving Seattle early Tues. & camping Tues. night somewhere in southern Oregon. On Wed. explore northern California then camp hopefully within a 6 hr. ride from Monterey.

I was planning on the Coast, but don't want to get bogged down in traffic. So I'm considering going down 395 instead.

I'm hoping to camp free both nights.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco
You can't drink all day unless you get started in the morning.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
(sp?)
flaming ahole ;)
 
(sp?)'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Seattle, USA
Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Hey folks,

I plan on leaving Seattle early Tues. & camping Tues. night somewhere in southern Oregon. On Wed. explore northern California then camp hopefully within a 6 hr. ride from Monterey.

I was planning on the Coast, but don't want to get bogged down in traffic. So I'm considering going down 395 instead.

I'm hoping to camp free both nights.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
If you want to ride some dirt and have a GPS, I can send you a track. I did some amazing roads in N Cal coming back from SF a couple of month ago. In one 200 mile stretch, I saw 3 cars.

Send me a PM

Steve
__________________
Blue KTM Forum now!!!
--
'09 Husaberg FE570
'05 BMW R1200GS
(sp?) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy
 
Johnny Drunkard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Salish Sea
Oddometer: 6,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by spowers
If you want to ride some dirt and have a GPS, I can send you a track. I did some amazing roads in N Cal coming back from SF a couple of month ago. In one 200 mile stretch, I saw 3 cars.

Send me a PM

Steve
PM sent...spowers to the white paging phone...

No dirt this time, sticking to the tarmac.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco
You can't drink all day unless you get started in the morning.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
you taking a break?

Wherever you end up have a safe run man!
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Butthead
the name fits
 
Butthead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: the aroma of Tacoma
Oddometer: 59
JD if you have time I think the coast is the way to go. I usually ride from Tacoma to Eureka the first day then a long day to get to Montery.Highway 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg is great. The first time I rode it I had to stop and take sea sick medication. Theres lots of places to camp although I don't have any info on them. If you want to cut inland highway 128 is nice. Theres a little rode from highway 101 at Heraldsburg northbound you paralell 101 through the Napa Valley till you get to Lake Sonoma then turn towards the coast it comes out at Stewarts Pt. It's a narrow winding road with no traffic. Except a few logging trucks. I forgot to mention if your on 101 north of Eureka watch out for ELK. What's the weather look like?
Butthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy
 
Johnny Drunkard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Salish Sea
Oddometer: 6,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
you taking a break?

Wherever you end up have a safe run man!
Gotta take time to smell the roses...

How's the Bandit, ready for a Neah Bay run?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco
You can't drink all day unless you get started in the morning.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
Johnny Drunkard OP
sQuishy
 
Johnny Drunkard's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Salish Sea
Oddometer: 6,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthead
JD if you have time I think the coast is the way to go. I usually ride from Tacoma to Eureka the first day then a long day to get to Montery.Highway 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg is great. The first time I rode it I had to stop and take sea sick medication. Theres lots of places to camp although I don't have any info on them. If you want to cut inland highway 128 is nice. Theres a little rode from highway 101 at Heraldsburg northbound you paralell 101 through the Napa Valley till you get to Lake Sonoma then turn towards the coast it comes out at Stewarts Pt. It's a narrow winding road with no traffic. Except a few logging trucks. I forgot to mention if your on 101 north of Eureka watch out for ELK. What's the weather look like?
Thanks Butthead,

So, Tacoma to Eureka in a day?

Mileage?

Ride time?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco
You can't drink all day unless you get started in the morning.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #8
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Gotta take time to smell the roses...

How's the Bandit, ready for a Neah Bay run?

Gotta work saturday morning but would be interested in an afternoon run.....it stays light pretty late. I cant remember when your done on saturdays. Im planning on taking the thumper out on sunday to Reiter.


Bandit is OK. I went over it thoroughly and have a new light (blinker) coming in. If worst comes to worse Ill just tape it on (it works). Other than that its peachy..... (touch wood).
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #9
Butthead
the name fits
 
Butthead's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: the aroma of Tacoma
Oddometer: 59
Tacoma to Eugene 259 miles-Eugene out to the coast to Cresent City 242-Cresent City to Eureka 76 miles. 577 total. You can stop at Cresent City thats about 500 miles or 10 hours. Leave at 6am arrive at 4pm. Highway 1 north of San Francisco is really nice. One minute your out on the coast drive inland 15 minutes and your crossing the golden gate. Theres a 3 dollar toll going southbound over the bridge. Thers a scenic lookout right before you cross the bridge its a good picture stop. Highway 1 thru San Francisco is no problem what so ever. You can always stop in southern Oregon the first night then stop by Jenner or Bodega Bay the 2nd night.There shouldn't be much traffic mid week on highway 1 but it is slower than 101. If you stop at any of the scenic lookouts on 1 see if you can spot any whales.You usually can this time of year. What are you riding?
Butthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 01:10 AM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,164
Johnny, you're talking about some real tough days here.

Seattle to Monterey is 910 miles on the freeway, about 14 hours of driving at typical speeds, not counting breaks. The coast route is tremendously slower and would add 6-8 hours. Cutting over to 395 probably about the same, what you gain in speed would be offset by increased mileage.

Camping "within six hours" of Monterey would help, but riding to/from someplace N of the Golden Gate down to Monterey would make for some absolutely exhausting days fighting heavy traffic if you're going to the races.

My suggestion would be for you to find someplace to stay near Monterey so the race day commutes don't get totally out of hand. The coastal route in WA/OR isn't that interesting, so if you really only have two days, I'd probably just get on the freeway the first day, make some big miles, and get to someplace like Redding, then have a reasonable next day to explore some of the fine stuff in N. Calif on the way to wherever you're staying.

Taking 395 would result in 600-mile days. If you can do this, then you'd be in wide open spaces in S. Oregon to camp, although this area has 100+ deg temps in July.

Mostly, I'd suggest taking more time. I'm taking four days down and don't consider them to be easy days.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:48 AM   #11
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.
 
MaddBrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Irving, Tejas. They actually let me in...
Oddometer: 23,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Thanks Butthead,

So, Tacoma to Eureka in a day?

Mileage?

Ride time?
Jeebuz - do you want a blow by blow mileage count?

Seriously the coastal route is simply awesome! You wont see much traffic in the middle bit - especially if you leave early in the morning. I would allow 50 miles per hour - fast it aint! Prolly stating the obvious but it can get quite cold on the coast even in June - so take a warm sleeping bag and either some gerbings or extra layers (saying that it'll prolly be a heatwave of course). Watch out for LA from 100 miles north of San Francisco all the way to Monterrey. If you have time the Russian River and Point Reyes (Elk - fantastic scenery) are worth a detour.

Enjoy!
__________________
Farm escapee...
MaddBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #12
Burro X
>Bikes <Brains
 
Burro X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Houston TX & Wrightwood CA
Oddometer: 652
I am heading to MotoGP from Seattle also - leaving Saturday but must be in Morgan Hill CA late Weds PM for a Thurs am meeting before continuing on to Monterey - staying on pavement only - the fellow riding with me is on a sportbike - I plan on following the coast after Astoria OR , are there any other
nice roads off the coast highway inland ( Oregon, or N CA ) or sidetrips along the way anyone can recommend? I am riding from Seattle via Texas so this is my first trip down this section of coast although I have ridden Northen Oregon inland & St Helens areas on a bike several times. Thanks for any info -
Burro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:32 AM   #13
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard
Gotta take time to smell the roses...

How's the Bandit, ready for a Neah Bay run?
JD,

When you headed to Neah Bay?

Stosh
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 08:56 AM   #14
gentry
For Reasons Unknown...
 
gentry's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh23
JD,

When you headed to Neah Bay?

Stosh

Stosh - I'd be down for a late saturday run.....if I can talk JD into it.... Its a nice ride
__________________

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 AM   #15
Stosh23
Retrieval Expert
 
Stosh23's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Kirkland,WA
Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Stosh - I'd be down for a late saturday run.....if I can talk JD into it.... Its a nice ride
I'm in with no time restrictions - so anytime will be fine. Send me a PM - so JD doesnt get upset with the HiJack

Enjoy
__________________
He's Back ! Part 2

06 ST1300
Stosh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014