User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
nazza OP
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,294
Snail Trails Hinterland

On Saturday I led a snail trail ride through the hinterland from Landsborough to Kenilworth and Charlie Moreland campground in the Imbil State Forest. For the uninitiated Snail Trail’s are easy rides for beginners or those who just prefer a slower pace. They are how I got started with riding and are still the rides I join the most.

Early Saturday morning Anja and I rode to Landsborough with our bikes packed for camping. We waited to see who would show up at the BP, only three people had confirmed that they were definitely coming. We had no idea if anyone else was going to camp, being Mother’s Day on the Sunday had prevented a lot from being able to spend the entire weekend riding. Within half an hour there were seven of us although everyone else was just along for the day. Our fellow riders were John, Tanys, Fred, David and Lance.

I explained before heading off that it was to be slow ride with a lot of stops to check out the scenery and we decided the usual cornerman and sweep would not be necessary. I knew I would ride so slow that everyone would be close behind me anyway.

Mary Cairncross

Our first stop was Mary Cairncross Park near Maleny. This spot has some the best views of the Glasshouse Mountains and is popular with the tourist buses. We walked over for a look at the view.

After a bit of a chin wag we continued on to the Stanley River – Maleny road where I was looking for a turn off to Postman’s Track. I found this road on Google Maps and it looked interesting. It turned out to be a great ride, steep and narrow with lots of fun dips. The road winds though lovely farmland and forest and some of us saw wallabies. When we ended up in Conondale so quickly I was quite surprised. We stopped for a coffee and another chat at the Conondale store.

Little Yabba Creek

Our next stop was at the park where the Maleny – Kenilworth road crosses Little Yabba Creek, another picturesque spot. We had another long chat (are you starting to see a pattern here?) before we decided we should head to Kenilworth for some lunch.

Kenilworth on such a nice day is a bustling town so we chose a cafe that had spare tables and ordered some lunch. The food was good, although slow to come, and the company was even better. We sat there eating and chatting for quite some time. When it time to leave most of the others decided to ride to Charlie Moreland with us. It was the only dirt part of the ride after all and they wanted to check out our camping gear.

Goanna at Charlie Moreland

More Goannas

Sunday Creek road into the campsite is an easy dirt road through some peaceful bush and forestry. When we had chosen a campsite I almost ran over a goanna thinking it was a branch in the grass. There was four them in our site and friendly enough one walked right past my foot to walk under Charlie.

Anja's KLR and my Dr650

Anja was quick to start setting up her tent and showed us some of the new gear she has bought for her trip north. The tent was fast to put up and can be used without pegs, which I like. After a while the others left for home and we finished setting up and poured some wine.

It was quite a chilly night and we regretted not buying some firewood on the way into the campsite. A friend was supposed to be coming and bring us some but he didn’t show up. Another friend brought hot chips and stayed for a chat though, plus red wine keeps you a bit warm.

Our tents

The next morning we left early so we could get home for Mother’s Day. We rode up the Obi Obi valley to Mapleton, through Montville and down the razorback to home. It was a nice little ride and a very pleasant weekend, affirming yet again that adventure riders make the best company you can ask for!

nazza screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 10:03 PM
nazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
What's his Face
lost as

Oddometer: 3,574
looks like fun
spewin i missed it
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,335
Sorry I missed it too.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
cautiousbob
struggling along

Oddometer: 415
how did you like the black wolf mantis? (presume it was yours). i have the same one but have not yet put it to use. I put it up once in the backyard and found it easy enough to go up...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
nazza OP
Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousbob View Post
how did you like the black wolf mantis? (presume it was yours). i have the same one but have not yet put it to use. I put it up once in the backyard and found it easy enough to go up...
Its not a bad tent, it was my hiking tent before I started riding. I would like to get one slightly taller and faster to put up that doesn't need pegs.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Lost your cherry

Nice work Nazz....
Now you've lost your ride leading cherry, you can take the batton for more ST rides in the future.

Rob
Old 05-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
nazza OP
Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
Nice work Nazz....
Now you've lost your ride leading cherry, you can take the batton for more ST rides in the future.

Rob
Thanks Rob. I would happy to set up some more rides As long as everyone can put up with the true snails pace
Old 05-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,427
Its all about getting out there and enjoying it... Our lives are mostly lived at a faster pace these days so sometimes taking the time to stop and smell the roses is a good thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazza View Post
Thanks Rob. I would happy to set up some more rides As long as everyone can put up with the true snails pace
Old 05-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh :)

looked like a great time :)

and agree 100% with Rob's comment :)
Old 05-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #10
SwissAussie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
It was a very nice, most appreciated and enjoyed ride out to Charlie Morland. Naz you did a great job organising it all....and yes next time I get the fire wood too ; ) winter camping witha fire is great and some nice red hey ? !!! so great to get out you rock
SwissAussie is offline   Reply With Quote