User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,079
Brake fluid

Get that break fluid off your plastics it will eat them up. Why was the res leaking?
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #17
larlec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Interesting, I bought my f650GS from Engle and they shipped it to Denver as part of the deal. I would have ridden it as you did but I bought mine in January the year before last. Good luck, let me know if you're up Fort Collins/Bellvue way.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #18
UncleMike OP
How'd that happen?

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Get that break fluid off your plastics it will eat them up. Why was the res leaking?

No worries, taken care of. I guess the cap just came loose as I bounced it around on that dirt road. I tightened it up and it hasn't done it since.
UncleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #19
UncleMike OP
How'd that happen?

Affair ended

Well, since Iím here in the Parallel Universe, Iíll skip the ďride reports / BMW reviewĒ and cut to the chase. I sold the bike. Affair ended by me.
While doing all my research before buying the F650GS twin, I did read that Dual Purpose or Adventure bikes are primarily a compromise, as some would have the opinion. After putting 11K miles on mine in 18 months under varying riding conditions I have found this to be quite true. I knew it going in, but what I didnít know is how much of a compromise would it be and would it matter to me? It turns out it did.
While I was on the open road I found myself wishing I had a big road bike. The GS seems to need an elevated attention level on the road. It drained my energy at a greater rate than a good solid cruiser. My seat issues werenít about butt fatigue, more in the package space area. Even after performing the cutout, then later having a gel pack inserted, I couldnít get the seat right. I still had to frequently adjust my junk, to put it nicely. Cross winds would easily move the GS it to the other lane. I spent a week on it loaded for camping and couldnít use the side stand. I know I had less than 65 lbs in cases and dry bag and the GS felt like it would fall over or break the side stand clean off if used.

Not good for a high dollar bike. I wonít re-hash the warranty work and recalls here. (5 trips to the dealer in 18 months. )But I will mention that I didnít appreciate the maintenance schedule BMW tries to keep you on with the service light that only someone with a service computer can turn off. Itís not that I couldnít afford it; itís more that I felt like they were holding me hostage with it. Itís the principle and they pushed it too far with that trick for me.
While I was on the trail I would be pining for a light weight dirt bike. Something with the proper gearing for the descent down those rocky trails. Even with the 15T front sprocket the GS isnít it. I will say that the suspension was adequate, although I did make frequent use of the Ricochet skid plate. But it was all slow going. My strategy for the more difficult sections was to disable the ABS, put it in neutral and brake my way down. My 4X4 experience tells me this is all wrong.

While these experiences did not ruin my rides, it definitely was a factor. My curiosity that I had mentioned on the onset had been satisfied. In all I believe for that, it was worth it. I figured out that I appreciate my ride time to the point that itís not worth the compromise. The lack of a sufficient Dual Purpose bike solution for me just means that Iíll plan my ride time accordingly and take the right tool for the job. Not that big a deal.
The other thing I noted in my research was that a few commented that for the price of BMW GS you could get both a road bike and an off-road bike. Thatís true too. I got a pretty good deal on the GS at $9K almost fully loaded. I added about $300 of upgrades. Sold it for $8750. I then bought a 01 Vulcan 1500 Classic with 7K miles and a blinding amount of chrome for $4K, and have priced several useable XRs, WRs and DRs in the $2K to $3K range. A HUGE bonus here is that my wife loves the Vulcan. She wasnít too interested in going anywhere with me on the BMW, but now sheís asking ďwhen can we go for a ride? ď!
ďLetís go.Ē
Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

What?

You did all this in 6 days?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #21
UncleMike OP
How'd that happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
You did all this in 6 days?

Hmmmm, here's a clue that I've been too wordy.

No, bought the bike in Sept. of 09. Rode it in between trips to the dealer until March of this year.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #22
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Got ya

Just was looking at the date of the first post to today. Long time before you wrote the story... cool