Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #151
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
I want to thank everyone who took the time to pursue your curiosity as to who slapped me and why

This Baja ride was intended to be a casual scoot into some of the places less-traveled. I was looking for a cultural/social experience more than a killer tough ride... and I had some of that.

The injury is the worst since riding for 35 years, so I can perhaps consider myself lucky. I am on the mend and hope to be rid of the crutches in a week or two....and maybe back on a bike in late May ...

Baja still has some places yet to explore....one of those trips will be with the 450 and will use Bahia de los Angeles as a base for a week or two to saturate that area; another will be with the 690 for the area south of La Paz and around the east cape (beaches and mountains).

One of the things that has surprised me the most about this recent trip is the fact that I did not consume a single taco

I did have one grease sponge that was the world's worst taco in Ensenada on the return trip, but that doesn't count.

So, add the taco addiction to the list of reasons to get back there....probably within a year....

In the meantime, ride safely, take a few risks, and keep an eye open for your ...

excellent ubication

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #152
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 263
Cool, Ged. Thanks for the great ride report. Your trip and write-up of it will surely have infected others with the Baja bug.

Anyone on the fence about a Baja ride should just take the plunge...

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #153
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Great report! Thanks so much for sharing.
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #154
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,452
Bueno . Thanks for sharing. It's always great to go back to Baja, even if it's just in your mind while reading a RR at work .

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #155
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Just wanted to let all you FF's that I went riding last weekend on the 690 four days after the doc said I could dump the crutches

The first day was dirt roads, the second was some double-track and some downhill single-track that I chose to bulldog down, as the thought of falling right now is something I hope to avoid

I am looking forward to losing the limp as the ankle strengthens.

Thanks for all the kind words, gifts, unsolicited financial contributions, sympathy, and interest in another Baja story

Old 04-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #156
cactusreid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
so if i flipped some tires on your 450,are you ready for a dirt ride?? i hear you have a trials tire in your stash- so traction shouldn't be an issue. manliness maybe,but traction,no!
cactusreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #157
dtbushpilot
dtbushpilot

Oddometer: 4
Glad to hear that you're back in action Ged, I'm looking forward to our next ride, just let me know when and where.

I'm getting ready to head South to help our Nomad brethren look for the lost mission. This will be my first motorcycle camping trip so I'm glad that there will be people there with extra stuff as I'm sure I will be needing support. I'll let you know how it goes......dt
dtbushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #158
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

bump

Old 05-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #159
Watercat
. . . gravity sucks

Oddometer: 1,544
No Doubt . . . . . .

Nice RR, thanks for taking the time to post it up !

No doubt about it - Once you've been bitten by the Baja bug not only are you slapped by provocation . . . . . . .

Once you've been there, you'll be totally head-butted into dirt-bike Nirvana, right where you belong.

The Baja bug is desirable and usually impossible to get rid of once you're infected.

May you live to ride Baja !

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #160
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercat View Post
Nice RR, thanks for taking the time to post it up !

No doubt about it - Once you've been bitten by the Baja bug not only are you slapped by provocation . . . . . . .

Once you've been there, you'll be totally head-butted into dirt-bike Nirvana, right where you belong.

The Baja bug is desirable and usually impossible to get rid of once you're infected.

May you live to ride Baja !
True that! I'm trying to plan a way to get back there this fall. That place really does call to me, and the awesome riding is the icing on the cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #161
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
I was looking for a cultural/social experience more than a killer tough ride... and I had some of that.
I know it will be a few years before I'll be able to make it down there, but I've wanted to make a run into Baja, down the Pacific coast, and into Belize and Guatemala for a long time. Your quote above is why I want to do it. There is so much more to motorcycle riding than just covering the miles. There are things to do, people to meet, the list goes on.

Ged, I enjoyed this RR more than any other I've read in quite some time. Your words really match the pictures and it is easy to tell that you have a gift for telling a good story.

My life right now is so mundane that I found myself envying a man with a broke ankle. Granted that man was recuperating at a B&B on the Pacific Coast and drinking tequila, but he still had a broke ankle.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #162
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Pachap,
I am glad you enjoyed the story and visuals .

Your dream of going south should become a reality before life puts you into that trance that leads us to believe we can't do it.

Set the goal and approach it one step at a time...or just leap into it....know your style and pace and live within it...with the occasional wild transgression :kumbay a

Motorcycles can be the "destination "....or the means to the end.

One dream of mine is to spend several months exploring Mexico and Central America at a leisurely pace, enjoying regional differences, getting my Spanish under control, and being able to say..."Yep, I've done that !" instead of saying "I wish I'd done that!"

Thanks for your comments

Old 05-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #163
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Baja still has some places yet to explore....one of those trips will be with the 450 and will use Bahia de los Angeles as a base for a week or two to saturate that area;
excellent ubication
I like the time you spend in each area. I always think that sounds like a good idea but when I get down there, I have too darn much fun riding to slow down and smell the cacti. I tried on my last trip to more carefully check out the BOLA area and succeeded somewhat. I'll be looking forward to your ride report of the area and maybe I'll be able to slow down even more with some ideas from you.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #164
dtbushpilot
dtbushpilot

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Pachap,
I am glad you enjoyed the story and visuals .

Your dream of going south should become a reality before life puts you into that trance that leads us to believe we can't do it.

Set the goal and approach it one step at a time...or just leap into it....know your style and pace and live within it...with the occasional wild transgression :kumbay a

Motorcycles can be the "destination "....or the means to the end.

One dream of mine is to spend several months exploring Mexico and Central America at a leisurely pace, enjoying regional differences, getting my Spanish under control, and being able to say..."Yep, I've done that !" instead of saying "I wish I'd done that!"

Thanks for your comments

Let me know if you need a wing man on your mainland Mexico trip ged, I can always use a little ubication.......
dtbushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #165
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

bump