Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
VeeNeck OP
Banned

Oddometer: 371
Question BMW F800GS Carbon Fiber tank plastics?

Hey guys are their any real Carbon Fiber tank plastics for the BMW F800GS, because I cant find any. The Alpine White is nice but it is not me, I prefer stealth. And I am not felling the sparkly Lava Orange Metallic 2010 color options. Not sure why there is not a black or the mate charcoal gray which I loved.

So if you know of any Carbon Fiber plastics please post links and photos, much obliged.
VeeNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603891

Some assembly required.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post

Updated picture......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
VeeNeck OP
Banned

Question I just want to bye a set.

Thats great looks nice! But I don't want to make it, I just want to bye a set. Does any professional retailer, manufacture and sell a set of BMW F800GS Carbon Fiber plastics?
Old 05-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
Thats great looks nice! But I don't want to make it, I just want to bye a set. Does any professional retailer, manufacture and sell a set of BMW F800GS Carbon Fiber plastics?
Not that I`m aware of...... It would run you $1200-$1500 for the set...... Sure you don`t wan`t to make one???

Erling
Old 05-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,853
http://compare.ebay.com/like/1404983...=263602_325002

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
VeeNeck OP
Banned

Not thrilled with the current 2010-2011 color options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Not that I`m aware of...... It would run you $1200-$1500 for the set...... Sure you don`t wan`t to make one???

Erling
If I down size to the F800GS, I would be interested in real carbon fiber covers because I am not thrilled with the current 2010-2011 color options, I really liked the matte gray of year past, and I am not interested in having the panels painted.

I'm really surprised with the popularity of this motorcycle that they don't exist some ware yet.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #8
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeNeck View Post
If I down size to the F800GS, I would be interested in real carbon fiber covers because I am not thrilled with the current 2010-2011 color options, I really liked the matte gray of year past, and I am not interested in having the panels painted.

I'm really surprised with the popularity of this motorcycle that they don't exist some ware yet.
I am too...... It`s very time consuming to make.....but not too bad in parts. Labor counts for about 85% of the cost to make`em. Several friends of mine giggled, when I bought the BMW..... Saying that now people could finally afford the panels, and I should set up shop and make complete sets....... Rather than in the smaller holigan bike group I was/am in. Others took bets .....how long it would take before my 8GS would look like Darth Vador ( my smaller CF thumper)....... Part of the issue here is also the copy right. You can make prints for your own consumption.....but your on thin ice .....exposing yourself if you just make a copy of the factory pieces.....and then sell them..... Might not hold up in court.....but not the kind of attention a startup want to attract. Most will just make small changes to stay clear of the copyrights...... Perhaps sometime in the future.

Erling
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
Buying carbon fiber pieces

You might try "Bestem Powersports" in Tucker, GA (Google or look on ebay for contact info). I've been by their plant and they seem to be a pretty big operation.

A riding buddy looked hard at ebrabaek's carbon fiber projects and after pricing out the supplies and chemicals he could no do the projects for much less than what Bestem Powersports was selling them far. Doing the cf project yourself results in a lot of wasted supplies unless you have a lot of projects to do.

Looked at Bestem Powersports pieces and they appeared to be flawless. They also sell them on ebay for F8's and lots of other bikes.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark View Post
You might try "Bestem Powersports" in Tucker, GA (Google or look on ebay for contact info). I've been by their plant and they seem to be a pretty big operation.

A riding buddy looked hard at ebrabaek's carbon fiber projects and after pricing out the supplies and chemicals he could no do the projects for much less than what Bestem Powersports was selling them far. Doing the cf project yourself results in a lot of wasted supplies unless you have a lot of projects to do.

Looked at Bestem Powersports pieces and they appeared to be flawless. They also sell them on ebay for F8's and lots of other bikes.

Thats where the ebay link above gets their bits -

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1404983...=263602_325002
Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
VeeNeck OP
Banned

Thumb Hats off to ya!

Who ever made the real carbon fiber center panel did by the looks of it a amazing job, they look factory made.

I would have thought Ilmberger-Carbon would have done a set already, I will have to request them for the F800GS.

The F800GS needs more then just two color options in the future, are you listening BMW? It would be nice to pick from mutable color options when ordering a bike just like their cars, factory custom.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
rumblefish
xxx

Oddometer: 66
Why don't you swap your panels with someone who has a grey bike? There is a thread Orange <----> Grey on here. There was a poster in that thread looking to swap grey for white. Ask him if he's interested.

Failing that you could always respray. There's a thread with colour options too, somewhere buried on the board. I remember a guy who painted his bike all black. looked ok, but to me it lacks any contrast. I have the White one. I wanted the Grey too, but the White grows on you. Now I'm happy with it.
rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Lost Doug
BMW F800 Guy Smiley.

Oddometer: 48
Just stumbled upon this thread while looking for the same thing myself.
My tank plastic has faded due to long exposure to the harsh Australian sun :)

Found this: http://www.bestemusa.com/BMW-F800-GS...over_p_46.html

Looks like an affordable option.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
JRose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
This bike is Alpine White. Cost will run you about $50-65 for vinyl wrap material. Fairly easy to install. Even comes in CF look.

JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
chriselgui
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
This bike is Alpine White. Cost will run you about $50-65 for vinyl wrap material. Fairly easy to install. Even comes in CF look.

What company did you get the wrap from, I was thinking of doing it with PlastiDip.
chriselgui is offline   Reply With Quote