User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Laugh Its official I'm buying an 800, need dealer recommendations

After test riding and a bunch of questions I finally decided on a 800gs, anyone have a dealer to suggest around the PA/NJ area. Not only looking for a good price but also a great service department. I don't mind traveling to get a good dealer to work with.
Thanks
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
After test riding and a bunch of questions I finally decided on a 800gs, anyone have a dealer to suggest around the PA/NJ area. Not only looking for a good price but also a great service department. I don't mind traveling to get a good dealer to work with.
Thanks
hermeys port clinton is supposed to have a good shop

http://www.hermys.com/
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Beware

Stay out of Daytona & Orlando.....been there done that.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,519
Better to ask your region's BMW owners. Try asking the Mac-Pac group.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What's the mac-pac?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
FredRydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
What's the mac-pac?
Google is your friend. http://www.mac-pac.org

Fred
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
CO-or-bust
Wobbly Barn

Oddometer: 171
Thumb Max bmw

MAX BMW has the #1 and #2 BMW dealers in the country. #1 is in NH and #2 is in Troy, NY. They also just opened a new shop in CT (near Danbury). Have met Max (runs NH store) and his brother (runs NY store) and they are both great guys. I don't have my GS yet, but I hope to in the next couple of months... They sponsor the "Color in the Catskills" at Hunter Mt in October each year. Bring your GS next year, take a free off-road riding class from BMW's GS Riding course instructors who come up from Greeley, SC, and then ride your GS up the ski trails to the top of Hunter Mountain! They also run and sponsor various Dual Sport runs, have a GREAT reputation and are TRUE RIDERS, themselves. Check them out at MAXBMW.COM
Old 05-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
mlkdash
Righteous Dude

Oddometer: 75
MAX treated me well too

I got my 800 at MAX and was really happy with them. Yeah, they sell a lot of bikes, but I didn't feel like I was getting sent through as fast as possible just to get the sale. Everyone I dealt with was great and personable. (NH shop)
mlkdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,935
Mine came from Hermeys.Some of the nicest group of people I have ever meet. Personally I have not been back for service yet, but I have never heard anything bad about them. A friend bought a K from them back in the mid 80's and has been getting it serviced there every since.

They are a couple miles north of Cabelas on 61. 61 is (sort of) a divided highway at this point.
If you are heading north, make a Left before the dealership, make the first right, go up a couple blocks, make a right, then a right back onto 61s.
If you miss the LT and pass the dealer, go up around 1/2 mile (where highway devide stops) and make a U turn in the restaurant on the LS.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Anyone else, that 2 for Hermy's and 2 for Max, also anyone have advice on who to use and or who to stay away from ????????
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
FredRydr

rockycraig,

I can't believe you are choosing a dealer like this.

Buy from the closest dealer to you for purposes of regular service, unless you determine the mechanics are incompetent or dishonest. Some dealers give you loaners or parts/accessories discounts SO LONG AS YOU BOUGHT THE BIKE FROM THEM. Besides, you have to cultivate a good relationship with the dealer.

I have both approbation for and horror stories about Bob's, Hermy's, Velocity, and Trans-Am regarding new bike sales and service. None are perfect. (I have not yet used Montgomeryville except for buying accessories; they used to be a BMW dealer ten years ago, and took up the dealership again several months ago.) Personally, I use Velocity because it is 5 miles from me, I've gotten to know them personally, and I have a good relationship with the owner. He will often match internet prices on accessories. Hermy and Bob compete for sheer volume of new bike sales in the region, but both are quite a ride from me when I need service. Hermy would have given me a lower price for three bikes out the door, but then I would get no service benefit for years. So I keep my business close by. For accessories and gear, a ride to Hermy's and especially Bob's is great fun because of the inventory.

Looking for a vote here isn't going to do you much good in the long run, unless you do all your own wrenching and maintenance. If you do, Hermy will probably win on the new bike price in this region, and he has loaners.

Besides, are you in South Jersey/PA or North Jersey/PA?

Fred
Carlisle, PA

FredRydr screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 07:37 PM
Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 997
I also bought my bike at Hermy's. I feel I got a fair deal. They have been good to me and I would recommend them. I actually live close enough to Trans Am that I can hear their loud speakers paging people. I use them for service because it's convenient and they have been good at that. Sometimes I get grief for not buying my bike there but then I remind them they didn't have the bike I wanted and wouldn't have one for another 1-2 months. How can you expect somebody to wait that long???
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
rockycraig OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm not choosing a dealer just because of this post alone! I'm just trying to get some other people's experiences with dealers. I have already talked with many dealers and I have a few that I like but If a bunch of people on here said that they had horrible service or experiences with a certain dealer then I would think twice about going with them, or if everyone was happy with them that would give me more confidence. This is a huge purchase for me anyway!
Oh and the dealer closest to me I don't really care for too much, never have! I'm near easton pa, I don't care about driving.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
rockycraig,

I can't believe you are choosing a dealer like this.

Buy from the closest dealer to you for purposes of regular service, unless you determine the mechanics are incompetent or dishonest. Some dealers give you loaners or parts/accessories discounts SO LONG AS YOU BOUGHT THE BIKE FROM THEM. Besides, you have to cultivate a good relationship with the dealer.
You should read my thread about my clutch failure. The closest dealer is not always the best idea. I am now driving two and a half hours past my closest dealer to have my service done at a good dealer. Just because they sell you the bike doesn't mean they have any interest in cultivating a relationship of any concept of customer service.

P.S. Ironhorse BMW in Tucson sucks!
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote