User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
GSWheels OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
What needs done

Hi guys, I just bought an 09 F800GS. It has 4200 miles on it. I Just ordered Heidenau K60's for the front and rear. My question is what do I need to service on this bike, besides changing the oil? I am new to the dual sport world and have no idea what all needs done. I would take it to the dealer, but would like to work on it myself to get to know the bike better. Thanks for any input. Also what is the best service manual to get and where?
GSWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,714
Look in the thread index.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Welcome to ADV.

At some point, we all had your questions. As Wildman suggested, there is a ton of information already at your disposal. Make yourself useful. Take a few hours to read through the Forum where you posted. You can find more information, misinformation, opinions and speculation than you could ever hope for. All in one place.

The ADV search function is weak. To use google foo, type, for instance,
F800GS break-in service site:advrider.com This is vastly superior to what the site offers for searching.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWheels View Post
Hi guys, I just bought an 09 F800GS. It has 4200 miles on it. I Just ordered Heidenau K60's for the front and rear. My question is what do I need to service on this bike, besides changing the oil? I am new to the dual sport world and have no idea what all needs done. I would take it to the dealer, but would like to work on it myself to get to know the bike better. Thanks for any input. Also what is the best service manual to get and where?

BMW sells a very expensive service DVD that is really well done. It has excellent illustrations and is very detailed. Haynes also has a service and repair manual for the F800GS. I find the Haynes easier to use. It has detailed lists of what service should be done when. A handy gadget to have is the GS-911 Diagnostic Tool for BMW Motorcycles. I bought mine here http://www.beemershop.com/ They also sell the Haynes manual. Have fun on your new bike!
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
bmw service dvd can be had on ebay as well... its from a guy in canada and it works great
xxxshiftxxx is online now   Reply With Quote