User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
Marcbar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Delegate 2011. Snow and Ice!

Well that was a bloody good weekend of adventure.

We started off from my place with 8 riders but after half an hour we were unfortunately down to 7 riders after Gagan had an off on a very badly pot holed road called The Three Chain road. His back wheel hit the edge of a very deep pot hole with steep sides and that sent his GS 1200 into a mad fish tail which he tried valiantly to control but in the end was unable to. End result was two hard panniers smashed and contents strewn down the road and the handle bars were bent down 90 degrees on the left hand side rendering the bike unusable but luckily Gagan didn't have a scratch on him.
Anyway after the BMW road side assistance was organised we headed off again to Dargo where we dined on Bacon and Egg rolls and coffee. While at Dargo I discovered that my X Challenge had a fuel leak which was dripping onto the exhaust, not good. We investigated further and found that when my mechanic had put the inspection cap back on the top of the fuel tank he had kinked the o-ring so in the end it was an easy fix.
Now we were running quite late and McKillops Bridge was looking doubtful. We had a really good run from Dargo to Omeo with good track surface and we got to Omeo at 4pm. Now we knew for sure that we would not be getting to McKillops Bridge that night so decided to fuel up, buy some grog and stop at sunset where ever we got to. Where we got to was about half an hour from Omeo just inside the Alpine National Park. We managed to set up tents and get a fire going before it started raining softly at first and then heavier as time went on. As the rain got heavier one after the other the guys went off to bed until only Dick and an ADV guy Bernie (who had asked to tag along with us) was left. They continued in the rain getting more and more drunk until the rain stopped and the snow started. With the rain stopped I thought I would get up and join the action again by bringing out the "Toe Cutter Tokay". We were then joined by Chappy and Phil and a bloody good laugh we had watching Dick flop around like an untrained seal. Bernie then went down hill very fast and disappeared and eventually we all went to bed as well.
The next morning we woke to it still snowing and most of us had had a very cold night in bed especially Muggles who had brought with him a Black Wolf Cocoon Bivy which leaked like a sieve! Dick and Bernie were very hung over and were slow in packing up which was a difficult process. First we had to break the snow and ice of our tents which came off in sheets and then try to get it all packed away before it got filled with snow again. While packing up I nearly stood in a pile of something that Bernie had left to feed the wild animals and which incidentally was only a metre from where Dick was sleeping and mind you the wild animals were not really interested. Then it was a case of praying that the bikes would start and thankfully all eventually did start.
We left the camp site and started to climb up to the Wombargo Range at an elevation of 4650 feet and the snow got deeper and deeper and at the top was about 3 inches deep. Contrary to popular belief the snow was quite easy to ride in and I found it was best to cut through virgin snow rather than follow in another bikes wheel marks. The only real problem was visibility through our visors and at times I found that I had to ride with the visor up! The only incident we had was as we were coming back down the other side Bernie who was on a 650 V Strom with dual purpose tyres dropped his bike on a corner that came back on itself and was also quite steep. He just lost traction and couldn't stop the bike and down he went with the only damage being a bent foot brake lever. Bernie it has to said did an amazing job only dropping his bike once on the weekend and it can be all put down to his riding skills and smooth use of his bike, well done Burnie. Once we had dropped below the snow line we started to have a great time on the rest of the ride with the track being great great fun to ride.
We arrived at the Delegate Hotel at about 1 pm and tucked into great steak sandwiches with chips and gravy. We expected to see other riders but none were there and we had started to think that maybe we would be the only ones turning up. But slowly in dribs and drabs they started rolling in all with stories to tell of their ride to Delegate.
A some what sedate night was had by our group because we were all still a bit emotionally tired from the night before. It was great to meet a lot of other ADV riders and I can't remember the names of all those that I spoke to but blokes like Dobbo, Beetle, BMW Steve and of coarse Gad were some that I had a good chat to. Especially funny was the story Dobbo told of he and three others who had been at McKillops Bridge waiting for us on Friday night. The next morning they woke up and took off and some how took a wrong turn and eventually came to a town they thought was Bonang but was in fact Orbost "farking good navigation boys".
The trip home was a quick one as we needed to be back in Trafalgar by Sunday night to discuss with others our impending trip to Laos. So it was straight down the Bonang which was in great condition with the beautiful sight of a sign warning 126kms of winding road!!!
All in all a great weekend of riding and ADV friendship.

Marcus

Meeting at Nelson's of Trafalgar Restaurant which incidentally is Gippslands leading restaurant not that I'm biased! Happy smiling faces unsure of what we were in for as the weather forecast was for cold wet and snow!

Gagans beat up 1200 GS but it will live to do more adventures.

Not sure this was the warmest camp spot but when you run out of light you don't have much choice! Seen all on the ground were the remains of the night before, empty wine bottles, beer stubbies, Bundy cans and the old Toe Cutter Tokay!

Packing up in this weather is not fun or easy!

My accommodation for the night complete with ice roof.

We had to litterally chip the ice off the seats before we left.

Riding through snow was a new and wonderful experience.

Bernie or bbjay did a great job getting through the snow on his V Strom with road tyres.

My X Challenge loved the snow and it was great to see three other X Challenges at Delegate.

A few more photos from Chappy "mcperformance".

Bernie "bbjay" had done really well keeping his big V Strom upright with road tyres but this was a tight corner with a steep decent and he just lost all traction.

You can always rely on Ed "Muggles" to be on hand to have a laugh at you!

A nice view coming down towards McKillops Bridge.

It doesn't look like it here but it is quite steep and Dick lost traction and sat there spinning on ice trying to get going again.
I was looking forward to getting off the Beemer to push his Kato up the hill!

Keeping warm by the fire. Between the fire and the Toe Cutter Tokay we were nice and warm!

This is a man who clearly has a drinking problem.

Right up the top we stopped and the sun came out briefly and it was a magnificent sight.

Marcbar screwed with this post 05-16-2011 at 06:28 PM
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004

WOW! Great pics Marcus.
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Russ

Oddometer: 16,101
Great RR and Pics.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
ferals5
f5eral

Oddometer: 1,016
All in all a great weekend of riding and ADV friendship.

Hi Marcus you guys were a group I didn't get to talk to even though I was there till they turned the lights out.

Thanks for your pics & rr, great stuff.
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Dash65
wherethefarkarewe?

Oddometer: 302
Nice pictures, sure hope you had heated grips.

Cheers,
Dash.

Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional
Dash65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,571
Great pics man
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
Love it!

Did we mention the dood who took a # 1 & 2 in the middle of the night, and nearly got lost trying to find his tent (afer the crap froze to his arse)?
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
bbjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Good write up Marcus

And thanks for the company for the ride up all good ,, I did feel sorry for Gagan as he missed a good trip but it could have been a lot worse, as the bike can be fixed up pretty easily,, Dick and i were trying to outdo each other and i thought i had him when he said rain was running halfway down his back ,but no he was to tough ,, Never again will i drink that stuff called toe cutter ,, The name should have set of alarm bells but no in the balmy conditions it didn't ,,Thanks anyways Marcus,,,I cannot wait for the next one , just wait to see what i roll out with then Knobbly tyres it will have, maybe even snow spikes from some eastern block country , I am rambling on a bit now ,Have to go and check out ebay for dirt bikes ,, Good to meet all you blokes

catch
Bernie
bbjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Great RR

very well done, never seen snow let alone ridden in it.
boy60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
Marcbar OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel View Post
Love it!

Did we mention the dood who took a # 1 & 2 in the middle of the night, and nearly got lost trying to find his tent (afer the crap froze to his arse)?
Ahh yes that would be Dick or DeeCee on here. After going to bed pissed and out of control he realised that he needed to have a pee so out of the tent he got and only went a few paces before he discovered that he also needed a poo! So back to the tent to grab some toliet paper and by now things were getting urgent so he bolted out into the bush. Far enough away now he settled in for a cold poo and when all was done he stood up and all he could see was black and white but no sign of the camp This is he thought how people die out here so he thought if I hold my head lamp up high I should be able to see something in the camp reflect and sure enough he spotted something on one of the bikes and was able to get back to his tent and have a less cold sleep than what he could have had.
That Toe Cutter Tokay has a lot to answer for
Marcbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,757
Great report Marc Would have been a great trip.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 AM   #12
Dee Cee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Wicked Confused by the evil drink

Great ride report again Marcus.

Mother nature wasn't going to wait while I kept track of where I was dashing thru the snow with my little toilet roll. All's well that ends well.

Top ride even if the old trusty agricultural 640 was a little tempramental to start in the snow.

When I figure out the smugmug thing I will attempt some pickies.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,145
Nice thank for the RR

love the X Challenge

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 8,016
Great photos, thanks for sharing
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,674
Excellent. As posted elsewhere, potential page 1 photo there. "Straight to the pool room."

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote