Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #91
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
No lube/soap in the hot water. Added it when I was just about to mount them. One key thing I did was to take a large regular pliers, keeping the jaws closed, inserted the "head" of the pliers into the grip so the grip stretched over them. Then I opened the jaws to stretch them as much as possible to loosen them up. Reheat in the water several times, twist 90 degrees, and repeat the stretch. Rinse repeat.

Then at some point when the pre-stretch seemed good I started to fold back the grip on it self so that is is turned inside out. This then is subjected to the stretching but using a slightly smaller pliers. Reheat as needed. Once the grip is about 1/3 folded back on itself, stretched, and heated for the last time. Then a quick lube, and go go go, before the rubber cools too much. Once the inside of the grip is in place then unfold the rolled over section in to place.

This way you are not tugging on the grip with tools that will tear the rubber. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #92
BOHUNTR
Character and Honor Count

Oddometer: 435
I slipped and sliced my palm open this afternoon. Fortunately I have sutures and lidocaine at home, but I'm done with this problem; 6 stitches later.

Hopefully I will find another solution. I'm not a fan of the tennis wrap, foam or neoprene grips.
BOHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #93
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Wow. Mine went on really easy. Far easier than I expected actually.

Cut off ends, simple green spray on, slip on, bold bar ends on, wait for it to dry and ride.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #94
BOHUNTR
Character and Honor Count

Oddometer: 435
I found a pair of grips in the junk parts bin at the local shop this morning (2 pair actually) they were pro tapers, but called the "Rockstar" and were thinner than the renthals. I bought two pair, 9.99 and installed only the throttle side grips using the simple green and they slid on in 5 minutes.

The renthal's I tried were the medium compound (gray color) and by comparison are very thick when compared to the pro tapers. I am guessing the compounds make a big difference. The pro tapers are single compound and I compared them to double and triple compound at the store and the single was the thinnest of them all. Maybe the ones I got were too hard to stretch comfortably... The pro tapers feel fantastic, the only area that throbs is where the sutures are!
BOHUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #95
itsforrest
Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer: 330
The soft Renthals worked great for me. I put them on last spring and will probably put on a new pair later this spring or summer. I use rubbing alcohol to lube them and they slide right on, no tools needed. I just dribble a bit on the existing grips and inside the new ones. It dries quickly and completely. I don't like to use any kind of soap or oil that may leave a residue since I ride in the rain and am no stranger to big puddles or water crossings. I don't want the grips to start slipping when they get wet.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #96
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 858
I was installing my new HDB handguards tonight, and took the opportunity to install my new grips as well. I haven't ridden with them yet, but they feel a thousand times better than the stock grips so far.

2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #97
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsforrest View Post
The soft Renthals worked great for me. I put them on last spring and will probably put on a new pair later this spring or summer. I use rubbing alcohol to lube them and they slide right on, no tools needed. I just dribble a bit on the existing grips and inside the new ones. It dries quickly and completely. I don't like to use any kind of soap or oil that may leave a residue since I ride in the rain and am no stranger to big puddles or water crossings. I don't want the grips to start slipping when they get wet.

Two pair, soft compound. Use both throttle side grips. That's the ticket.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #98
Mark5PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
I used YeeHaa's cricket bat handle grip method. Worked great!! Found them on Amazon (matrix pattern), $5 each (bought 2), + $4 ship = $14, and will make 3 sets. Cool colors too. Used a large broom handle to roll up and onto the old grip.

Endless Mountains,PA
Mark5PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #99
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 174
I purchased the Pro Grip Gel grips (two pair so I had two skinnies). Cost me less than $20 and 20 minutes of time. Have the OEM guards.

My stock grips came off easily. I put the heated grips on high until they were toasty and pliable. Then, at the inside end of the grip made a slit with a knife and peeled them back.

Great improvement. Vibe free too!

Kyle
3Rrr
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #100
GS_Jay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
I slid a set of the pro taper soft compound grips over the existing ones using the OP's hairspray method, and they slipped on like a glove. Waiting on the hairspray to dry and I'm gonna try 'em out so far so good though!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #101
YeeHaa
Fang it!!!!

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark5PA View Post
I used YeeHaa's cricket bat handle grip method. Worked great!! Found them on Amazon (matrix pattern), $5 each (bought 2), + $4 ship = $14, and will make 3 sets. Cool colors too. Used a large broom handle to roll up and onto the old grip.

Great work - The colour looks cool as well. pretty inexpensive and easy huh!

...it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
YeeHaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #102
Mark5PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Yea. The pic doesn't do the color justice. They match the lava orange quite well.
Using the broom handle made it too easy. Thanks for the tip!

Endless Mountains,PA
Mark5PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #103
FNMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Rrr View Post
I purchased the Pro Grip Gel grips (two pair so I had two skinnies). Cost me less than $20 and 20 minutes of time. Have the OEM guards.

My stock grips came off easily. I put the heated grips on high until they were toasty and pliable. Then, at the inside end of the grip made a slit with a knife and peeled them back.

Great improvement. Vibe free too!

Kyle
3Rrr
I had these grips on my WR and I love them. I just ordered a set for the F800. Letting the grip heaters warm up first is a great idea.

Thanks for the tip!

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
2010 BMW F800GS Lava Orange
FNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #104
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
i found these when i was up at color in the catskills and they work great. easy install, cheap and work perfectly with heated grips: http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #105
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
i found these when i was up at color in the catskills and they work great. easy install, cheap and work perfectly with heated grips: http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/Home_Page.html
What do they look like?? I couldn't find a picture on the website....

Are they similar to: http://www.beemerboneyard.com/foamgripcov.html
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote