User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
JoeDuck OP
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 917
Trickle charger/tender

Im going away for about a month (finally a vacation!) and would like to know if I should invest in a trickle charger (tender?).

Ive let my Duck sit that long with no ill effects but am unsure as to whether or not I need something for my F650GS. Im probably being overly concerned but the Duck didn't have a GPS that allegedly draws juice even when the GPS isn't in place.
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,769
Charge the battery then disconnect it.
If the weather or storage is HOT. Remove the battery and put it in the fridge if it will make you feel better.
I stored batteries in the cooler in the past and they are good once warmed up 6 months later.

Cheap trickel charger? Might look at allelectronics.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,728
I feel you should have one anyway. All the engine does is put power back in the battery, it don't necessarily charge the battery correctly, it just puts power back in it.

A good trickle charger will help maintain the battery by doing things like slowing down (and removing) sulfation (that is where deposits grow on the lead plates and cause the battery to seem like it is weak). I beleve that a good charger might actually make the battery last longer.

http://www.batterychargers.com/Produ...tName=94026717
I know Walmart sells them for around $20.00.

The first time you connect it the charge light may take 24 hours to turn green. This is the changer doing it's Desulfation Mode.

Just don't use it on those new light weight batteries that are not lead acid that are hitting the market.

Edit: Forgot to add. I uses the supplied connector and wired it direct to my battery. It hangs out on the LS of the frame in front of the faux tank. I have 2 chargers that I rotate between 4 batteries all winter. Then in the summer during riding season I hook it up every other week or so for the desulfation mode to run.
I even charge my dual battery diesel pickup (that I only drive 4K miles per year) with this little thing.

TowPro screwed with this post 05-18-2011 at 05:13 PM
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,629
"Yes"

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
"Yes"

HF
+

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
+3. Yes.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,911
Thumb + One More, though ...

I have left bikes unattended for months on end without a tender and they started right up, including, at the KOA campground at Daytona Half-A-BikeWeek, the Street Rod with its "always on" security system that started once, then, a few minutes later - click, click, click, click. So off the the Hardly-Doodleson shop I went (on the KTM, and bought a new one - for $118! Could have got the same battery from Bohannon for ~$80, delivered, in two days if I'd ordered at home (or could have waited at the campground)! I think not using the tender contributed to early demise of the battery which partially recovered after blasting it with a 10A charger, then leaving it on a Junior for a long, long time, but I no longer trust it. (And before y'all say anything, I was a Diesel Boat Engineer and know what I'm doing with batteries. Yes, it was dangerous but I didn't stand right over it while "shocking" it back to life; I was as far away as the extension cord would reach (50' + the charger cord) And no, I do not recommend you try this at home, kiddies!).

I had one Deltran Battery Tender Junior that I bought in Oct '98 (Harley branded so it was $40) then, in January, IIRC, I bought two new, improved ones (blinking lights now tell you where you are in the charge cycle) from Jafrum International for $19 each (two days later they had 'em for $17 but that lasted only a few hours), and a month ago a friend was playing around with his iPhone thingie with barcode scanner and found Juniors somewhere for $15.99. They Work! and are small enough to tuck in a saddlebag, tailbag, T-Bag, whatever so that I never go anywhere without one any more. Right now I'm camped at a friend's place on the Sam Rayburn Reservoir and have two with me for the three bikes. You can also buy "spare" pigtails so you can have several bikes ready to hook up, moving one Junior from bike to bike. I think those were $6 each from Jafrum with free, fast shipping if you buy $100 worth of stuff. (No, I do not own stock in Jafrum; they're just a great new company and right now they have a "cash back" program going that "saves" even more.)

Big for Deltran BT Juniors!
garf

Edit: For one month I wouldn't sweat it; your battery will be fine if it's not already on its last legs.

garfey screwed with this post 05-19-2011 at 06:40 AM Reason: Add Info/Opinion
garfey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I recently purchased the Optimate4 charger on line somewhere for $49. Seems like a good charger. They sell them (for $69) at my local BMW motorcycle dealer. I have powerlet plugs wired directly to the battery on all my bikes and I use an SAE to powerlet extension to go from the charger (SAE connector) to the bike (powerlet). No muss, no fuss.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
I recently purchased the Optimate4 charger on line somewhere for $49. Seems like a good charger. They sell them (for $69) at my local BMW motorcycle dealer. I have powerlet plugs wired directly to the battery on all my bikes and I use an SAE to powerlet extension to go from the charger (SAE connector) to the bike (powerlet). No muss, no fuss.
What Tonopah said.
I have the same setup on the K100RS and direct SAE pigtails on the other four up-and-running bikes. No batteries in the dead or "project" bikes.