ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #271
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Beautiful Ride

I left Friday around 3pm and made my way to Five Mile to start my ride along the PET. Weather was clearing from all the rain we had during the week. I was hoping for good rodes with minimal dust and/or mud, and that's exactly what I got. Conditions were excellent. I did get rained on breifly just before I got to Simpson Springs Station, but nothing too bad. I took a detour down South to Topaz Valley where I camped for the night. Then back to the PET in the morning. The stretch from Wendover back to SLC on I-80 wasn't as bad as I imagined. Total milege according to my GPS was 401 miles.(GPS was acting up a bit, so I could be off a little) Enjoy the photos.

ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #272
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit View Post
Or go a few miles south of Faust (5 miles south to be exact) on SR36 and gas up at the Silver Sage in Vernon. That are on occasion out of fuel but its a charming little joint with all the goodies you could want in the desert
Yesterday was one of those days where Silver Sage was out of fuel. They have been out since Friday and hope to have more by Monday. I asked how often they ran out, and they said it isn't too often, but when they do get low, it seems as if they are not the highest priority to get filled up again. I had enough fuel where it wasn't an issue. Other bike riders there were hopeful of making it to the next stop though.

I did have a late lunch there. I made the mistake of sitting at the counter where I could see everything that went on in the kitchen. I won't go into details, but it was quite reminiscent of the food handling practices that I saw go on in the back alleys in China. Sanitation and safe (by U.S. standards) food handling isn't a priority. It has been over 24 hours, and I'm still feeling fine. I'll not dine there again, and I still can't believe I went through with it yesterday.

Very nice people there though.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #273
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Topaz Ride

As they say, "great minds think alike"...or so it seems. I compliment you, Scott, for your optimism.

I waited until Sat morn to verify that the sun would shine. I, too, headed out on the PET. Not so much for the PET as that I want to explore more of that area & the PET is a good path. I really wanted to go thru Cherry Creek but it looked way too white n muddy so I stayed on the low lands. I went out thru Stockton for a last gas top off, picked up the PET at Faust & headed west.

Stopped to check out this marker ...

I rode to near Fish Springs & turned south. This was a road I had not been on before. Quite a few old mine in this area. One of the better tipples...

Stopped at Topaz mtn for lunch. Sat up on a hill with this view toward Delta. Love the desert with these cloud patterns...

I wasn't in the mood to ride to Wendover & return on the slab so my plan was to loop back on dirt. I would have loved to ride up Cherry Cheek but with the snow being so low I decided to cut back to the PET on another road...

Gas is always a risk in the desert so I always carry reserve. I have never needed it but I feel better. I hit Lehi at 210 miles on the tank & still not sputtering. 5.1 gal = 40 mpg....pretty typical for the BADB.

Nice ride! I plan to return as soon as the weather breaks. Much to see...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #274
ScottG
Razor Sharp

Oddometer: 264
Harcus too bad we missed each other out there. Does this place look familiar?

I must have missed posting that picture with my original report.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #275
ILuvUMan
Opinions Vary

Oddometer: 22,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I left Friday around 3pm and made my way to Five Mile to start my ride along the PET. Weather was clearing from all the rain we had during the week. I was hoping for good rodes with minimal dust and/or mud, and that's exactly what I got. Conditions were excellent. I did get rained on breifly just before I got to Simpson Springs Station, but nothing too bad. I took a detour down South to Topaz Valley where I camped for the night. Then back to the PET in the morning. The stretch from Wendover back to SLC on I-80 wasn't as bad as I imagined. Total milege according to my GPS was 401 miles.(GPS was acting up a bit, so I could be off a little)
Scott:

Nice new bike. Nice out there isn't it? Great pictures.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #276
powho
n00b

Oddometer: 4
We should ride together some time. Just got back from a two day around the GSL adventure. Here's the track.

Day 1 To Wendover via the Transcontinental Byway
http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=...b5a5e3aeab6247

Day 2 back on the PET
http://maps.google.com/?t=p&z=15&ll=...a21e6dd244c46a

Even managed to win gas money in Wendover!

powho screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 05:24 PM
powho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #277
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by powho View Post
We should ride together some time. Just got back from a two day around the GSL adventure. Here's the track.

Day 2 back on the PET

Nice links on the route..........haven't seen it put together that way before....instructions?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #278
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Wendover

That route was on my "To Do" list. If the weather ever breaks...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #279
ILuvUMan
Opinions Vary

Oddometer: 22,160
Quote:

Day 2 back on the PET

That would be a heck of a ride. Never done that Transcontinental ride B4. Have done PET many times, but just the opposite direction (East to West). That kind of tricky finding that turnoff road to Gold Hill. I don't recall it being marked. If you have GPS (looks like that's what you used), you'd be good to go.

Let us know details.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #280
Old Jeeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvUMan View Post
That would be a heck of a ride. Never done that Transcontinental ride B4. Have done PET many times, but just the opposite direction (East to West). That kind of tricky finding that turnoff road to Gold Hill. I don't recall it being marked. If you have GPS (looks like that's what you used), you'd be good to go.

Let us know details.
Not too tricky. Turn at the garbage can. (And there is a sign).
Old Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #281
powho
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Not hard to find the turnoff it's marked. The Transconti on the other hand, not very well marked in a few spots. As you can see I made a couple wrong turns out there. Guess I should have added some waypoints!

I use an app on my Iphone called GPS MotionX to track as I ride. Use it skiing and biking as well.
powho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #282
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,714
Quote:
Not hard to find the turnoff it's marked. The Transconti on the other hand, not very well marked in a few spots. As you can see I made a couple wrong turns out there. Guess I should have added some waypoints!

I use an app on my Iphone called GPS MotionX to track as I ride. Use it skiing and biking as well.
Fkucing Iphones........I'm going Droid...........

Very cool BTW.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote