Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #271
kerji
n00bie!

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
I'll get this.

BMW advise to keep it below 5,000 rpm for the first 600 miles and to vary your riding i.e. don't do 600 miles of highway, mix it up a bit.

There was a debate a while back about whether the "below 5,000 rpm" was necessary as some consider it's better to ride it like a hooligan from day one. You choose.

Welcome to the site and enjoy your F800GS.
thanks Wildman, i tink i better stick to the 5000rpm theory. its not too late to ride like a hooligan after that....lol
kerji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:54 AM   #272
nat_han
2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Bleeding the brakes is not hard, just takes time....be patient and approach it methodically. It is always wise to bleed the "whole system" when you change a hose. Air could get trapped anywhere (above or below your junction. So, I'd recommend you gravity bleed downward to fill the new line. Then, bleed upward (pumping oil in from the bottom bleeder at the caliper....all the way to the top.

I flush mine both directions several times, until I see no more air bubbles at all anywhere. Then, go ride it a while. Bleed it again. Ride....bleed it again. Sometimes this is what it takes, unless you have one of those fancy high-dollar vacuum bleeding machines....what I've never had the chance to try out.

HF

p.s. DOT 4 on the F800.

p.s.s. Special Note: there is a tiny bleeder valve up on the brake lever perch which allows you to bleed the air form the piston pump chamber. This is wonderful addition. I didn't notice it at first, and had a hard time regaining my brake pressure after changing a line. After discovering this little outlet, and bleeding up thru it as well, VOILA, brake pressure returned.
THANKS HighFive!

Will approach it with care...

On a separate note, have you read the Haynes Manual?
Regarding the clutch free-play measurement figure, the BMW service diagram quotes a free-play of 3mm (the amt, that the clutch cable slackness should have)... but the Haynes mentions 1mm.

i only have the Haynes manual with me. but i remember seeing a thread here in this forum with a picture saying otherwise...

the other issue is that Haynes mentioned that BMW does not have replacement brake pump kits for the front of the 800/650GS. BMW only has spare parts for the REAR pump kit... hmmm...
this is funny cuz almost every other Japanese bike has these in stock...
Haynes says to replace the whole brake pump unit if spoilt.
nat_han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #273
zombieKILLER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
This might sound stupid.
Im planning to get a new bike next year. I currently have a harley & drz400 sm. Just got back from a 2000 km roundtrip with the harley. It was alot of fun. But I didnt have any saddle bags & had to use a backpack w/c really was inconvenient. We had a back up vehicle until the last 500km w/c I had to put on the backpack. But I dont wanna use my harley for that anymore. Also had problems with my airfilter stalling the motor in heavy rain w/c we encountered. I have a screaming eagle heavy breather (open type cone filter).
We're planning to do it again next year.
Its gonna be around 3000-4000 km roundtrip. All asphalt. No offroad. We're gonna have a backup vehicle all the way & back to carry our things.
I know that the BMW GS800 would be the right bike for that trip but how about just around town or short rides? Im asking this is because im just gonna use it once a year for long distance riding & the rest gonna be short rides & around town. Im also considering the 2011 ducati monster 796. How fast is the GS800?
2010 Yamaha Mio
"NEVER GO LESS THAN FULL FORCE"
zombieKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:18 AM   #274
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post

Regarding the clutch free-play measurement figure, the BMW service diagram quotes a free-play of 3mm (the amt, that the clutch cable slackness should have)... but the Haynes mentions 1mm.
The original specification was for 1mm of play which I believe the Haynes manual is using. However, the '10 and '11 model handbook states 3mm whilst a recent BMW technical bulletin that someone here mentioned revises this to 5mm. So take your pick I guess.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #275
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieKILLER View Post
This might sound stupid.
Im planning to get a new bike next year. I currently have a harley & drz400 sm. Just got back from a 2000 km roundtrip with the harley. It was alot of fun. But I didnt have any saddle bags & had to use a backpack w/c really was inconvenient. We had a back up vehicle until the last 500km w/c I had to put on the backpack. But I dont wanna use my harley for that anymore. Also had problems with my airfilter stalling the motor in heavy rain w/c we encountered. I have a screaming eagle heavy breather (open type cone filter).
We're planning to do it again next year.
Its gonna be around 3000-4000 km roundtrip. All asphalt. No offroad. We're gonna have a backup vehicle all the way & back to carry our things.
I know that the BMW GS800 would be the right bike for that trip but how about just around town or short rides? Im asking this is because im just gonna use it once a year for long distance riding & the rest gonna be short rides & around town. Im also considering the 2011 ducati monster 796. How fast is the GS800?
If you plan to ride only asphalt and around town consider getting a 1200GS. You'll be much more comfortable on such a long haul. I don't know how you can even consider the 796 for touring.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #276
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Or a even just a cheap used Vstrom if you're not going to get offroad into the dirt. They are great, comfortable commuters....that will eat up the road miles, for a fraction of the cost.

BUT, if you want agile, mobile, & hostile....wrapped into one go-anywhere package, then you probably need an F800.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #277
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by digdesign View Post
I don't know how you can even consider the 796 for touring.
I am with Chi....798 whether it is the 800GS or our 650GS....would you consider going from Vancouver to NY, to Maine and back touring? It was great fun and although not a luxury touring bike...it toured just fine
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #278
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
If you plan to ride only asphalt and around town consider getting a 1200GS. You'll be much more comfortable on such a long haul.
I will agree with this aspect of your post contrary to ChiTown and Soph9. I would imagine that the number of seat and screen swops that people have experimented with to make the 1200GS comfortable for long mainly asphalt tours pales into insignificance when compared to the 650/800GS's. The 1200GS is, in my opinion, far better equipped straight from the starting gate for long distance asphalt hauls. If only the darn thing wasn't so heavy.

That's not to say that the 650/800GS's aren't up to the job but I don't believe that is what digdesign was meaning to say.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #279
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
If you plan to ride only asphalt and around town consider getting a 1200GS. You'll be much more comfortable on such a long haul. I don't know how you can even consider the 796 for touring.

I bought mine the beginning of April, put 3000 miles on it the first week i had it, and another thousand since then, could not be happier!!!

Is it the best bike ever for touring... No
Is it better than the 1200 for touring... No
But it is alot cheaper than the 1200, and funner IMHO

grndzr0 screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 11:33 AM
grndzr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #280
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
i bought mine the beginning of april, put 3000 miles on it the first week i had it, and another thousand since then, could not be happier!!!

is it the best bike ever for touring... No
is it better than the 1200 for touring... No
but it is alot cheaper than the 1200, and funner imho
+1
Old 05-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #281
digdesign
Hack

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
Really?.... that's a bold statement that I happen to disagree with.
Haha, fair enough. But if he has no intention of going off road I think he should at least be looking at an F650. Although, if he is concerned about how much power the F800 makes compared to the 796 the 1200GS might be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI View Post
That's not to say that the 650/800GS's aren't up to the job but I don't believe that is what digdesign was meaning to say.
Thanks, that is what I meant. I love the versatility of my F800 but there are many bikes that are better suited for asphalt touring.
digdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #282
Hardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Been a proud owner of a 1200GS, HD Roadking, 800GS, all will get you down the road. How you want to go is your choice. Each bike is neat in its own way. Cost of operation may not be important to you, but look at that as well as insurance cost.
Ride often & Ride safe
Hardroad
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #283
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
Touch up paint

Where can I find touch up paint to match the white paint on the plastic pieces? A tool slipped out of my hand and I made a nice gouge.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #284
zombieKILLER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I will think about it very carefully what I really want. How tall is the F800? Im already tiptoeing on my DRZ on both sides. I would definetely not be able to reach my foot on the ground on the GS1200 & way more expensive then 800 thats why 1200 is out.
2010 Yamaha Mio
"NEVER GO LESS THAN FULL FORCE"
zombieKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #285
soph9
Bike Addict

1200GS has a low seat...I can even get my feet down with a low seat easier than the 800....just fyi