Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Searching for Old Bridges in Central Illinois

Today I met up with JUNIOR650 with plans to show him some old abandon iron bridges across the Mackanaw River. I found 5 such bridges last fall and winter and will continue to search for more old bridges in central Illinois as time permits.
Below is a Google map of the locations of the 4 bridges we plan to visit today.

UPDATE; Here is a gpx file of 475+ old bridges in Illinois.

We met up at the Caseys General Store in Mackanaw and the sun was shining bright (but this didnt last for long, more on that later). We headed west out of town on Route 9 to the first bridge (B3). This bridge is in rather good shape with a concrete deck. You can drive over it but the other side goes to private property. Location... N40 28'01.8" W89 26'16.2"

AS we leave heading to the next location we notice the weather changing very quickly. The sun is gone and the wind is picking up. Its getting dark off to the west. Bridge B2 cannot be accessed from the north so we pass it up and continue to bridge B4. This bridge is not crossable so we stop on the north side and look around and take a few pics.

Here are a couple pics from the south side of the bridge. This is the best way to come in, as there are several miles of gravel road.

Location... N40 28'36.30" W89 32'18.31"

We start to here thunder and see lightning so we mount up and head out again to the next bridge (right into the storm). We only ride a couple more miles and the rain starts. Gental at first, but this does not last long. It is raining hard when we reach the bridge (B1). This bridge can be crossed and has a trail that leads into the timber where we retreat under the cover of large trees.

Pic under trees.

I didnt get any pictures of this bridge as it was raining too hard. This is another nice bridge with a concrete deck. I will go back and get some pics and post them as time permits.
location... N40 30'47.93" W89 24'08.5"

We waited till the rain let up and headed back to the bridge we could not get to from the north. The rain started again along with the wind. We decided to pull into the Caseys General Store in Hopedale to wait the rain out. We grabbed a snack and rehydrated while the rain and HAIL fell outside. After 20 min we were ready to try it again. The GPS led us down a long gravel/sand road to towards bridge B2. When we arrived there was a truck parked by the opening in the fence to get up on the leeve to get around the fence to the bridge :( With no way onto the leeve we turned around and headed back. There was a large thunder storm off to the west again and we decided to head home.

Location... N40 26'20.08" W89 34'2176"

As I find more old iron bridges in the area I will update.
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"

rhino_adv screwed with this post 12-01-2011 at 05:28 AM
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote