Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #286
zombieKILLER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
really? I saw it & it looks tall. But the price is out of my budget. Thats why its the 800 vs 796 monster. almost same price range.
How about maintenance? 3,000km oil change & 12,000km valve check? thats it? We dont have a BMW dealer in my area. Living in an island. Closest dealer would require me to ship it for a 24 hr boat ride to the city.
2010 Yamaha Mio
"NEVER GO LESS THAN FULL FORCE"
zombieKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #287
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo357 View Post
Does anyone know of a cooling fan upgrade? My fan seems to be inoperative, even though I've tried blowing / washing any dirt, dust, and debris out. I just don't think the fan has enough torque to handle a little bit of dirt, which is inevitable in desert conditions. Really annoying when I have to stop cause the bike is overheating...
I had my fan quit and got a warning light - low oil pressure. The fan quit because I got a rock inside the fan shroud and it jammed the blade. The rock got there after a crash on my F8, but my buddy had the same problem on his F650GS without a crash - riding a dirt/gravel road apparently he flipped up a rock and it got in.

Fortunately the fan is protected by the Canbus fuse system so it "pops" the circuit breaker. The breaker resets when you cycle the power, so if it is jammed it will work once the jammer is cleared.

Can you spin the fan with your finger? If not you probably have crud inside the shroud.

Let us know how it works out.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #288
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanI View Post
The original specification was for 1mm of play which I believe the Haynes manual is using. However, the '10 and '11 model handbook states 3mm whilst a recent BMW technical bulletin that someone here mentioned revises this to 5mm. So take your pick I guess.
at least in the states, 5mm was in a bulletin that only pertained to early 09 models and only at PDI till the first service.

3mm became the standard, not for any technical reason, but because it was noticed a chunk of the demographic that rides these bikes does not know what proper free-play feels like and how to notice when it is going out of adjustment. Therefore, free-play adjustment was specd for 3mm as it is likely to be ok between 6000 mile services.

In reality, .01mm to 11mm is fine so long as this range is never exceeded at any point during operation.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #289
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieKILLER View Post
This might sound stupid.
Im planning to get a new bike next year. I currently have a harley & drz400 sm. Just got back from a 2000 km roundtrip with the harley. It was alot of fun. But I didnt have any saddle bags & had to use a backpack w/c really was inconvenient. We had a back up vehicle until the last 500km w/c I had to put on the backpack. But I dont wanna use my harley for that anymore. Also had problems with my airfilter stalling the motor in heavy rain w/c we encountered. I have a screaming eagle heavy breather (open type cone filter).
We're planning to do it again next year.
Its gonna be around 3000-4000 km roundtrip. All asphalt. No offroad. We're gonna have a backup vehicle all the way & back to carry our things.
I know that the BMW GS800 would be the right bike for that trip but how about just around town or short rides? Im asking this is because im just gonna use it once a year for long distance riding & the rest gonna be short rides & around town. Im also considering the 2011 ducati monster 796. How fast is the GS800?
I own a F800GS and a Ducati Hypermotard 796. One reason I bought the Hyper over other Ducati models I tested (including the Monster) is that it is more comfortable to me due to the upright riding posture. Even so, after a few hours, not so much fun. I would definitely not want to spend long hours touring in the drop down position on the Monster. The F800 on the other hand is my touring bike. Mine has been modified with more of a dirt bias but I still ride hours of pavement to get to the dirt on many of my recent trips. I also use the F800 around town a lot. I find its a great tourer / general purpose bike. Not rocket fast, but quick enough. I routinely cruise up to 80mph and also corner pretty hard and it handles this with ease, even with full panniers, TKC's and a smaller front sprocket. I agree with the above posts that there are probably more comfortable road-only tourers (maybe even a V-strom) in this price range. For short trips and Hooligan cornering, Ducati is the stuff. And while I love every Ducati I have ever been on, I just dont generally think of them as touring bikes (except maybe the Multistrada which I have not ridden).
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #290
zombieKILLER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
WW Ronin, thanks for your insight. The BMW really is a more practical bike then the monster since it can go to other places where there are no asphalt roads & still be comfortable to ride. Are there low seats available? im only 5 7 & I think I will have a hard time on stops.
2010 Yamaha Mio
"NEVER GO LESS THAN FULL FORCE"
zombieKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #291
rediRrakaD
Whoopdie do

Oddometer: 695
Answer to a "stupid" problem

In an effort to help out New Owners...
I just installed a BoosterPlug and wow! Best upgrade yet.
(O.K. the bashplate was pretty cool to.)
No more hesitation and the twitchy throttle is all but gone.
Slow off-road is much more manageable.
There are other brands that achieve the same result and threads that discuss this at length... bottom line this idea works.
Must admit I was nervous sending $150 out with no test drive...
My fellow local owners have had a test and have sent $$$$.
Cheers,
S.

rediRrakaD screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 09:32 PM
rediRrakaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #292
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Two More

First one I think I have researched enough to have my own answer but is 20mm the tallest risers you can put on the 650 without having to screw with new brake/clutch lines?

Second. It seems pretty clear everyone recommends Chevron gas to keep those injectors clean but what about the octane? Just putting regular in them?
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #293
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
First one I think I have researched enough to have my own answer but is 20mm the tallest risers you can put on the 650 without having to screw with new brake/clutch lines?

Second. It seems pretty clear everyone recommends Chevron gas to keep those injectors clean but what about the octane? Just putting regular in them?
Yep and Yep
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #294
Moto4Balance
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 24
BMW Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Where can I find touch up paint to match the white paint on the plastic pieces? A tool slipped out of my hand and I made a nice gouge.
Based on a recent thread (link), I just discovered this supplier of BMW paint:

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=42245252

Iíve never used the paint, so I canít comment on quality or colour match.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:42 PM   #295
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4Balance View Post
Based on a recent thread (link), I just discovered this supplier of BMW paint:

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-colo...TOKEN=42245252

Iíve never used the paint, so I canít comment on quality or colour match.
Thanks. I ordered a touch up pen.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #296
Moto4Balance
Gas Passer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Thanks. I ordered a touch up pen.
Happy to hear I was able to help. Will be interested to hear how well the colour match works out for you.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #297
DaBen
On the road til furt

Oddometer: 135
Tomorrow is the big day

So tomorrow at 5am I leave to go get my New(to me) F800GS.

Now for my Questions.
1. I will most likely need a seat. I am Heading to Oregon in July and will be on highway 99.9% or the time. Thinking Seat Concepts but just not sure yet. The price is intriguing for sure.

2. With this trip I am thinking tires too. I'm think Shinko 705 but want to hit the dirt once I'm out there. The bike has TKC80 on it now. I was thinking of shipping them to my Dad's place(Oregon) for when I get out there.

Thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
DaBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #298
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Handgrips

My handgrips are looking a bit worn. Particularly the left one (clutch hand and all that).

Being heated, BMW naturally wants AUS$274 each.

Heating is essential, as I live in the cold parts. So are there any alternatives that don't require major wiring alterations etc?

I am an electrician, but I'm a really lazy one. If it needs wiring, it'll probably either never get done, or get done dodgy.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #299
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Heating is essential, as I live in the cold parts. So are there any alternatives that don't require major wiring alterations etc?
Here is a good ideas post from yetigs. There is also a post somewhere on fitting fat grips - takes a similar approach.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=20
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #300
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
My handgrips are looking a bit worn. Particularly the left one (clutch hand and all that).

Being heated, BMW naturally wants AUS$274 each.

I am an electrician, but I'm a really lazy one. If it needs wiring, it'll probably either never get done, or get done dodgy.
When I added my throttle tamer I replaced my grip with one meant for one of the K bikes. $9.99. Like Yeti's photo, you can replace them by very carefully cutting the old grip with a very sharp knife or razor. Do not cut all the way through. After you have sliced the grip you can tear it with your hands and replace. As long as you don't cut the heating element is is straightforward.