ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #16
Hack
Meet George Jetson

Oddometer: 3,692
Just wanna say, you Virginy guys are freakin awesome when somebody needs help
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,228
put more air in it. It'll seat.
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Fixed I think. Screw camping I checked in at econolodge. Did I mention while I was riding in the tow truck a bee flew up my sleeve and stung me on the back twice and then when I shook him out of my shirt he stung me on the ass. There is a chilis I can walk to. I'm going to get drunk. Firebug out.
firebug24k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #19
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,228
Good for you. bummer on the bee thing. Cheers.

There is an ABC store next to Red Lobster at the mall on
greenville ave about a mile from you.

mtnflow screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 06:03 PM
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:40 AM   #20
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tire held overnight, back on the BRP. Hopefully it holds all the way home! Thanks for the help and advice, guys!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #21
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Closeout

Well, I made it 70 miles down the BRP until I decided to stop for gas. Took the exit to Beuna Vista and man that's twisty - even got the edge of a peg down on one of the tight corners, a first for me. I was thinking hey, the tire has held for the last 70 miles so I should be good to go, right?

Well you can guess what happened, after 4 miles of the tight stuff, I got to Beuna Vista and checked my air pressure... 10#. I lied to myself and thought ok, maybe it's just a slow leak, I'll air it up and be fine. Back to 25#, and back through all the twisties again, pushing it hard... Make it about 6 miles this time and something feels.... odd...

Yep, zero pounds. I'm surprised it didn't blow out, I credit it to the slime turning it into a slow(er) leak instead of going completely flat in 200 feet like happened the first time.

So now I'm stuck again with no cell reception, pushed the bike to a gravel driveway and started repatching... Took the entire wheel off, used the wrenches in the stock toolkit as tire irons and pulled the whole tube. The patch was still there... about 1" from the hole . I guess I heated the tires up and the patch slid.

At this point, this awesome older dude comes up to me all dressed for church. I guess he walked over from his house about 400 feet away down the road. He takes a look at the tire and immediately offers to help me patch it up at his shed. So we walk down there and get ready to patch when his son shows up on a fourwheeler. I can't make this shit up.... turns out he's an ADVRIDER member (VAmountainboy I think) who saw this thread yesterday, and soon realizes I'm the same guy, just now broke down in his driveway instead of 70 miles up the road in Staunton. Turns out he's way smarter than me and has a whole set of tubes back at his house. A short ride on the four wheeler and some awesome help and a new tube and I'm good as gold!

I learned a few lessons:

1) Don't push a patched tire that hard, that was just dumb.
2) Get a toolkit with some spare tubes, tire irons, and CO2 (already on order).

This forum is awesome. Thanks a million for your help!

P.S. I was riding down the road with the bicycle pump strapped to the top of my camping gear when I notice the handle has slid out, it looked pretty hilarious (but made me 4 feet wide, oops). I wonder what the cars that passed me thought about that

firebug24k screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 06:08 PM
Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,762
Get a pump. CO2 is nice but you only get one shot from each. That reminds me I need to get a pump so I don't have to steel my mountain bike pump.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #23
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ordered that hybrid co2/pump - got some good reviews here. Called second wind.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Knock on wood, perhaps, but . . . tube patches have proven most serviceable, to me!

A hand pump speaks preparedness, but . . . an electric pump is most convenient.

I should talk; a wood-screw flat, and the absence of on-board tire-repair essentials, robbed me of the recent Ride-To-Eat gathering in Wardensville, WV!

Do as I say, not as I do; and--may I learn from my own mistakes!

--------------------

Just for future reference, firebug24k: Was the Slime used the variety for tubeless tires, or the compound made for inner tubes?

XDragRacer screwed with this post 05-22-2011 at 06:44 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
VaMountainBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Hey glad you made it home ok . Hope you didnt get to wet it rained hard after you left . It takes 1 flat to become aware of what is needed in your pack to take care of it weve all been there once . Ill bet we never see another post from you about having a flat and needing help. Glad I could help and Ill be looking for that beer.
VaMountainBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Xdragracer: it was the slime for tubeless. Not too impressed with it, but at least it didn't make anything worse... No issues with balance in the tire either.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #27
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Patches work, but there is a key to using them. You must be patient and let the adhisive dry to a dull sheen before you apply the patch. If you do not wait, the patch will pull off or move.

Just my 2 cents after learning the hardway.
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #28
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug24k View Post
Fixed I think. Screw camping I checked in at econolodge. Did I mention while I was riding in the tow truck a bee flew up my sleeve and stung me on the back twice and then when I shook him out of my shirt he stung me on the ass. There is a chilis I can walk to. I'm going to get drunk. Firebug out.
Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Glad you got her fixed and back on the road. Adventures like this renew, somewhat, my faith in mankind.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
firebug24k OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMountainBoy View Post
Hey glad you made it home ok . Hope you didnt get to wet it rained hard after you left . It takes 1 flat to become aware of what is needed in your pack to take care of it weve all been there once . Ill bet we never see another post from you about having a flat and needing help. Glad I could help and Ill be looking for that beer.
Thanks again man! Yeah I got dumped on for about an hour straight. The aerostitch kept me dry except in my lap, which soaked through after a while but not that big of a deal. Can't imagine sitting there in the rain trying to patch it