User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #91
OlafofOregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Giant Loop's BMW F800GS - Shivered?

Hey! I've been looking at many options for the forks on Giant Loop's F800GS - Ohlins cartridges, RaceTech, etc., etc., etc.

This solution looks great! For hard off-road riding, is the RXV with longer travel going to be the best solution?

If you hear about forks available PM me!
OlafofOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #92
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Hey! I've been looking at many options for the forks on Giant Loop's F800GS - Ohlins cartridges, RaceTech, etc., etc., etc.

This solution looks great! For hard off-road riding, is the RXV with longer travel going to be the best solution?

For my conversion I'll be keeping the travel the same as stock. That's a detail to consider along with you rear setup and your suspension pro.

I've got a lead on a set of forks. Check your PM.
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #93
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
forks

OlafofOregon,

If you are who I think you are, we met and talked at SSBMW on Saturday. I talked about riding with Dave last summer in Redmond. Too bad I didn't know you were interested in the Shiver forks. My forks have been with the suspension guy for a week now. I bought them on Cafehusky.com for $50.

OlyRider screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 06:41 PM
OlyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #94
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post

Longer travel is something to consider. Keep in mind on this conversion you use the BMW fork tubes. Not 100% sure if they can handle longer travel internals but I think they can.

I would think you would want to add travel to the rear at the same time with a longer shock. Can probably get one from Hyperpro.

That said, for me the stock travel was enough so I stuck with it. I'm really happy with the conversion...
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #95
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Longer travel is something to consider. Keep in mind on this conversion you use the BMW fork tubes. Not 100% sure if they can handle longer travel internals but I think they can.
Yes they can. With RXV Shivers (or any other Shivers which originally have 300mm of travel in dirt bikes) you can go all the way up to 270mm of fork travel in F8GS if you want.

I have been having 250mm of fork travel now for last 20tkm without any problems. But I would also suggest to have some kind of longer travel shock at the rear end too to keep the bike in balance. I have personally custom made WP Fusion shock with 250mm of rear wheel travel.

Sweeeet combination...
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #96
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,798
Olaf - get those tubes man - sure will be nice

No more of this!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #97
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by -W- View Post
Yes they can. With RXV Shivers (or any other Shivers which originally have 300mm of travel in dirt bikes) you can go all the way up to 270mm of fork travel in F8GS if you want.

I have been having 250mm of fork travel now for last 20tkm without any problems. But I would also suggest to have some kind of longer travel shock at the rear end too to keep the bike in balance. I have personally custom made WP Fusion shock with 250mm of rear wheel travel.

Sweeeet combination...
Wait, wait, wait... you have a WP shock on your F800GS? According to huckleberry that's not possible! You must be lying!

Sorry huck, you just cracked me up with your whole "no suck thing as a WP for an F800GS" thing a while back. Even after photos you still didn't believe it.

So the WP is awesome?

If I may ask, how much? Where did you order it?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #98
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Wait, wait, wait... you have a WP shock on your F800GS? According to huckleberry that's not possible! You must be lying!

Sorry huck, you just cracked me up with your whole "no suck thing as a WP for an F800GS" thing a while back. Even after photos you still didn't believe it.

So the WP is awesome?

I'm sorry Griz, but I haven't got a single idea what do you mean by "No suck thing as a WP for an F800GS thing a while back"...? Or are you referring to somebody else 's earlier post..?

Don't know about "awesomenes" of it because fine tuning is still in process, but I guess it is fair to say that it is "quite nice" at least..

It was originally custom made by WP Germany according to my own specs, then I made some modifications of my own and finally the valving will be fine tuned by the same guy who did my Shiver forks valving (I have had it on my bike for some months and it will be fine tuned next winter when the shock will be serviced anyway).

WP couldn't provide enought stiff & long spring, so now it has been modified to have proper spec Öhlins spring. It has half the preload than the original Sachs has etc. so the feeling of the shock is quite a bit different. Also proper 250mm amount of travel instead of stock 215mm makes wonders when riding true offroad (I can also adjust rear wheel travel now between 230-270mm like I can do with the forks). You can for example do some proper jumps if needed and offcourse it is a bit different animal in every other way too. Also two up offroading is now possible because of compression adjustments & longer travel (We do some two up trail riding with my gf).

And it cost arm, leg, head and many other body parts...

-W- screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 04:41 AM
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #99
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by -W- View Post
I'm sorry Griz, but I haven't got a single idea what do you mean by "No suck thing as a WP for an F800GS thing a while back"...? Or are you referring to somebody else 's earlier post..?

Don't know about "awesomenes" of it because fine tuning is still in process, but I guess it is fair to say that it is "quite nice" at least..

It was originally custom made by WP Germany according to my own specs, then I made some modifications of my own and finally the valving will be fine tuned by the same guy who did my Shiver forks valving (I have had it on my bike for some months and it will be fine tuned next winter when the shock will be serviced anyway).

WP couldn't provide enought stiff & long spring, so now it has been modified to have proper spec Öhlins spring. It has half the preload than the original Sachs has etc. so the feeling of the shock is quite a bit different. Also proper 250mm amount of travel instead of stock 215mm makes wonders when riding true offroad (I can also adjust rear wheel travel now between 230-270mm like I can do with the forks). You can for example do some proper jumps if needed and offcourse it is a bit different animal in every other way too. Also two up offroading is now possible because of compression adjustments & longer travel (We do some two up trail riding with my gf).

And it cost arm, leg, head and many other body parts...
Yea, I was talking about someone else that said "No suck thing as a WP for an F800GS" quite a while ago. I was pointing out (again) that yes there is such a thing. You can also get WP progressive springs too. Thanks for letting us know about your WP for the F800GS.

At least the WP is fully adjustable though, right? That's a good thing.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the WP and of the forks installed if you can.

Thanks!

The Griz screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 02:25 PM
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #100
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Yea, I was talking about someone else that said "No suck thing as a WP for an F800GS" quite a while ago. I was pointing out (again) that yes there is such a thing. You can also get WP progressive springs too. Thanks for letting us know about your WP for the F800GS.

At least the WP is fully adjustable though, right? That's a good thing.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of the WP and of the forks installed if you can.

Thanks!

Forks look just like tge stock forks. They use the stock BMW marzocchi fork tubes with different inner parts.

Gangplank screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 10:45 AM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #101
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Forks look just like tge stock forks. They use tge stock BMW marzocchi fork tubes with different inner parts.
Oh yeah, that's right. Duh.

How bout a pic of the WP though?
Old 05-31-2011, 02:23 AM   #102
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:

So the WP is awesome?

so griz how come you don't have 1 if they are so easy to get? also remember that at the time you talked about 1 it was over a year ago! Boy your a dumb ass! He's also talking about having someone custom make his shock it was not a production item
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #103
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry View Post
so griz how come you don't have 1 if they are so easy to get? also remember that at the time you talked about 1 it was over a year ago! Boy your a dumb ass! He's also talking about having someone custom make his shock it was not a production item
See he still doesn't believe they exist!

I don't have a WP only because I prefer and have an Ohlins! Ohlins USA custom setup a shock for me in a week. I simply didn't want to wait for how long it would take for WP to set one up, send it to Hornig, and for Hornig to ship it from Germany to MN USA. Yikes. We're talking months.

But does that mean they don't exist and are unobtainium? NO.

Look long and hard this time, huck:

Realize and fully absorb the fact that they exist:

And if you REALLY want one, email or make an international call to Hornig, they'll put an order to WP in and ship it to you when it's done. That's why on their site it always says "on short call".

http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.co...sion-rear.html
Old 05-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #104
Gangplank OP
Advenchaintourer

How about you two take your argument someplace else. This thread is informative for folks. Doesn't need the added BS.

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #105
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
forks

Gangplank,

I just received this email from the suspension guy helping me:

"Hi Paul,

These forks will go, I spent some time yesterday doing a lot more layout & measuring before proceeding to cut metal, it will take a little different approach is all.

I am stunned the stock fork has no bottoming circuit, just the tube crashing into the cap. Pretty bad practice to say the least on both BMW's and Marzocchi's behalf. I recommend re-locating the bottoming piston to match up to the bottoming of the stroke."

Would you explain this in language I understand?

Thanks!
;-)

(Griz...*please* don't!) I'm not looking to start another argument about who's right.