Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #91
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
I want all the colors. How on earth to decide? I'm going to wind up looking like Rainbow Brite fell into a blender.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #92
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
Looks like a very nice suit, I'll be showing this to my wife.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #93
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,701
Product descriptions & sizing info are now up on the site. The weather has been quite unsuitable (and unpredictable) for outdoor shots which is why better pictures are still missing. They will be taken & uploaded very soon.

The prototype does not show the SuperFabric ballistics. They will on the elbows, shoulders and knees.

A lot of people have posted/emailed/commented about bathroom usage so here is what the product page says:

The bathroom issue:

We have received several emails from women concerned with bathroom visits while wearing the suit. Well ladies, the whole point of the suit is that it is incredibly easy to put on and take off. Whenever you need to take a break, just zip off the suit. You dont even have to take off you boots for this. Why would you want to drag your lovely suit inside a bathroom anyway. The great thing about the a one piece suit is that you can wear whatever you want inside. So when you take off the suit, a comfortable pair of street clothes will be revealed, allowing you to enjoy your break in the most comfortable possible way.
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #94
redbaroness
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by teizms View Post
The bathroom issue:

We have received several emails from women concerned with bathroom visits while wearing the suit. Well ladies, the whole point of the suit is that it is incredibly easy to put on and take off. Whenever you need to take a break, just zip off the suit. You dont even have to take off you boots for this. Why would you want to drag your lovely suit inside a bathroom anyway. The great thing about the a one piece suit is that you can wear whatever you want inside. So when you take off the suit, a comfortable pair of street clothes will be revealed, allowing you to enjoy your break in the most comfortable possible way.
This doesn't make sense. What if I am on the road all day and I stop for a bathroom break once every hour (a not atypical scenario)? I do not necessarily want to take my suit off once every hour in a filthy gas station restroom. :|

Another question - do you have data on crash tests for these suits? How do they compare to say the kevlar Motoport suits or the Aerostitch?
Old 05-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #95
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaroness View Post
Another question - do you have data on crash tests for these suits? How do they compare to say the kevlar Motoport suits or the Aerostitch?
I was surprised to see they're using Superfabric for the abrasion areas. I've been using gloves (hexarmor 9003's) with Superfabric, and they're great. You can pick up cactus w/o problems and they lasted thru a year of regular dirtscaping/trailwork. It's basically little hexagonal hard plastic "sliders" all hinged together for flexibility.

http://www.superfabric.com/

I will be looking for this on my next suit of armor.

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #96
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaroness View Post
This doesn't make sense. What if I am on the road all day and I stop for a bathroom break once every hour (a not atypical scenario)? I do not necessarily want to take my suit off once every hour in a filthy gas station restroom. :|

Well, first of all, as you have said yourself, thats not a realistic scenario. In any case, the whole point of it is to avoid taking your suit into the filthy gas station restroom. You would leave it outside with your bike.

I am guessing that women are more worried about hygiene than me.. and i would never drag a suit into the public restroom. minimal contact with that environment. Motorcycle gear itself is a handful and handling it in a bathroom (be it even just a jacket) is quite a chore.

I understand that some women may be skeptical about this concept, but i really do think that you will learn to love the convenience. When i take a break for gas (lets say every 200 miles), i want to take off my suit and take a break in my jeans.. Not walk around & eat my lunch with hefty riding gear (be it a suit, or jacket and riding over-pants).

We don't have formal crash test data. Everything is based off feedback that you might see on our main thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433219

Considering that we are adding SuperFabric & other improvements, it only gets better. We provide an entire set of Sas-Tec armor in the price of the suit. This includes a Sas-Tec CE Level 2 back protector. You can look up feedback on the SAS-TEC stuff. It is... to put it simply... reallllllly nice... We use the women specific armor from Sas-Tec.

Aerostich charges extra for their back protectors. Motoport also makes a good product but it (apparently) fits like this.. not quite what we are going for..

i think thats the extent of my comments about other brands ;) In summary:
  • We are using proven materials as seen in feedback from our customers
  • We are improving on it, rather going multiple steps ahead, by using materials like SuperFabric
  • We are using some of the best armor available in the industry at the moment
Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #97
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

More pictures.. complete flickr gallery can be seen via this link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/teiz/se...7626673466959/

see latest gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/teizms/...7627329131705/

teizms screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 02:55 AM
Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #98
DantesDame
Ridin' Fool

Oddometer: 1,731
I'm going to be the devil's advocate, although I feel that I'm probably in the minority. But then again, this is ADV; who knows?

I have two different types of riding scenarios:
1) commute to work. Wear my work clothes under my gear, take off gear when I get to work, etc
2) day/long rides: wear spandex-type leggings and appropriate top, put gear on over it

In scenario #1, your suit would be fine. However, for #2, it would not be practical for me to take off the gear when taking a break. I don't like to parade around a gas station/restaurant/rest area with my spandex-wrapped butt hanging out. I very much like my 2-piece 'stitch when taking a bathroom break. I get off the bike, walk into the ladies room, unzip the pants from the jacket, lower the pants (just like jean! Nothing's being dragged all over the floor) and do what I gotta do. If I'm stopping for lunch, I zip off the jacket and can sit comfortably at the table with the pants still on.

Like I said, I'm playing Devil's advocate. I know that you did a lot of research to make your suit the way you did, and many women will thank you for i. I'm just trying to show you the other side of the coin and why something may not work for other people.

And as you can see, not all "other manufacturers" suits fit as poorly as your example (I'm second to the left)

http://www.dantesdame.com/ <--- Rides! Rides! Rides!!
DantesDame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 PM   #99
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,224
I too, wear compression gear under my gear and don't share it with the general public (as a public service).

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #100
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame View Post
I'm going to be the devil's advocate....
I see where you are coming from but....

The comparison is not fair. You are comparing a 2 piece arrangement (not usually meant to be worn over jeans) to a 1 piece suit (designed to be an oversuit). I don't think we want to debate which style is better on this particular thread.

It is also a matter of preference. Due to the nature of my business, i am continuously trying out gear from every brand. On even a mildly hot day, i want to rip off all the gear when i take a break - regardless of brand, materials, etc... When you are not moving, any sort of motorcycle gear will get hot (at least for me). Thats why i prefer to have a presentable layer underneath so i can sit and eat in comfort.... A one piece gives me that flexibility... When riding in a two piece suit, "I" always miss the ability to shed the top most layer.. Personal preference.

I am not quite sure how can sitting in (relatively) heavy and hot riding pants be more comfortable than sitting in shorts or comfy jeans. What if you are somewhere in the rural parts of Mexico and eating from a street vendor.. sitting on he sidewalk. 100+ degrees of blazing sun.. how can you not want to rip off those riding pants... My wife & I have been through similar situations elsewhere and she was quite envious of my ability to emerge in shorts every time we took a break.. She got back home and started designing the Revolution suit...

Update: on another forum, a rider expressed concern over how it would be inconvenient to take off the boots, in order to take off the suit. We agree. thats why the suit is designed to be put on and taken off with the boots on.

teizms screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 09:23 PM Reason: updated for additional comment about boots
Old 05-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #101
Gizmo
Hermes

Interesting discussion I have been following it with and for my wife. It would seem it comes down to personal choice and habits. My wife currently has the BMW Comfort Shell jacket & pants which she mostly likes. I have a one piece mesh suit I wear for commuting, running errands and very short rides and a two piece I wear for travel and long day rides. On the bathroom stops, my wife made the comment she sometimes struggles with lowering her riding pants, sufficiently to do her business, so another potential issue to consider. Recently on a short lunch ride, I wore my one piece mesh and my wife commented on how nice it would be to jump out of the suit and leave it at the bike while having lunch, walking around etc.

Bruce
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #102
bluepoof
insert pithy saying here

Oddometer: 437
I just thought of something while replying to the similar thread on Sport-Touring.net.

In the winter, I wear a Gerbing heated jacket liner, whose cord comes down from the waist of the liner. Would there be any way to wear the Gerbing under the one-piece suit? I don't know if there would be any opening on the suit that I could poke the Gerbing cord out of to plug into the controller on the bike.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #103
Gizmo
Hermes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I just thought of something while replying to the similar thread on Sport-Touring.net.

In the winter, I wear a Gerbing heated jacket liner, whose cord comes down from the waist of the liner. Would there be any way to wear the Gerbing under the one-piece suit? I don't know if there would be any opening on the suit that I could poke the Gerbing cord out of to plug into the controller on the bike.
It would be nice if manufacturers of one piece suits considered this. What I have done is cut a small hole in the left pocket and sewen the edgeds to keep from fraying. I can then route the wire out through the pocket.

Bruce
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Old 05-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #104
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,743
If the women's suit is like the mens then it will have a pass through so you can get to the pants you are wearing under the suit. I use this to route the cord for my heated gear, works great.
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:52 AM   #105
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post

Most definitely... as pjm204 has mentioned, there are access pockets on each side. The allow you to access the inner pants , so if you forget yours keys in your jeans you dont have to unzip the suit. It also works great as a pass-through for heated gear cords.