Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #31
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Nice report and pics.

You would think REI would make more abrasion resistant tents.
they take returns, no questions asked... just don't do it too often or you get "the letter" from them, revoking return privliges.

Aren't tents meant to withstand the abuse of a bike chain? I bet that's not excluded in the fine print.
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #32
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHighway View Post
I wanna hear more about that girl on the 250!
Not much to tell other than I talked with her a little it about her trip. Cute little thing who like I said had that 250 loaded....and I mean loaded. She said it was leaking oil pretty bad but running well. She was a little shy and stated she had been a little worried about camping some nights. I gave her a lot of credit for doing what she was out there doing solo. If I recall I think she was out of the Seattle area.

hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #33
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburke View Post
they take returns, no questions asked... just don't do it too often or you get "the letter" from them, revoking return privliges.

Aren't tents meant to withstand the abuse of a bike chain? I bet that's not excluded in the fine print.
I wouldn't of had the balls to take that tent back to REI. If was friggin shredded. Looked like it had been thru a meat grinder when I took it out of the bag. I think they would have laughed at me had I tried to return it.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #34
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After spending the night in Beatty and drinking more beer loaded up the next morning headed to Rhyolite ghost town, Titus Canyon, Ubehebe Crater, Racetrack and Lippencott Road to eventually end up back in Saline Valley. Left Beatty pretty early and spent about an hour poking around in the old ghost town.

Left Rhyolite and headed into Titus Canyon. Great ride, perfect weather and only saw one jeep the whole route throught the canyon. A must road to ride if you're in the area.

Popped out of Titus Canyon and slabbed to Scotty's Castle. Had planned on taking one of the tours but had to wait over two hours for the next tour so opted out. Had been on a tour of the castle last year but wanted to do the underground tour this time. Loaded up on some water and headed to Ubehebe Crater for a quick stop and then on to the Racetrack.

Quick stop at the crater and then about 20 miles to TeaKettle Junction over some serious washboard roads. Hauled ass to stay on top and stopped at the Junction to give my ass a rest.

Some pics from the Racetrack. Was getting hot but walked out to an area call the grandstand. Friggin hot as hell out here today. Took some pics and got back to the bike to look for some shade and a break for lunch prior to headed down Lippencott Road.

More to come........................
Old 05-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #35
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Cot is a sweet set up. Kind of spendy but it sleeps like a dream regardless of the ground condition. I don't like to set up a tent unless I have to. Set this thing up and you're golden. Packs down to practically nothing. If I do set up the tent i just put it directly on the ground underneath the tent flooring. If it pours rain you don't really need a ground cover under the tent. Like I stated it's not cheap but if used enough well worth the price. Here's the link http://www.luxurylite.com/

Beautiful pix! I was there in March. I had a real good time.

thanks for the link too. What chair is that by the way??
Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #36
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Beautiful pix! I was there in March. I had a real good time.

thanks for the link too. What chair is that by the way??
Link to chair

http://www.gofastandlight.com/Ultral...nfo/TO-ALITEC/
Old 05-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #37
PersonaNonGrata
Needless Dickerer

Oddometer: 480
Is that rock up there giving the advrider salute?

PersonaNonGrata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #38
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Looks like you had a nose pickin, ass scratchin good time.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #39
Joe Siphek
FYYFF

Oddometer: 13
Great Read

Love this thread...easy to read, lots of great pictures. definately in to the end.
~Travis
Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #40
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Headed down Lippencott road towards Saline Valley. I would end up on a road I was on three days ago which would take me either back over South Pass or north to the hot springs. Ride down Lippencott is mucho fun. I stopped and screwed around quite a bit at some old mining areas. Not sure which route I was going to take once I got back down into Saline Valley. The hotsprings were tempting but the weather was moving in from the west and I had no tent. It looked like it could get nasty tonite and the weather report I got the night before while in Beatty was calling for rain and cold temps at elevation. Hell with it, I'll enjoy the riding and make a decision later.

In the distance you can see Saline Valley with the road headed down.

Dropped down into the valley.

Arrived at the decision point. Left - back over South Pass or Right - hot springs with naked hippie chicks. I had seen on the map where there was an old hunter cabin up near South Pass. It would be cold but at least I'd have some shelter in the event of rain. I also might go to the hot springs and find some naked hippie chick that would take me in.... decisions, decisions. I turned left and headed for the pass in hopes that I would find the cabin empty. Back over the pass the weather was holding up and the riding good. Once I got back to the pass I turned left and according to the map had about 5 miles before a turn off to start looking for the cabin.

Heading up towards south pass

Looking west towards the cut off at South Pass. Took this headed back to the east in search of the cabin. Temps were dropping as the storm front was moving in and was running into some mud on this road from heavy rains the week prior.

Found it......sweet, won't be wet tonite!

Settled in for the night......

hanksmybuddy screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 07:36 PM
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #41
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaNonGrata View Post
Is that rock up there giving the advrider salute?

I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it. Could easily be a salute!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #42
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,951
Love DV

Excellent RR and great photos! Looks like a great trip. Too bad about the tent though.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #43
hanksmybuddy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Excellent RR and great photos! Looks like a great trip. Too bad about the tent though.
Thanks. Loss of tent never came into play since I didn't get rained on.

Early next morning I ran into a ranger who told me that some colder and bad weather was headed our way. I had planned to stay out one more night before heading back into Bishop to load up and drive back to Bend. Decided to cut the trip a little short and headed back towards South Pass and Panamint to slab back into Bishop. Temps were cold up top but no rain. Stopped and took a few pics on the way back but nothing much else to report. Great trip and I'll definitely be back.

No flats...no breakdowns.....one trashed tent.....some hairy naked hippies....great riding.......scenery galore......great characters......cold beer........GREAT TRIP!

One last photo taken on the drive home! Had posted this video earlier but here it is again. Kind of a recap of the report with some tunes to boot.

hanksmybuddy screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 07:12 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #44
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Excellent tale, enjoyed the photography and the finale video was great!!

Old 05-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #45
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,019
Awesome!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2004 KTM 250 EXC 2T plated Little Miss Britches - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 Legally Black
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote