User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #31
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,958
The airbox side OD is bigger, so an XR400 boot is needed:

One thing that is different, and still unresolved, is the crankcase venting. My bike is a California model, and had a more extensive crankcase recirc system. The 250 boot has a boss to attach the hoses to, that the 400 boot does not have.

Also, I noticed that the stock intake manifold had hardened considerably, so I took no chances and replaced it.

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 05:50 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM   #32
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

AP Timing

The biggest hassle of the carb install was figuring out how to time the accelerator pump. You have to time the squirt to start a little late, and 2. limit the duration of he squirt to 1.5 secs, to not bog the motor.

The newer FCR-MX pumpers have a leak jet, which can be changed out to control the squirt. A larger jet bleeds fuel out of the circuit instead of pumping it into the motor. It is quantitative and works well. But, the older FCR slant body carbs like the 35 do not have leak jets. There is an accessory from Boyesen that duplicates the bleed-off, so I got one to try:

and mounted it up:

I started testing the squirt off the bike, with odd results. The pump would hesitate, then squirt for what seemed like forever, definitely not 1.5 seconds. No amount of adjusting was helping, and I was getting confused.

By now I had burned a load of time and money ordering various diaphragms and add ons, and was getting kinda frustrated. I finally decided to just send the carb to Eddie Sisneros ("Burned" on Thumpertalk) and have him set it up. After a few days , Eddie discovered that the squirt passageway WAS NOT FULLY OR PROPERLY DRILLED FROM KEIHIN. "Yeah, the thing would hesitate and spit, and then squirt forever. I drilled the hole, wired the AC pump linkage, and now it is fine." Good news, I would have never spotted this, and would have chased the squirt timing forever.

More....

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 05:50 AM
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #33
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Verbage, more verbage, some more friggin verbage, pics, more pics, blah blah blah. When in the hell do I get to flog the shit out of that thing, break something, so you can work on it some more.
hanksmybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #34
shoein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Any updates. I am in a similiar position myself. I have a dr650 that I modded with rmz forks, cogent shock, fcr carb, gsxr exhaust and a long list of farkles. It does great for dual sport rides where we may cover half the state in one day on dirt roads, railroad beds and trails. The tougher atv trails in this area tend to be mud, rocks and roots, not as much fun on a big bike. I keep thinking about adding a smaller bike for the tight stuff.
shoein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #35
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Yes, some updates. Did two rides. Power was very good, some jetting circuits are way off. I started with the following jetting specs:

Slow air screw 1.25 turns
Pilot 42
Fuel Screw 2.5
Needle CEMT #2 position from top
Main 140
Boyesen 1.5 turns out

I did some short runs around the neighborhood, and these settings were close. So, I went for a shakedown ride First, the bike was really hard to start. Once it got warm, it would run well when it got up onto the main jet. But the pilot circuit, needle, AP pump, are all still off a bit.

Power was better than I thought. It is not fast, but it makes consistent, steady power. It is a little sloppy - I had to slip the clutch out of turns to get past a flat spot. Once I get it dialed it will be better.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-03-2014 at 10:25 PM
Old 05-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #36
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 AM   #37
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Way too much technical jargon bullshit here. Just ride it somewhere cool and give us friggin pictures. We don't need all the other bullshit!

Call me when you want me to school that thing with the KDX!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #38
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post
Way too much technical jargon bullshit here. Just ride it somewhere cool and give us friggin pictures. We don't need all the other bullshit!

Did you know they make a CRF 250X? You could probably pick one up for about the same price as half your mods JK I spent way too much on my 125 so I know what it's like
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #39
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Fair enough...
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #40
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanksmybuddy View Post

I'll dissent. Vey useful information here as far as XR setup is concerned. Keep up the good work! I've got an older XR250L that I just unexpectedly picked up due to a very low price, and this thread, while not directly relevant due to generational differences between our XRs, has been a great source of information. Thanks again - looking forward to reading more about this bike in the future.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:44 AM   #41
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Don't worry about Hanksmybuddy....he's a riding buddy. All good.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 07-27-2014 at 06:19 PM
Old 05-28-2011, 06:02 PM   #42
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Don't worry about Hanksmybuddy....he's a riding buddy. Always yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN" and then "HEY....I'M A PLAYA!!!" at people. Even does it in restaurants, to old ladies, etc. Just yells it out, like some sort of tourette's. Bunch of us around here sorta look out for him.

BP
Beotch.......I've got something you can look at! Is that damn Honda ready to roll yet. Taking the KDX out Monday late.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #43
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
If the modded 2004 CRF250R I had was any indication, I would not like it.

BP
Can't get this out of my head, what is it that you prefer about the XR as opposed to the CRF? My brother has the 250x, I thought it was pretty good for a for stroke trail bike. Rode it back to back against my 125, and I love 2 smokers...
Old 06-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #44
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Second ride.

Quick update.

I installed the 280 kit in it, along with some porting and another minor jetting change. Starts much better, 4-5 kicks when cold, 1-3 when warm. There is still a small bog when transitioning from the idle circuit up onto the main. I need to dial this out with the AP bleed.

New top end is broken in. The bike now has a smooth, steady power. It is like a small electric motor.

The bike is quite competent on tight singletrack, especially direction changes. The suspension still leaves some to be desired, but I have a CRF fork swap in the works. At that point I will hopefully be where I want.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-03-2014 at 10:26 PM
Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #45
hanksmybuddy
Gnarly Adventurer

The question is......can it run with the KDX200? I think not my friend!