Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #16
ww73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
If ur app works then would there be any point in getting a Garmin Montana?
ww73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww73 View Post
Let me just say that my whole reason for going through this process is that Garmin wasn't making a unit like the Montana and while I figured out how to make track like things work on my Zumo I knew that most people would never go through the trouble and expense of doing it. I've really enjoyed my Zumo+ (+ because I made it better than your average Zumo) but I am beating it up and eventually it will die and spending another $500 bucks seemed like a shabby idea when I could make something that is just about perfect for my needs (and by extension many of your needs as well) with something I was carrying anyway.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #18
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
JustAdam
Bloody No's

Oddometer: 478
WANT - subscribed for sure!
My DRZ400E pics
Sold the KLR and now I roll on a DRZ400E, thats right, its an E!
JustAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
dacrazyrn
ED RN Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Is your phone WATERPROOF?
I just can't get myself to rely on a phone for something as important as navigation, etc is for me. Seems to me like using a map on the back of a Denny's placemat vs 1:2400 Topo map. Get out your crayons!

But having more resources in case one fails...never a problem.
'09 BMW F800GS-Fate Honeyed GSabelle
dacrazyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazyrn View Post
Is your phone WATERPROOF?
I just can't get myself to rely on a phone for something as important as navigation, etc is for me. Seems to me like using a map on the back of a Denny's placemat vs 1:2400 Topo map. Get out your crayons!

But having more resources in case one fails...never a problem.
You are not going to convince me that your GPS has better looking maps. I can display anything you can display. Your display MAY be bigger, but if you want to mount an Android tablet on your bars this software will run on it.

Your point about water is well taken. That is why I am thinking about a remote control which I discussed above. With that you can completely waterproof your phone.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #22
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 806
I'm in, sounds like what I've been looking for...
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #23
tiptoe650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Neat App Potential

I'm a suspenders and a belt kind of person. Subscribed.
tiptoe650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #24
Wind-venture
Banned

Oddometer: 4,902
Cool project... I'm in

One thing I've found with the battery life relating to GPS is that the GPS feature activated means the phone is sending and receiving signals. That could mean to the cell site as well as the GPS satellites.

If I want to limit battery drain I turn off the GPS feature. Using my phone I access that by going to settings - location. Then select or deselect wireless networks and/or GPS satellites.

You should also be able to revisit the map you downloaded in all the detail you had viewed previously. what you won't get is turn by turn updates unless you have the GPS and/or networks location features activated
Wind-venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #25
ww73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I think the big battery drain is actually the screen, more than the GPS (when in active mapping mode). Same thing happens when my kids play Angry Birds. In 2 hours my phone could be down to 20% battery.

However, turning off GPS by default can extend the battery life on a daily basis.

In terms of waterproofness, maybe that's another product idea. Some sort of integrated waterproof housing with a 3200mah battery + gps module + power cable. At the right price I'd buy one.

http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...-aqua-box.html

hey craftycoder, how hard is it to tap into the voice capabilities? It'd be great if you app could support simple voice commands via blutooth.
ww73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture View Post
One thing I've found with the battery life relating to GPS is that the GPS feature activated means the phone is sending and receiving signals. That could mean to the cell site as well as the GPS satellites.
The GPS feature does not transmit. It only listens and amplifies. The phone radio does not need to have anything to do with the GPS. Some software that you have used may use both, but it is not a requirement. In this application it would make no sense because this app is really for use when you are in the wild. If you are on a freeway, where the radio would help, I suggest you use Google Navigation as I assume their billions of dollars can do better than I can offer in my spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind-venture View Post
You should also be able to revisit the map you downloaded in all the detail you had viewed previously. what you won't get is turn by turn updates unless you have the GPS and/or networks location features activated
If the phone has location information the software can do what it does. If it does not then this project is of little value. If I can't make this work with real time GPS data lets assume that the project dies before anyone but myself sees it in action.

So far, real time GPS info has not been a problem for me and I can keep the screen and GPS all running indefinitely on .5 amps.

I'm thinking that the people who can't keep their phones charged are having two issues.

1. Their phone is squawking for a cell tower at maximum power but they are out of range. Solution: Put phone in airplane mode.

2. They don't have a OLED display which is much more efficient than older displays and consume much less power. Solution: Get a new device.

As is the plight of us Android people, everyone's hardware is different (unlike iPhones). Users experiences will vary widely based on the quality of their equipment and the timeliness of their carriers OS updates. I use a Nexus S and get all my updates directly from Google as soon as they are available. For me, these won't be an issue. I believe all the currently made Android phones that you see advertised (the fancier ones on market) will be as capable as my phone which thus far shows excellent performance and longevity.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #27
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
hey craftycoder, how hard is it to tap into the voice capabilities? It'd be great if you app could support simple voice commands via blutooth.
I don't think I want to be in the business of waterproofing people's phones. I can only imagine the bitching if the thing gets wet. If I create a charger, GPS, and remote unit you will still need to figure out your own phone protection.

The idea of remote voice commands is interesting. I don't think it would be a problem to listen to what you have to say. I think the problem would be understanding what you want. I could set it up to require you to program all your own commands (pre-record what you want to say to zoom or scan). I worry that the noise associated with high speeds and motorcycles makes this a tough thing to actually implements successfully. I ride with a motocross helmet. It's loud in there!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
I think the big battery drain is actually the screen, more than the GPS (when in active mapping mode). Same thing happens when my kids play Angry Birds. In 2 hours my phone could be down to 20% battery.
Again, this is in my own experience, but I can have my phone in my dash cradle, plugged in and charging, playing MP3s through my car stereos aux input (not usb) and leave the screen on for 8+ hours and when I disconnect the phone, the battery is fully charged. If I do the exact same thing, but have google maps onscreen as well, the phone will die after a few hours and I have to let it charge back up for a bit before turning it back on. I'm sure it's not all just the GPS that's doing it, but having the screen and backlight on with the charger plugged in leaves the battery topped up, as soon as google maps (I'm hesitant to say "gps" only) is running, my phone starts draining faster than it can charge, assuming that it does continue to charge after starting google maps.

This is all just based on my own non-scientific observations. You statement of the phone draining quickly when the screen is on full time is absolutely true, but not my experience when it's plugged in and charging.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #29
craftycoder OP
Motobrain PDU

Google maps uses the cell radio to do triangulation because that is very accurate in an urban setting.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #30
Señor Squirrel
AKA TTDave

Oddometer: 221
I'm subscribed!! I have a HTC EVO and it will charge using the GPS continuously and plugged into a power source. Was just on a trip in Texas and used it for hours at a time and my phone never died and was always fully charged after using the GPS. When I started using the GPS on the phone most time it only had 50% to 70% battery life remaining.

Thanks for working on an app like this for the Android phones!

Señor Squirrel screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 11:36 AM
Señor Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote