Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
wvrocks OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 584
1978 BMW R100/7 Advice

I just came across a '78 R100/7 and I'm considering buying it. Its got 56k miles, paint is Burnt Orange Metallic and is probaby a 8 of 10. Some of the tank pinstriping is worn and there are a few small dings in the tank. Tank looks ok inside. The seat has one small tear that was covered with tape near the latch. Comes with Krauser hard cases that are in good condition with extra keys and an expandable leather BMW tankbag and an aftermarket handlebar mounted clear windscreen. Also includes extra rear brake shoes, one mirror, a full set of extra cables, extra plug wires, 10 oil filters and 3 air filters, a big stack of head gaskets, extra windscreen, some hippohands and some exhaust shields. New brakes pads on the front and decent looking tires. The fork boots and shaft drive boot are pliable with no cracks. Its last long trip was DC to British Columbia with no issues.

So thats the good stuff...

Now the not so good. The bike hasn't been ridden in 2 years due to the owner breaking a leg on a fall at home. Its been started every month or so over that 2 years. He went on a trip for 2 months, came back and it wouldn't start. It cranks but doesn't fire.

There is a small oil leak that appears to be coming from around the oil pan gasket, mostly around near the back of the engine. It sounds like its been doing that for a while.

The left carb overflows when you turn the petcock on. Takes about 10 seconds to start overflowing. I have no idea how long the gas has been in the tank.

He's asking $2000 and seems confident he could get more if it was running.

This would be my first airhead, having owned an SV650 and a KLR previously. I'm not afraid of working on the bike myself but I curious if this sounds like a good deal or not. Does the non start condition seem like something that should be reasonably simple to fix? Carb and oil leak?

Thanks much!