|05-27-2011, 10:16 PM||#1|
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Mentally? Out west...
"Ramble out yonder and explore the forest, climb the mountains, bag of the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that sweet yet lucid air" Edward Abbey, from my daughter's JI birthday card to this writer dated May 5, 2013.
Transplanted Florida Crackers and Louisiana Cajuns make their way to Alaska over a couple of three, four, five or more years exploring as much single track, ATV and jeep roads as possible. So much to ride…so little time…
Plan for ejtv and tbang is to ride from Baton Rouge to Denver via Louisiana and Mississippi dirt roads to the TAT. Bikes would be stored in Denver over the winter. jakbrand, dwip and A-rider aka jb would trailer their bikes from Florida and would store their bikes in Denver too. Both groups had independent plans to play in Colorado for a while, but over the course of a year exchanging reports, pictures and emails, the plans began to merge into one: starting now as one group from Moab, to explore in more detail areas we find interesting as we ride further and further west and north, minimizing pavement and gravel roads to the essential connectors only, using instead challenging jeep, ATV trails and as much single-track as possible, camping along the way.
Inspired by the "Mobius Trip" we also decided to store the bikes in mini-storage depots near major airports and fly back to our respective homes to continue our adult lives (after all, we do have wives, jobs, college, families, etc.,). Keeping the bikes in each of these hubs would allow us to have a mobile center of operations for as long as we feel it is worth our while. Once we feel the urge to move on, we will ride to the next hub via challenging and interesting terrain and repeat the cycle all over again…until we make it to Alaska, perhaps...
The completed legs and future planned legs are as follows (click hyperlink for RR, pics, etc.) along with those who came along:
1) Baton Rouge to Denver, May 2011 (scroll to third post below in this page for RR) tbang & ejtv
2) Colorado Spur South, Jul 2011 (down to Rainbow Trail and Great Sand Dunes NP) tbang & ejtv
3) Colorado Spur North, Sep 2011 (up to Red Feathers) jakbrand & ejtv
4) Denver to Moab, Jun 2012 tbang & ejtv
5) Grand Utah Roulette, Jun 2012 (tour of Southern Utah) jakbrand, dwip, tbang, ejtv & guests
6) MoToSalt 2012, Aug 2012 (Moab to Salt Lake City) jakbrand, dwip, tbang, jb, ejtv
7) Salt Lake City Spur East--Bike & Hike Sep 2012 (High Uintas/American Fork/Bountiful & Francis Peak) jakbrand & ejtv
8) SLC Spur West/South, May 2013 (The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake, inc. Nevada + Stansbury Mnts-Little Sahara) ejtv, jakbrand, A-rider
9) Salt Lake City Spur North, July 2013 (SLC-Logan-Soda Springs-Tetons-SLC) jakbrand, ejtv, dwip and guest eh
10) SaltWash 2013, August 2013 (Salt Lake City-Spokane) jakbrand, A-rider, ejtv
11) Spokane to somewhere on the west coast, Seattle, Portland? Then back to SLC? Who knows? Summer 2014
Bottom line, we want to create our own personal rougher, muddier, sandier, rockier and steeper "TAT."
How much rougher?
How much muddier?
(All right, you can't beat TAT's northern Oklahoma mud!)
How much rockier?
How much sandier?
how much steeper?
And how good will the singletrack be?
tbang on WR 250R:
jakbrand on KTM 530EXC:
dwip on KTM 450 EXC:
A-rider on Husaberg:
ejtv on WR 250R and KTM 500 EXC:
(photos by ejtv and jakbrand)
The dirt we have ridden so far…more less, since leaving Louisiana in 2011:
(few gaps here and there...GPS not functioning for that leg)
Government is the negation of liberty--Ludwig von Mises
Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:53 PM
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|