Outstanding. Well done gentlemen.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #302
philratton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieKILLER View Post
WW Ronin, thanks for your insight. The BMW really is a more practical bike then the monster since it can go to other places where there are no asphalt roads & still be comfortable to ride. Are there low seats available? im only 5 7 & I think I will have a hard time on stops.
I'm 5'7 too and no problems at all with the tall seat.
I can almost plant my two feet.
More than enough !
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #303
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by philratton View Post
I'm 5'7 too and no problems at all with the tall seat.
I can almost plant my two feet.
More than enough !
Inseam?
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #304
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,577
Okay; bike won't start!

Fired it up and let it run several times through the winter. Rode it a couple of miles a few weeks ago. Went to ride today and she wouldn't start.

Dials are twitching, lights are on and it's ticking but not firing up.

Thoughts?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #305
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Okay; bike won't start!

Fired it up and let it run several times through the winter. Rode it a couple of miles a few weeks ago. Went to ride today and she wouldn't start.

Dials are twitching, lights are on and it's ticking but not firing up.

Thoughts?
. Ticking? As in not nomad wee wee wee wee wee starter motor sounds, but rather a combination of click and a clunk?

If so, your battery is toast, your battery is discharged, your battery terminals are loose, or the big brown ground wire near the oil filter is loose.

Could be a number of things, but the above are the usual ones, especially the battery being toast if the battery is black on the sides and branded "Exide"

Good luck.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #306
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
. Ticking? As in not nomad wee wee wee wee wee starter motor sounds, but rather a combination of click and a clunk?

If so, your battery is toast, your battery is discharged, your battery terminals are loose, or the big brown ground wire near the oil filter is loose.

Could be a number of things, but the above are the usual ones, especially the battery being toast if the battery is black on the sides and branded "Exide"

Good luck.
Battery was my first thought too but the headlamp works. The needles on the tachometer and odometer flicker and flutter, there's lots of ticking from the instrument panel and there's something going on in the engine but no attempt to start.

Spark plugs maybe?
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #307
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Battery was my first thought too but the headlamp works. The needles on the tachometer and odometer flicker and flutter, there's lots of ticking from the instrument panel and there's something going on in the engine but no attempt to start.

Spark plugs maybe?
I'm sticking with battery, unless I hear that your engine is turning over normally and still not firing.

The starter motor takes an order of magnitude greater work from the battery then just running the headlights and instruments.

If the battery isn't up to it, or connections are loose, the lights will light as usual.

When u hit the start button the solenoid and starter will engage but just for a fraction of a second. The ZFE will detect voltage getting low, and canceling starting, the voltage will recover, and the cycle will repeat over and over.

It sounds like "clack (pause for half a second) clack (pause) clack....)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #308
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Ooo, instrument needles fluttering. I'll bet u a buck off an oil filter it's the battery or connections. That's exactly what happens when system voltage is too low.

I'll bet u a crush washer your battery has smooth sides and is branded exide. Those batteries had a high failure rate.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM   #309
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Front tyre choice for trails

Ok, a controversial choice of topic.

What front tyres are people using for mainly off road work?

What tyres are being used for the road/trail 50/50 mix?

I'm thinking the Mitas E07 for mainly off road (but still highway capable) and the more aggressive Pirelli for 50/50. Good reviews?

Any opinions appreciated.

I've tried most of the "dirt" tyres in 21 & 17 inch on my DR650, I'm just wondering how they faired on the F8 in the general experience of members.

The F800 doesn't seem to be as harsh on tyres....well...in my limited 5000 odd kms of experience with it anyway.

Maybe it's the way I rode the DR? Maybe it's having the wife on the back of the F8? Maybe it's the fact the F8 cost 3 times what the DR did?

Maybe it's because I haven't put dirt tyres on it and gone and played in the dirt yet?

Yeah, it's probably the last one.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #310
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
After getting 10 different answers you will back to square one. I like the TKC. There are better tires on each side of the sprectrum, but this choice seems to be "just right"

I have a Michelin T63 on mine now and OK but not so good in the loose stuff.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #311
philratton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutherngintelmen View Post
inseam?

philratton screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 08:33 PM
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #312
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
I am very happy with my Michelin Anakee II tires. They are a dual sport tire; meaning acceptable off pavement and very good on pavement. I am taking them and the 800 to Argentina next fall. I agree that the TKC's are much better off road, and completely acceptable on pavement as well, but they wear out rapidly. Like 3000 miles on the rear. The front has to be replaced at about 5000 miles due to cupping on my 1200 with linked brakes. I gave up on them on my 1200 because I was having to plan my trips around replacing tires. I have 10k on the front Anakee II with about 1k to go. The rear needed replacing at 8000k again these were on the 800. Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #313
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
DVD manual - remove rear shock

I was looking through the manual yesterday for the step by step instructions to remove (and then install) the rear shock and couldn't find it.

Can someone point me in the right directions?
Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #314
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
I was looking through the manual yesterday for the step by step instructions to remove (and then install) the rear shock and couldn't find it.

Can someone point me in the right directions?
There's a good writeup here:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229263
Hope this helps!
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #315
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
There's a good writeup here:
http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229263