Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #1306
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Heard the wee Honda blew it's engine this morning?
10 minutes up the road from the camp, didn't even make it to Bancroft. I picked him up with the trailer, swung by my place to drop my kid, Doc's place to drop their gear, then off to the Mallorytown On Route near Brockville to drop him off to meet Nolan, who once he'd collected his truck, was gonna pick him up for the return leg home to Boston.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #1307
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
Nolan should be there by now
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #1308
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Heard the wee Honda blew it's engine this morning?
Probably just a burned exhaust valve, but certainly not a roadside fix. We were ready to let him ride Stephanie's bike with her on the back, and me carrying his luggage, but it didn't come to that.

When we went back to see him on the road the details had been arranged for Drif10 to pick him up and rendez-vous with Nolan. Left some water, nuts and berries with him since it looked like he was going to have to wait a while there before being picked up.

Anyway, with Nolan driving, they'll both be home tonight, I'm sure. Nolan's the original marathon man, apparently. ;)
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #1309
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,296
Great Weekend!

Had a great weekend! I was having so much fun I even forgot it was raining! Today myself and a few other rides had a blast on the route home. That was some serious fun! I was having so much fun, I didn't stop nearly enough to take pictures.

Thanks everyone for coming out and make such a success!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #1310
dvd_scott
Back road daydreamer

Oddometer: 204
Had an awesome weekend. Good to meet everyone.
Dave
dvd_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #1311
dvd_scott
Back road daydreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
Had a great weekend! I was having so much fun I even forgot it was raining! Today myself and a few other rides had a blast on the route home. That was some serious fun! I was having so much fun, I didn't stop nearly enough to take pictures.

Thanks everyone for coming out and make such a success!

Amazing ride home today they where some awesome roads you had us on.

Remember to watch out for those red trucks
Old 05-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #1312
dvd_scott
Back road daydreamer

Beer Goddess......

I'd like to thank the beer goddess aka Mama Coast Guard for looking after all our sorry asses
Old 05-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #1313
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_scott View Post
I'd like to thank the beer goddess aka Mama Coast Guard for looking after all our sorry asses
Yes, she did a great job!

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #1314
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Yep, the ride was awesome, and for some reason, I didn't mind the fact that it rained all weekend. It could have been worse. We could have been sucking back dust, hot and humid sweating our nuts off in all our gear. I was wet, but it was warm enough that I didn't mind, no dust, and not too many bugs.

I also didn't stop to take enough pictures. Here's the best of what I had.

My bike spontaneously decided to do a pirouette here. After I picked myself up, I noticed this cool old foundation in the forest I never would have seen otherwise.

Unfortunately I didn't snap a pic until AFTER he picked his bike up out of the rhubarb.

The river on the Burntlands section.

Just a little stuck. Being from away, I guess he's not used to our terrain. I knew what was waiting in there the instant I saw it.

Misc:

At the Black Donald campground. Mort Subite raspberry beer. Mmmmmmm.....

The huge hydro dam near Calabogie.

From the Old Hastings Road. What a discovery! Right in my back yard, and I was not aware of this gem!

R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #1315
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Yes, she did a great job!

Her account is in the holding pattern, so she is now encouraged to make her own ride report as she had her "adventure" as well.

Falling asleep last night in a real bed "with blankets" "What a great bunch of people" she said. She couldn't of believed that that many people, from different walks of life. Got along, helped each other. No personality issues, and smiles from everyone.

Thank you everyone for making her feel welcomed, encourage, enpowered to get on and ride. I for one, am thankful she will come to an event like this, somewhat ruffing it, and come home with the biggest ear to ear grin I have seen for some time. Thank you all for treating her with care and respect. I think she even has more brusies than I have...

She had the best time, and can't wait for the next adventure.... and oh, that camera has 175 pics from this.

the pics are coming, I feel asleep in the middle up loading some to photobucket. I will get them out the later today....

And the mascot doesn't seem to want to do anything today!!!

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 06:08 AM
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #1316
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,942
way to flog that wee machine
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #1317
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, and thanks to whoever it was that lent me their knife on Friday morning to cut back the knobs on my big front tire. I didn't realize just how much of a lifes-saver that was until later. That night I tried to trim a little more off just to be sure using my own knife that was buried deep in my pack. It's brand new, never been used. Wouldn't hardly scratch the rubber. Cheap POS. Pretty nice one you've got there, I'm going to have to upgrade. If you hadn't lent yours, I probably wouldn't have any front forks left.

I can't wait to see pics of the beaverdamn on the Hastings Heritage Rail Trail from Saturday? I missed that section, and am really curious what that looked like. I rode that trail last year on my 250X with the slick Supermoto tires from Madoc all the way up to Bancroft no problem. Also can't wait to see pics from my attempted water crossing further up that trail, most people didn't get to that section I think. Would have needed a boat for sure.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #1318
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I can't wait to see pics of the beaverdamn on the Hastings Heritage Rail Trail from Saturday? I missed that section, and am really curious what that looked like. I rode that trail last year on my 250X with the slick Supermoto tires from Madoc all the way up to Bancroft no problem. Also can't wait to see pics from my attempted water crossing further up that trail, most people didn't get to that section I think. Would have needed a boat for sure.
No pictures, but it was passable the whole way through. At the dam itself, you REALLY didn't want to be on the deep side of the trail but no problem getting through. And before that trail, I had never made my Dakar fly!

I got home yesterday evening, took the bags off the bike, took a shower, and slept like the dead. I think that's the sign of a successful weekend!

HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to EmBeeDee and Dresda for helping me search for a brake lever after a stupid road-side drop took it off.
And another HUGE HUGE HUGE thanks to Mike650GS for giving me his spare lever later in the day!

I was too busy riding to take pictures, but I'm sure other folks will fill in the details. With all the riding we did, it seems to me that we barely scratched the surface of all of the roads and trails up there. I definitely need to make some time to get up there again.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #1319
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
With all the riding we did, it seems to me that we barely scratched the surface of all of the roads and trails up there. I definitely need to make some time to get up there again.
For sure. You could easily spend 3 days exploring just around Bancroft.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #1320
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,461
So here's my RR for the weekend

The route we put together was a slightly modified version of 2-3 days of the TCAT. The goal was first and foremost for everyone to have fun and be safe. The next goal was to get a feel for the gps files and how accurate they were, to see how the optional technical sections were suited to loaded bikes, to see what the main route of the TCAT was like in regards to terrain, scenery, etc. This section of the TCAT goes through my backyard. Juames and myself have spent many, many days putting it together over the last year. The TCAT has many sections (even weeks at a time) where big wide gravel highways are the only terrain, the "harder" parts of the main route are spread out here and there. Skibum has a few days on a rail line that he says can be challenging, I've seen some of Chris's section in Sask and can imagine it becomes very challenging when wet and slick, etc In between these are days of cruising gravel roads. I want to say that this section of the route is not the norm....but I think there will be a few area's where the terrain is similar to this.

After hearing many folks thoughts here is what I came away from the event with.

1. The technical optional (Hero) sections are suited to experienced riders who want to have a small challenge or enjoy rougher terrain. Folks seemed to enjoy them.

2. The main route is challenging when it gets wet. This is inevitable and predictable.

3. Knobby tires are a must

4. Beavers can make a lake in one day where there was almost nothing the day before.

5. Washouts can occur which will put a river across a road.

6. Not everyone knows how to use a gps

7. GPS units that don't do tracks and are not suitable for the TCAT ubnless you are a gizmo wizard

So is the terrain too challenging for a 15, 000 km route? I think I'll stand by our choices and say no. The trails used for the main are dead easy when dry. When wet they do become challenging for sure, but then so does any clay or dark dirt surfaced road.

I look forward to hearing others reviews, comments and suggestions in regards to the terrain for the TCAT

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote