Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 08:51 AM   #61
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,769
Was thinking about this thread and wanted to add one more thought, especially for the US folks who haven't gotten to ride a roadbook before: the equipment is less important than getting to do it.

A bunch of folks here in Colorado started with the cheapy plastic acerbis just about duct-taped to the handlebars and a mechanical odo, and had an absolute blast.

I think many folks think they need all this stuff before they can go try it, that's not the case. KISS, then once you're addicted, start raising the game.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #62
David P.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Was thinking about this thread and wanted to add one more thought, especially for the US folks who haven't gotten to ride a roadbook before: the equipment is less important than getting to do it.

A bunch of folks here in Colorado started with the cheapy plastic acerbis just about duct-taped to the handlebars and a mechanical odo, and had an absolute blast.

I think many folks think they need all this stuff before they can go try it, that's not the case. KISS, then once you're addicted, start raising the game.

Very good point, Ned!

It's not what you bring, it's the fact that you do it. We've had people with fridge magnets on their tanks on local rallies and they've had a blast. My first time went so wrong in all ways possible, but I was totally hooked by the whole experience.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #63
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,055
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P. View Post
Very good point, Ned!

It's not what you bring, it's the fact that you do it. We've had people with fridge magnets on their tanks on local rallies and they've had a blast. My first time went so wrong in all ways possible, but I was totally hooked by the whole experience.
Yay, and amen, Ned and David!

some budget versions;

The ultimate cheapy... K.Mart plastic lunchbox and wooden dowels:

Mk II: plastick lunch box with alloy dowels!

DIY manual roller in metal/combine ICO bracket and a plexi-glass screen.

Home made electric roadbook holder (for the DIY over achievers out there ) based on a satandard electricial housing from any hardware store... screw on fitted cover adds a degree of professionalism to finished result.

Another nicely finished manual roller...

And if DIY isn't your thing... but you still want "dip your toe in the water" and go the budget route - BEFORE you lash out on the latest Marcil DesComa replica nav' tower and electronic roadbook holder, remote control tripmeter and laser guided GPS navigation system... well the good old Acerbis manual roller (or the cheaper copies of it) mounted on the crossbrace has been serving both newcomers and experienced rallye goers alike, for nigh on 25 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #64
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,449
Quote:

Well said, Ned.

Ganshert built a bracket for my roadbook in about 5 minutes using some scrap steel, and it works fine. Of course I'd still like to build a full-on Rally bike, but the point is that I've been able to do a bunch of cool roadbook rides.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #65
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:

Mostly true but if you're loading your $8,000 bike into a container and shipping it to an event that cost $10,000 with a $1600 plane ticket on top, it certainly seems foolish to scrimp on the $300 route book holder.

For a dual sport ride, why not use the cheap option
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #66
M.R.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Well Charlie I am running this setup at Yilgarn, so it had better bloody work

Mine:
http://www.rallymanagementservices.c...igation-clamps[/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 AM   #67
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R. View Post
Well Charlie I am running this setup at Yilgarn, so it had better bloody work
Cool. Let me know how it goes. Between me and our Rally School bikes and a few that have already gone to rallies, these have done many thousands of hard miles and the feedback has been very good.

As an alternative to the Acerbis RB holder, F2R makes a manual roadbook holder also. A bit more expensive than the Acerbis, but works much better. Of course, I like the DIY approach for starters too!

fun fun
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #68
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

Another nicely finished manual roller...

Touratech RB-Compact for narrow format (2 1/2") paper. Works well but the cover has detached itself more than once in the woods on mine.

Another option for narrow format paper is the Corona Racing units. They're pretty large but feature electrical advance/rewind. I have one (External motor) on my 690 Enduro and it's held up well.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #69
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Touratech RB-Compact for narrow format (2 1/2") paper. Works well but the cover has detached itself more than once in the woods on mine.

Another option for narrow format paper is the Corona Racing units. They're pretty large but feature electrical advance/rewind. I have one (External motor) on my 690 Enduro and it's held up well.
yeah those covers dont stay on. I just lost my second one on a ride Saturday....felt it fly off and hit me in the chest but I couldnt find it after. I usually keep a rubber band around it for a little extra insurance.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #70
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Connection points

there has been a couple of shots of connection points. Primarilary to the steering head, either with a clamp, welded or bolted. I know this is not a popular choice, as it requires drilling and tapping and some probably more advanced machining, but this is what I did on the 950. The reason it has so many drilled and tapped holes for bolting things to is because when I started I had no idea what I was going to make as the 'nav-tower' so I figured the more attachement points I had at my disposal the better. The ali Block is held onto the steering head with Sikaflex and 5 off M5x0.8 CSK SHCS. It has proven to be very reliable, having survived some big crashes that destroyed the tower.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:28 AM   #71
TimFinnegan
Rally addicted

Oddometer: 115
Why dont you put some nuts on the screws?
TimFinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:07 PM   #72
takman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFinnegan View Post
Why dont you put some nuts on the screws?
Better still might be to have a backing plate the same as the inner diameter of the headtube so you end up clamping it and distributing more load around the headtube. If there's room to do so of course. Pretty sweet nonetheless.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #73
TimFinnegan
Rally addicted

Quote:
Better still might be to have a backing plate the same as the inner diameter of the headtube so you end up clamping it and distributing more load around the headtube. If there's room to do so of course. Pretty sweet nonetheless.
Sure, you need a plate to have a flat ground for the nuts, but that might also be a good version.
The problem with the threads in the frame is the force is acting against the frame only at probably 2-3mm eachs screw directly in the frame.
By having a plate inside an bigger holes in the frame the force would act against a much bigger area.

But as takman said: pretty sweet nonetheless!

Cheers
Marco
Old 06-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #74
tileman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
I made a clamp similar to whats above with the internal backing plate. Check post #179 and after for pics etc....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...461007&page=12

It wasn't 2 hard to machine and I have used a ultra hard rubber both inside and out to help with some of the vibration that I figure will happen.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...2122010006.jpg

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/w...2122010003.jpg
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #75
TimFinnegan
Rally addicted

Well desgined I'd say!

By the way nice thread!