Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
emt8q5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Scooter safety and ATGATT guilt

Hey folks...

ok, I've got a question here, and would love some input. A bit tongue in cheek, but still legitimate:

I live in sub-urban area (Clayton, MO for those of you familiar with St. Louis) which is pretty compact. During the summer, I swim laps most week nights at my community pool which is maybe 2 miles from my apartment. I see all these folks zipping around on scooters in shorts, tshirt and sandals with open face helmets on and I'm jealous. Why can't I ride my G650gs to the pool in my swimsuit and tshirt with boat shoes on? If I stay below 30mph, isn't my G650gs just as safe (if not safer) than these scooters?

I'm 100% ATGATT, however I'm considering making an exception for the 2 mile commute assuming I stay under 30mph (speed limit of 20mph on my route to the pool)...What do you guys think?
emt8q5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
Why can't I ride my G650gs to the pool in my swimsuit and tshirt with boat shoes on?
Who ever said that you couldn't?!

Do what you want, it's your own skin.

If you think that an accident is less likely to occur during a short trip at low speed. To me, it's like saying that you can CHOOSE when you'll agree to have an accident or not but each his own.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
CZP01
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
You can't pick and choose when it is "safe" and when it is "not safe". People sometimes die in low-speed crashes (remember the motor cop that just died in a funeral procession?) and people sometimes walk away from high-speed crashes.

I used to be 90% ATGATT but since it's warming up I've started taking the 3-mile ride to work wearing just my work uniform (khakis and a polo), a helmet, gloves, and boots. Is it slightly more dangerous? Yes. Is it much more convenient, comfortable, and most of all liberating? YES.
CZP01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Do what you want, it's your own skin.

^^^ ^^^
Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
^^^ ^^^
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
...What do you guys think?
Why do you care what we think?

It's your life, live it the way you want!

BTW, I'm not ATGATT, but I spare the world from having to be blinded by the brightness of my legs!
66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
I have seen some nasty stuff happen to people at 10 mph when the bike slid out on sand. Shorts and flip flops (down the shore).
If I was you, I would buy a bicycle.

I used to ride my Triumph to work every day till I got enough tickets and lost my licence, then I rode a bicycle 10 miles one way for 6 months, while working at the factory (actual WORK).
I was never in better shape.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Rusty the Scoob
Commuter

Oddometer: 289
Personally I don't see a big difference in the danger level between going 20 mph on a bicycle or 30 mph on a motorcycle. Yet NOTGATT is looked at as no big deal on a pedal bike.

About the cop who died in a funeral procession - I'm guessing he didn't die of road rash...
Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob View Post
Personally I don't see a big difference in the danger level between going 20 mph on a bicycle or 30 mph on a motorcycle. Yet NOTGATT is looked at as no big deal on a pedal bike.

About the cop who died in a funeral procession - I'm guessing he didn't die of road rash...
Exactly.

The problem with ATGATT is the time and effort it takes, not to mention the heat (95 here today), to change into long pants, boots, gloves, textile jacket, full face helmet...just to make a 5 mintue (2 mile round trip) ride to the grocery store to pick up an item or 2 when I'm lounging around the house in shorts and flip-flops.

I'm not ATGATT. I'm a former HD, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves rider, although I am converting and have been wearing a half helmet on the HD for the last 7 years and now a full face helmet with more gear on the Tiger 1050.

But putting on all the stuff just for a short ride makes me question if I even want to take the bike....it's a lot easier to just hop in the car or ride with no gear.

I've thought of posting a poll....asking who is really 100% ATGATT with emphasis on ALL the gear and ALL the time.

I'm guessing very few of us are truly 100% ATGATT and more likely MTGMTT.
blk-betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Autocracy
KLR = Trials bike?

Oddometer: 534
Every now and then I cheat it on local rides. 2 miles to work? Cheated today for the first time this season. I spent the whole weekend riding in hot weather down to DC and back up with my Aerostich. I needed a bit of a break... gloves, helmet, boots today. Sometimes I'll take a riding jacket with no pants instead of the 'stich. Tomorrow I'll be wearing the 'stich again (I always visualize somebody not paying attention since most of my trip is 4 lane road).

I'm still ATGATT when I leave town, but sometimes you just don't want to feel like you spend more time suiting up and down than riding. Risk / reward, and I do it. I spent the day feeling guilty about it. Sometime next month, I'll do it again anyway.

SIG: HUP
Autocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,036
Buy a bicycle and ride it the two miles. You can't use the usual argument about stinking when you get there because you're about to jump in a fucking pool.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I don't see how it's OK to ride a bicycle to the pool without gear and it's some kind of major violation of safety-nazi mandates to ride your motorcycle the same way...

The motor cop who got killed last week collided with another motor (at speed) and was launched into the hood of an oncoming car.

Don't tell anybody, but sometimes I like to ride slowly around my neighborhood on my sidecar rig wearing only shorts, tennies, and a t-shirt!

And just between you and me, I took the tags off my pillow and sometimes eat a little raw hamburger meat!

"What is it you're rebelling against Johnny?"
"Whatta ya got?"
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
emt8q5 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
So maybe a didn't phase my question correctly. I guess I was really just trying to figure out why shorts/tshirt/sandals/jimmy buffett look is fine on a scooter but a no-no on a motorcycle? Assuming speed is similar am I more at risk dropping a motorcycle (i.e. leg injuries?) than a scooter?
emt8q5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #14
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,036
Quote:
So maybe a didn't phase my question correctly. I guess I was really just trying to figure out why shorts/tshirt/sandals/jimmy buffett look is fine on a scooter but a no-no on a motorcycle? Assuming speed is similar am I more at risk dropping a motorcycle (i.e. leg injuries?) than a scooter?

I knew exactly what you meant, and I don't have a good answer for you. I've wondered the same thing for years. It's all a stigma thing, best I can figure. Scooters are the "safe" choice and motorcycles are "dangerous." As far as I'm concerned, it's the other way around. I think you're a lot more likely to get creamed on a scooter (much harder to see, tiny wheels, often poor handling and accelerating, etc).

As for not wearing ATGATT on a bicycle, well, the way I see it is you're not actively participating in traffic (unless you're an idiot) so most likely the crash you might have will not be against a cage. I will not a ride my bicycles without a helmet, full fingered and padded gloves and sturdy shoes. I went down on rough rocky pavement on a bicycle at about 15 MPH once and got bruised up but didn't break anything. My gloves saved my hands since that is what hit first. Gloves got torn up but my hands did not. At the speeds most people bicycle (some exceptions) a fall will not have you sliding far enough to get nearly as rashed as even a scooter crash can. Big difference between 10 and 30 MPH.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
The weight is the big difference.
400 to 500 pounds VS 20 pounds.
You can hop off and/or stop the bike with your feet, not so a 500 pound motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty the Scoob View Post

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote