User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #61
Glowplug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
kids as passangers

I'm seriously thinking of taking my 4 year old into the Pine Barrens on my xchallenge. It's not a matter of if but when. We would trailer there, start with really short rides with lots of breaks.

2 things:
1. My kid would be way safer riding between me and the tank bag, in front. We've tried this in the neighborhood, and he gets wedged in there and has an easy reach of the bars. The bag gives him a measure of support, and I'm going to fabricate some footpegs that will attach to the upper motor mounts and stick out like frame sliders. The question is, how will the law view this (passenger in front)? New Jersey.
2. Anyone have a great source for kids riding apparel? Or opinions on street helmet vs dirt helmet for a kid? I would think goggles could be a challenge.
Glowplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #62
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,475
I don't take my wife - too dangerous to have both of us on a single bike. I do take my daughter who is 11. She has all the gear - easier to get kids gear here in europe.

Anyway - while it is of course dangerous, at 11 and with an intercom, it is great. What she (and i) get out of it is definitely worth the risk (easy to say right now). But i has been a big benefit to our relationship.

Conversely, she fell off her ripstick the other day and hit her head on the ground - got a concussion. Scary.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #63
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
It's all about risk-reward.

Personally, my daughter is too young but I'm coming around to the idea that an occasional trip may be acceptable but regular trips are too dangerous for cumulative risk. Look around on this and any other motorcycle forum. They ALL have memorial threads for experienced riders who have been killed on their bikes. You can minimise your risk and ride safe but biking is still a high-risk pasttime. I'm also concerned about both me and my wife being on the same bike at the same time; I do not go out of my way to suggest lots of 2-up trips although there are limited numbers of shorter trips. Limiting the time of loved ones on the bike is my way of limiting the risk.

I'd be quite happy if my daughter decided she never wanted to own a motorbike.
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:03 AM   #64
Hockley Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Personally I don't ride with my kid on the back nor will I ever...

My reasons....motorcycling is a risk that I take on for myself, I am not prepared to take that risk for my daughter, as a minor she does not have the ability to make those types of life choices. I would not be able to live with myself if I had an accident with her on the bike and she was seriously injured or killed.

So if you ride with a child ask yourself if your prepared to be responsible for both lives....
I have never taken any of the kids on the back of a bike for similar reasons also I think a lot depends on where you live, the traffic in the SE of England makes the whole thing a lot more hazardous than riding on lightly used roads in open countryside.
Hockley Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #65
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i all ways take my girlfreind on the back of my bike as i now there is a risk in scotland but as i only have a bike and cant afford to run a car as she will all ways be on the back, in all the gear. the bike is a fun and cheap way to get about as cars are boring and cost a help of a lot more to run
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #66
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Just had a difference of opinions with parents about taking our child on the bike. They feel it is a completely insane thing to do.
Wife is a new rider, I am 30 year+ experienced, IBA rider. Child would be with me on bike, not wifey.

Thoughts would be well appreciated here.... We cannot be the first to experience this backlash from the "grand-parents"
Depending on the child, I would set them in the front of me, holding a xbar pad. If you're going to go for the 300 mile cruise then that would be a little different.

manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #67
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street R View Post
I've road on the back of my father's many motorcycles for as long as I can remember. It's the reason why I have a passion for motorcycles today.

Was it risky? Yes, of course. But I think we (as a society) has grown way too paranoid about the dangers in life. Enjoy life, don't fear it.
Exactly. I think the level of "what if's" and all the paranoia of everything that could possibly go wrong prevent people from living.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #68
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Exactly. I think the level of "what if's" and all the paranoia of everything that could possibly go wrong prevent people from living.
The 'what if's' have served me really well in nearly 50 years of riding, one crash, not my fault, a woman made a u-turn in front of me, '71 i think it was. I started to take my daughter as a pillion when she was 13, any younger, i wouldn't anyway, but you know how it is, telling someone what they should or shouldn't.
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #69
Silver King
Maita'i roa ae!

Oddometer: 1,801
I used to take my oldest (9yo now) on the bike until we almost became the hood ornament of a redneck racing diesel (lifted Dodge 4X4) on private property. Shortly after, my boss' 19yo son (also a friend of mine) died in a motorcycle wreck.

I don't think I'll let her on unless the circumstances are ideal....but even then??? She loves riding on motorcycles though. Even after a good, 10 yard, gravelly low side.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #70
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,548
The pictures are great, I love those big smiles on the children's faces!!

My son is 18mo at the moment and he has the bug, I think his first cognitive sound was "vrrrr, vrrrr"... I keep changing my mind over this, thinking how great it feels and letting him experience that greatness as well, but then a sleepy cager makes me realise how easily things turn real bad on 2 wheels...

A child's dirtbike is in the plans but urban riding with him on the back? hmmm... I will try to limit that as much as I can...

The president and the vice-president (that's me and my wife) ride regularly on the same bike (she has raised concerns but then rides along happily when we get to it) but it's completely different with the child, as others have stated on this thread...
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:18 PM   #71
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
i have a now 4 year old whos been a pillion since birth, i kid you not, around the back yard, she started sitting in a tank bag and rack bag stationary when watching me work on the bikes. then when she was about a year old, she wanted to ride, and sat on on this hump between the frame of a scooter i had, legs wrapped around her, all strapped in, then she progressed to sittign between the tank and the bike, nwo shes on the back, shes confident, and holds on well. I now have a Pillion belt i brought from starrider.com this belt with handles, so she can hold on properly. she wears ther ight gear all the time, my rules, helmet gloves, boots.

She turns 4 soon, and im considering buying her her first bike, and all the propper armour.

be safe, be smart, i ride, at a walking pace around a big back yard. making sure she is safe and confident, she has always wanted to do this, i was relutant at first, but my daughter gets what she wants, shes grown up with me loving bikes.

i grew up with my dad on bikes too, use to get taken to preschool on the tank and then ocky'd to the back.

my dad grew up with the family side cart, with my pop a bike racer...

bikes in the blood, hell yes

Storm Shadow screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 06:53 PM
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #72
stevets32
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Risk Aversion

A most excellent topic...For me, not getting my daughter on the bike from a young age was not in the cards. I was raised by a fearful mother, even to the point of sitting in the car during lightning storms, yeah I know. The kid's first ride was in front and around the neighborhood and now she has full armor, except boots (still working on that one), and a rider's harness. We are still working on pillion etiquette, but we will be out on the mean streets eventually. My wife and I decided that the we want her to live a full life and that doesn't mean never doing anything dangerous. EVERYTHING is dangerous, when you choose to really think about it. I was able to overcome my anxiety ridden childhood and picked up riding, rock & ice climbing and sea kayaking. Each activity has its own risks, but the rewards are immense. Both Grandma's have expressed their "displeasure" at the thought of their granddaughter on the bike but have chosen to keep mostly silent.

I think metaljockey covered the reasoning very well when talking about taking his daughter on his adventures. It's unfortunate that I had to order gear from England (THANKS!, babybiker.com) and the riding belt from Canada (THANKS! Riderragz!), but we feel that we have taken the precautions necessary to minimize what exposure we can. I commute every day on the bike. My wife is taking her MSF and we will be taking family rides. If other parents don't feel it is appropriate, then they can wrap their children in cotton. It is too easy to look back on an accident and judge from the future. We all pack our kids into cars and haul them around...and yet children still die.

On our first trip around the 'hood, I kept hearing her yelling something (yes, we are working on communication) so I pulled over and discovered that she was yelling FASTER, FASTER DADDY! Oh great, this is a whole 'nother set of problems.

Ride Safe!

I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it. --Dwight D. Eisenhower
stevets32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #73
Storm Shadow
Thread Ninja

Oddometer: 1,489
in australia they changed it to a minimim age of 7 years old to be a pillion. so no road trips for my daughter for a few years...
Storm Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #74
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,034
Neighbor's friend gave me a ride on the back of a Bonneville way back when, (of course no gear whatsoever) it was when the fascination met reality and that was it, motorcycles fully entered my life. Mind, this neighbor's friend was unknown to my parents, so I don't know if they would have approved. Probably not, and as it turns out I had to keep my first few motorcycles hidden from them. The irony isn't lost on me, my mother was into horse jumping. But I suppose if your kids are really interested and you're not keen on giving them a ride keep an eye out for where they might go to get a ride.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #75
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
This topic has come up several times. However, my experience has not changed.

Many years ago, my father used to pick me up at my nursery school on his motorcycle. Before me he would pick up my sister. We both lived, and this was in the days before people out on helmets for anything more exciting than a rocking chair.

My sister used to fall asleep so my father had to rig up some milk crate sides and rear for her when she ride. She never did fall off. Further, I see children riding all the time. The one I still find funny is when I see a child riding behind their mother, facing rearward, and using the top-box as a desk to do their homework while putting down the road.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote