Oddometer: 1,763
Slow and Smooth...
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #34
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Pilo,

I'm going to chime in and tell you what worked for me. I got third Expert Ironman in the V to R in '06.

I rolled up to the starting line prepared to just spend a long day out riding at my own pace having fun with a few buddies...er...a whole LOT of buddies.

I was prepared for the physical AND mental aspect of the race by training and riding just like you appear to be but I also felt that I may need a mental edge. So, I played a little game with the odometer on the XR 650R I was riding. The odometer only reads to 99 miles and then turns over to zero. Knowing this, let's say that the distance between pit 6 and pit 8 is 65 miles. If you roll the odometer to 35 miles at pit 6, you should be at 0 miles on the odometer when you hit pit 8. Mentally, it was a big deal for me because, the closer the odometer climbed to 100 (or 0) miles, the closer I was to friends,food and fuel. I prepared for this by adding notes to the pit crew notes so that someone in my pit crew (my brother) would know what mileage to roll the odometer to at each pit. It worked like a charm, especially when I ran out of gas. Had I not been carrying a little extra fuel in my backpack, a quick check of the odometer would have told me that I was only a mile from pit 13 and I could literally have pushed the bike there.

I had two camelbacks and I would make sure that my pit crew always had one ready to go with cold water if I was running low. In Nevada in August, the humidity is pretty low and you've got to constantly be drinking water. If you get thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

The same can be said for food. If you get hungry, the time to eat something is already past. I put my girlfriend in charge of food and she made sure that the food was already cut up in small bites and of a good variety. Some banana bites to combat cramping, some sandwich bites that included deli meats, bread, lettuce, and cheese, and some small fruites. She presented these items to me at each pit and I grabbed what looked good...but made sure that I didn't take too much. I didn't want to get bloated by the combination of the bread and the water I was drinking.

Of course, it helps to have your own pit crew for this sort of stuff. In the Ironman class, I knew that I was going to be riding slow enough for a single chase vehicle and, had they not stopped at a grocery store for lunch (a drive-thru would have been better), I would not have beaten them to pit 15 where I got gas from another team and headed to the finish line. In a team with fresh riders, we'll need two chase trucks to leap-frog the pits.

Then, above all else, I made sure that I was having a good time.

This all worked really well but I still finished the race 10 lbs lighter than I started. So, in my mind, it's definitely possible to be too skinny and without enough reserves.

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe I'll see you there as I'm hoping to be in a three-man team running open expert this year.

Tom
Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #35
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 887
Thanks everyone for the wishes...it was a good BD and fun with the family.

Tom - there are some real nuggets of wisdom wrapped in there, thanks. Do you really think one chase vehicle could follow/fuel a non-pro ironman? I figured there was no way, but it sounds like you've experienced differently.

I totally hear you on the mental trickery. I do stuff like that even when I am exercising to help me get to the end of a long stretch.

I think I'll have the food/energy situation worked out. The Hammer stuff seems to be working pretty well and combined with a few PB&J sandwiches I think I can get through. I talked more to Frog about his technique of having one water and one Hammer Perpertuem (energy stuff with protein and other stuff for +2 hour activities) bladder in his backpack. I'm going to try that approach in the race in a couple of weeks. I think it is a good plan.
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #36
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,463
usually a truck can beat you to each stop.. you will be doing good if you can average 40mph.. except for rawhide pits or a remote pit which there is usually one or two .. you can usually have someone take a can for you out to those. I kind of do what YB did.. small amounts of food with lots of water/drink.. taking each leg between pits as a small race.. but last year I just started having my guy skip each pit.. going about 70 each stop.. the only problem is if you have a flat or mech problems he will be hour coming back if you need him..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM   #37
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I definitely think that one pit crew can chase a non-pro ironman. It's all in the pit strategy. There were 16 pits in 2006 and I looked closely at the mileages between them and figured out a system so that my pit crew wouldn't have to go to every single pit or the remote pits (the definition of a remote pit is a pit that requires more mileage to be traveled by the pit crew to get there than for the race vehicle). I pitted at pits 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 13, and 15. The distance between my pit stops averaged between 60 and 70 miles skipping pits like I was, except for the leg between pits 8 and 11. That one was just over 80 miles and, with no troubles, I could have made it (3.8 gallon Clark tank). However, we chose not to replace the air filter in the XR at pit 8 and that was a mistake. The filter got clogged and it was a struggle to get it to accelerate. It took full throttle to get anything out of it so I was burning a lot of extra fuel. So, I wasn't surprised when it ran out of gas and I had to lean it over to continue. Likewise, I wasn't surprised when it ran out again and I had to pull a bottle of gas out of my camelback.

This is a good indication of how serious I was (not very). The bottle of fuel I was carrying in my camelback was in case I ran across someone else who had run out. I had never intended for it to be for me. Then, also between pits 8 and 11, I ran across a guy who had crashed and broken several ribs. I stopped to make sure he was alright and he begged me to start his bike for him. His plan was to get the bike to the next pit and he also wanted me to ride with him and make sure he was ok. I agreed and was forced to watch as at least two other ironmen passed us because we were riding so slow. Finally I was sick of it, got the thumbs up from mr. broken ribs and took off to catch those two riders. I figured that, for the ironman class, it's more about just getting to the finish line but my competitive nature got the best of me. I saw his pit crew at pit 11 and they were extremely thankful because my help meant that they were able to get the bike to the next rider so they could stay in the race. After all this, I'm sure you can understand my surprise when I found out that I had gotten third in class.

So, unless you're Quinn Cody, a single chase vehicle should be enough. Just make sure they have everything they need in the chase vehicle so they don't have to stop for anything. You might even throw in a few jugs of fuel for the chase vehicle so they don't have to stop for that either. They can pour the jugs in while they are waiting for you at the pits. Had we taken these precautions, my pit crew wouldn't have missed me at pit 15 where I arrived there before they did.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #38
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

This is cool

Thanks for the feedback guys. Talking to my crew chief (and only crew!) he's excited about trying to get the logistics worked out and having a bit of a competitive activity (beating me to the next pit).

The BOR race this weekend (230 miles) should be a good quiz to see how my preparations are going. The course looks fun and the weather should be great with not too much dust. If I can find someone to pit me during the event I might get some pictures. If anyone is local and heading to the race to watch I'd gladly throw some of your favorite beverage in my camper in exchange for some help pouring fuel...

I plan to have my SPOT up and running, so you should be able to watch the progress on the link below if anyone is interested. The race starts about 6:30 AM MST
Old 05-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #39
commander51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Pilo, look me up out there In wendover, will have plenty of help to pit for you if you need it.
Chris
51p
commander51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:55 PM   #40
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Wendover Race Report

I arrived at the pits on Friday night and stood around the campfire with a few other ADVers (commander51, fano and frog) chatting for a bit before heading to my camper to try to get some sleep. I was up around 5 to get ready for the 6 AM or so start.

The sun had not risen when the A bikes left, followed by the A ATVs, A UTVs and B bikes followed by more B class ATVs and UTVs. For a taste of the pits, here is a picture of the A UTVS and the beginning of the B bikes.

The air was really crisp, but since I tend to warm quickly I wasn't too concernred as I rolled away from the green flag slowly and built some speed up the long road heading up into the hills. I missed the first major turn in the race 2 miles in and flopped over while laughing to myself about blowing the first corner. My SPOT flew out of its holder but fortunately I saw it leap so I quickly grabbed it and threw it into a side pocket on my fanny pack. The first loop (55 miles) was fast and sweeping and had more than a few hidden basketball rocks. I was riding well and making a few passes before hit mile 38 and came up on the #7 bike crashed with a possible tib/fib fracture. He said he was ok and from the dust coming from behind I knew one of the riders I had just passed would be there soon so I headed out to find the next check to tell them about the injured rider. The rest of the loop was really fast and as I rolled into the pits I told the official about the injury, bike number and location. As I was pouring my gas and taking a long drag on my camelbak I was able to look around a bit and take in the good vibe in the pits. I was having a great time and ready for loop 2 (65 miles).

Loop 2 went up into the mountains and was more technical so I was looking forward to making up some time on the group in front. I had not done any pre-running, so the course during the first two loops continued to be a surprise. I was zipping through some of the tight left / right corners at the base of a spectacular mountian when some loose rocks on an off camber right had me sliding out and pulling my right knee. I remounted easily, but it was hurting for a few miles. I began to wonder if I had pulled something important on the inside of the knee. After about 10 miles it loosened and starting feeling really good just in time for me to have a pretty major get off in a fast uphill left turn. The course here was littered with pointy rocks half buried in the ground. As I crested the corner in 3rd the front end washed out (looking back at the crash spot after I got up I saw that one of the rocks I was using for the corner uprooted and the front slid out - lessen, don't use rocks for corners!) and I lowsided pretty violently. My left shoulder made a horrendous cracking sound and as I was crashing I was thinking, "wow, that is going to hurt!" After sliding to a stop I got up to discover no obvious broken bones, just a super sore left side including an obvious rock impact soreness on the inside of my upper arm; a very unusual impact spot indeed. The bike looked fine except for a bent hand guard. I remounted and rode a really cautious and sloppy remainder of the 2nd loop. The terrain continued to be a technical and rough loop and I was riding tight trying to wait for my left side to come back to life. My left arm was especially unresponsive from getting banged around.

Pouring my gas for Loop 3 had me getting back into the zone, and again gave me time to take a big long drag on my hydration pack that contained the Hammer goop. It worked so well for this race that for sure I'm going to stick with the setup for the longer events. Loop 3 was a repeat of 1 and I was loosening up and feeling pretty good as my body was working through the discomfort from the falls. The palms of my hands were getting a little sore, but I was really feeling good. The 450x was running fantastic and after a few miles I was starting to really flow. I rolled into the pits happy and having a great ride. I just wanted to finish loop 4 without incident and be confident that I could do 200+ race miles without too much wear on my carcass.

I asked for some help from commander51's pit before loop 4 because I really had to go to the bathroom. C51's dad agreed to pour some gas while I zipped over beside my camper make a puddle. I saddled up will a full tank and an empty bladder and rolled off to finish the ride. I was much smoother going into loop 4 and was really feeling comfortable on the bike and the distance. It had been a while since I passed someone and when I saw some dust a few miles ahead I thought it might be an ATV or UTV. Frog was manning the check at about mile 18 and was waving me through. Not really in any rush I figured I'd stop and chat for a sec since I was pretty sure no one was catching me. I rolled up and asked him about the dust up ahead and he said it was c51 and he was only a couple minutes in front and that the leader was only about 15 minutes ahead. I asked him if Chris crashed and he said he did but he wasn't hurt too badly. Surprised by the news at how close I was I zipped away from the check and caught Chris in a couple of miles. I passed him through the dust and zoomed on, passing both of the spots where I had crashed earlier. About 35 miles from the finish my hydration bladder popped out of my camelbak and was swinging to the side. I rode for a couple of minutes with it in my lap, but I was impossible to stand with the bladder once again swinging in the wind, begging to be set free. Finally I pulled over and shoved it in under the belt on my fanny pack. Every 2-3 miles it would come loose and I'd have to pull over and tuck it back in. I was getting pretty good at the Indy style pit stop to quick pull over, tuck the bladder and race away. This picture was taken at the finish and you can see my slick new method for carrying an extra bladder. I call this the Camelgut system.

I finished a strong loop through the silt, whoops and tight, packed up my stuff and got ready to leave. On the way out I checked the results and found out I'd finished 2nd overall and that the winning bike may have been a team effort. I was surprised yet pleased. Some of the preparations I've been doing seem to be paying off.

Overall avg speed (including pits, crashes, 4 potty breaks, broken down riders, hydration bladder stuffing stops, etc.) was about 38 mph. Top speed on one paved section was 91 while on a couple of smooth sections it looked to be about 85).

Sunday I was a little sore but mostly on my left side that has some bruising. I had 2 or 3 times where I hit hidden rocks pretty fast and the front or rear of the bike did a major deflection. I thanked the Scotts steering damper out loud every time as I almost always do, though I think my exact words were, "that just saved my bacon." No problem with the 450x though, I just grabbed some throttle and it straightened right up.

Onward for V2R it looks like. I'm confident I can finish well if I keep the bike on two wheels.

Thanks for reading this long report.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #41
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Thanks for reading this long report.

More! Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 01:17 AM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #42
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Good job Pilo! But I don't think "Slow Man" fits the bill here anymore...
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #43
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 394
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #44
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 459
On to Vegas!

Great RR and great job Phil! Looks like your super secret training area paid dividends. Nice to hear you didn't get too banged up.

Lots of hot weather ahead to plan and train for the V2R...

Hope I can meet up with you sometime before the race and try to keep your dust in view.

Doug
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #45
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Great ride and report Pilo. Congratulations on the 2nd overall finish. I am enjoying your posts. Keep up the hard work, preparations, and great training.
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote