Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
I'm 100% ATGATT, however I'm considering making an exception for the 2 mile commute assuming I stay under 30mph (speed limit of 20mph on my route to the pool)...What do you guys think?
I'd say you would be tempting Murphy's Law ... the moment you make an exception is the time some weirdarse thing happens and you will be posting in 'Faceplant'. I've read somewhere that most prangs happen within a couple of miles of home.

But it's your skin and your decision.

If you are going to the pool for exercise then a bicycle would be a good idea? It would increase the benefits of the exercise? Think how buff you would get ... and then post the pics

I think scooter riders see themselves as only marginally more at risk than bicycle riders ... just be thankful they don't ride around in Lycra too
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,613
The only things I ever require is long pants and a helmet.
Jacket only if its cold out.
90% of the time I can just hop on the bike.
When its HOT out, I have to put jeans on instead of shorts, i never ride in shorts.
On long rides I add sunblock.
30 years and I have not been down on the street, all that wearing the gear would have got old a long time ago.

On my last ride, I was enjoying a cold one at Fran's pub when a couple rolled up with 50 pounds of gear on, 90F 90% humidity, I felt sorry for them.

Guys who push it, new guys, rides on bad roads should all wear the gear I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Exactly.

The problem with ATGATT is the time and effort it takes, not to mention the heat (95 here today), to change into long pants, boots, gloves, textile jacket, full face helmet...just to make a 5 mintue (2 mile round trip) ride to the grocery store to pick up an item or 2 when I'm lounging around the house in shorts and flip-flops.

I'm not ATGATT. I'm a former HD, no helmet, no jacket, no gloves rider, although I am converting and have been wearing a half helmet on the HD for the last 7 years and now a full face helmet with more gear on the Tiger 1050.

But putting on all the stuff just for a short ride makes me question if I even want to take the bike....it's a lot easier to just hop in the car or ride with no gear.

I've thought of posting a poll....asking who is really 100% ATGATT with emphasis on ALL the gear and ALL the time.

I'm guessing very few of us are truly 100% ATGATT and more likely MTGMTT.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
Esker01420
Ich will einen taco.

Oddometer: 57
Is the scooter guy's brain going to get less splashed when he hits the pavement? Just cause cute girls go putt putting around with no gear doesn't mean they don't get seriously hurt on occasion.

My neighbor had a scooter. He got "hit and run" by an Escalade while wearing a POS open face helmet. He would've done better to wear a batting helmet. He looked like Mr Potato Head while they reconstructed his face for about a year. Lucky he survived. Lucky he can speak sorta clearly or walk or wipe his own ass everyday. Final bill was somewhere in the $450,000 range I think. Glad to help subsidize his bad choice ( not really.)

Yes, real men I was once a real man too. F' it I was young, dumb and invincible. No helmet laws in Delaware and Maryland at the time. Shorts, flops, lime green muscle tee and a mullet. And it was my choice not to wear gear. Just like it's your choice right now. Some kinda minimum might be smart.

(Even at a dead stop, standing still, falling from about 5 feet onto your head bone is gonna ruin your whole day.)

Good luck brother. And it doesn't matter whose fault it is if you're all fucked up for life. Be smart, watch out and ride the wheels off it.
Esker01420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 PM   #19
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Convenience. Scooters are all about convenience, and ATGATT isn't convenient. The lower speed also implies lower risk, because, face it, we're hard wired to equate speed with risk. Lower apparent risk, lower need for ATGATT, both to the rider and to onlookers.

Not asked, but implied, is why don't bicyclists go ATGATT. Easy.

If they did, they'd die.

You'll see motorcyclists out there in 45 degree weather with electrics, passing the bicyclist wearing just shorts, maybe a long sleeve jersey, gloves, helmet and shoes. Maybe it's 25 degrees, and the cyclist has long riding pants and a light jacket, and there's steam coming off their head. Bicyclists generate a great deal of heat.

Okay, so maybe they wouldn't die, but the fact is ATGATT isn't flexible enough, weighs too much, and doesn't breathe nearly well enough to be practical for cyclists.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #20
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,494
In the end it is your skin...I don't push the ATGATT agenda on anyone. But before you do it, consider that hitting the pavement at 20mph is going to result in NASTY scrapes...at a minimum. Put it this way: would you want to take your chosen shorts/t-shirt/boat shoes, get up a good hard run, and then dive onto the asphalt? If the answer is no, you should probably pick better clothing.

I tend to cheat on ATGATT with the short rides, but I never ride in shorts and a t-shirt. I have had too many wipe-outs even at slow speed on gravel to want the kind of road rash that would result...and I already do know the road rash that results, having been there. Picking stones and gravel out of your arm is no fun. So basically, for me, cheating means jeans and lighter boots still covering the ankle, and a decent quality jacket (like a carhartt). Never helmet-less.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #21
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 952
What people tend to ignore is that we don't always ride the same way, and our risk profile changes accordingly.

For me there are times when ATGATT is the go, mainly when I'm on a racetrack or out pushing through the twisties - a situation where there is much greater likelihood of crashing and losing some skin.

If it is a short commute, however, and you are only wearing lightweight gear (for instance, on a hot summer evening I am happy to wear shorts, teeshirt, sandals and mandatory helmet (open face)) then you ride to the conditions; i.e. more defensively - you know it's going to hurt more if you come off so you go slower, you don't lane split, you slow more for intersections, watch out even more than usual for vehicles pulling out from driveways or side roads, etc. in order to reduce the chances of coming off.

Of course, there is always the off chance that no matter what you do some other road user will mess up your day - you can never obviate all risks but there is a hell of a lot you can do to reduce the likelihood of an incident and make sure that on this ride the ATTGATT equipment (that's sitting in your wardrobe instead of on your back) is not required to serve its original purpose.

Everything we do in life has some risk associated with it - even getting out of bed is never 100% risk free. Forget about what your peers on this site tell you - it's up to you personally to educate yourself in order to decide what risk profile you are prepared to live with in return for the enjoyment you get from being bareback on that particular ride.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 AM   #22
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,794
Life is nothing if not a big Craps table.
We choose if and when we toss the dice or perhaps
we elect not to throw them at all.

It is my opinion that those who never pick up those cubes
are often, as Henry David Thoreau described, leading lives
of quiet desperation.

If you're going to back off the gear by degree, enjoy thoroughly
the experience of doing so. Be conscious of the joy of feeling
the warm breezes and the general lightness of being as you move
from place to place.

Otherwise... why bother.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 AM   #23
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I wrecked pretty good on a scooter...

So I don't care, I wear all of my gear even on a scooter.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #24
greybeard146
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Question Is It A State Of Mind Thing?

Good thread...it got me thinking that if I was going to get a scooter--and I have thought about it--would I go through the whole rigamorole of ATGATT or MOTGMOTT?

I concluded that I would at least wear a decent looking leather jacket with suitable builit-in / removable protection that would work both on/off bike and would definitely not be of the space cadet variety; a good pair of hard-knuckle gloves - but not the gauntlet type; kevlar (Hood) jeans - I have some already and they're great both on and off the bike - especially in the cooler seasons; and a sturdy pair of boots that would easily fit underneath my jeans and not look out of place (Diadora ankle boots); and a buff, of course; and my (Shoei / Arai) lid would be a flip-up variant or a full-face job in silver / white / or other reasonably bright colour; and I would wear a back protector plus arm/elbow/knee protection.

The thinking behind the a/m is that once on the scooter, I should be well sorted, and once I reach my destination, I can easily remove / divest myself of gear as desired, and stuff it away in the copious compartments of my scooter with large wheels and bags of oomf!

But, if I was getting on my motorbike, then it would definitely be ATGATT. Period.

Topbox Tours

CB750 F2w / R1100RT / F650 / DL1000 / Bandit 600 / CB200
greybeard146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #25
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I have seen some nasty stuff happen to people at 10 mph when the bike slid out on sand. Shorts and flip flops (down the shore).
If I was you, I would buy a bicycle.

I used to ride my Triumph to work every day till I got enough tickets and lost my licence, then I rode a bicycle 10 miles one way for 6 months, while working at the factory (actual WORK).
I was never in better shape.

That's funny!
F.W.I.W. I've had concussions, a broken toe, and pretty severe road-rash while riding a BMX 24inch Hutch Cruiser as a kid and absolutely NOTHING as severe has ever happend to me on a motorcycle.

We Humans have this marvelous thing called "Free Will".
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #26
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esker01420 View Post
Is the scooter guy's brain going to get less splashed when he hits the pavement? Just cause cute girls go putt putting around with no gear doesn't mean they don't get seriously hurt on occasion.
It's perfectly fine and even encouraged for cute girls to ride scooters with no gear. Sundress and sandals, maybe a cute pink 1/2 helmet and goggles. I think we can all agree on that right?

For the record I left my riding pants at home today, too hot. Rode home from work yesterday with them in my topcase as well. But I always wear my boots, jacket, gloves and helmet. The pants are on 90% of the time and always on out of town trips.
Attached Images

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:14 AM   #27
Zachsv
SVhaver

Oddometer: 152
Yeah when I come home from the gym I'm your usual squid...work out shorts, sneakers, but almost always my jacket.

Don't tell anybody, but this weekend I even rode around my friends neighborhood in sandals, t-shirt, and no helmet b/c I was giving my friends wife a first ride so she had the helmet. I know, i know, I'm a bad bad man. haha
Zachsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #28
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
Paraphrasing parents all over the world- "and if the scooter riders rode off a cliff, would you ride off the cliff, too?"

The problem is a failure on teh scooter rider's part to recognize the risks they're taking because "it's just a scooter" and "I'm just going a short way". Most collisions are close to home (possibly because most trips are short and stay close to home, but still) and the asphalt isn't any more forgiving on a scooter than it is on your Tiger.

Given I'm sitting on the sofa barefoot, in cargo shorts and T-shirt, I can get into:

And one of these on the helmet:

Almost without breaking stride as I push the bike out of the garage.

Mesh pants not much longer- an Aerostich even faster, though even I admit that's overkill for a ride to the pool.

Weigh your risks and choose what to protect, or not. I might risk a little road rash on the legs because I sit at a desk all day, but I need my brain and hands functional...
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #29
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachsv View Post
Don't tell anybody, but this weekend I even rode around my friends neighborhood in sandals, t-shirt, and no helmet b/c I was giving my friends wife a first ride so she had the helmet. I know, i know, I'm a bad bad man. haha
I've been that squid. Rarely enough that I pay a little more attention when I'm doing it. The hazard is when you do it so often it's commonplace and you start relaxing.

The Utah Motorcycle Safety Program / Utah Highway Patrol had a booth at Miller WSBK last weekend- one of the sign boards said something like "Seatbelts- because you've seen how people drive." The same can be said for a helmet.
dwoodward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,613
I have a long list of injuries mostly from dirt bike riding.
Never had anything serious happen on a bicycle, despite doing a lot of riding on one, although never in the city. Fell plenty off road, never got hurt.

Been down twice on the street in the rain and drunk, not hurt except a little road rash that did not stop me from working, etc.
Both times on Triumphs.

I have never owned gear except a helmet, cold weather garb not included.
I have been thinking about some sort of light weight jacket, but the stores around me have a limited selection, big heavy stuff with goofy designs on it and so on.
Maybe not wearing gear makes you cautious.
I know what is waiting for me if I screw up, so I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
That's funny!
F.W.I.W. I've had concussions, a broken toe, and pretty severe road-rash while riding a BMX 24inch Hutch Cruiser as a kid and absolutely NOTHING as severe has ever happend to me on a motorcycle.

We Humans have this marvelous thing called "Free Will".
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote