Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back.

**UPDATED DECEMBER 3RD, 2011**
I am back in the middle east again so with nothing better to do after work, I am going to start updating my posts, adding more photos, maps and daily mile counts, avg mpg, etc.

Dave

So here's the deal,
I'm a Gov't Contractor that deploys once a year and on a deployment in 2007 I found this web site and stromtrooper.com. That led to an eventual purchase of a brand new 2007 DL1000 in April 2009 and like the first hit of crack-cocaine it was only the beginning down a long slippery slope of farkles, gear, and soon several hundreds of gallons of gasoline at today's inflated prices!!

In two days, on June 4th I will depart the Tampa Bay area and head to Key West, Florida to start my first ever attempt at an "Extreme" IBA ride: The Ultimate Coast to Coast Challenge.

I think I've got the bike pretty well set up, put new tires on it last weekend, changed the fluids before my last deployment, new chain shortly before that. Now it's about time to see what I've forgotten or done wrong by testing it on the trip to D2D then Prudhoe Bay!!

Now since any ride report is worthless without pictures, I'll get the scariest one of all out of the way first - a photo of me with my bike taken on the BMW NEF Winter Rally back in February:

I started my testing with a ride up to Deals Gap and found the bike to be unstable at hwy speeds around semi-trucks so I headed back north on another trip to Traxxion Dynamics to get it "tweaked" with AK20 cartridges, some stiffer springs, and a new rear shock with a stiffer spring.
That led to an overly tall bike so I had the rear shortened a tad and it sits on the sidestand a lot better now AND it has the bonus of my stubby legs actually connecting a single foot to the ground!!

The photo above was with the bike loaded about how it will be June 4th so Traxxion could weigh the bike, bags, and my fat arse to get the springs weights right!

By the way, I've never attempted to blog anything online despite being a computer professional (I'm a Data Storage Admin of almost 6 petabytes of data in case anyone cares) so if you have any tips on what I'm doing wrong feel free to PM me and I'll edit things accordingly.

More to come as soon as I get some more photos, but I wanted to start the ride report today to post the link for friends and give the inmates here my Spotwalla tracking page link as well:

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?...d4dd5420cac0ea

Gotta run for now - wife said something about time for my "last supper".....not sure if I should be worried when you combine that with her questions about my life insurance....

Dave in Tampa

FL_biker screwed with this post 12-05-2011 at 09:14 AM Reason: corrected a typo
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_biker View Post
In two days, on June 4th I will depart the Tampa Bay area and head to Key West, Florida to start my first ever attempt at an "Extreme" IBA ride: The Ultimate Coast to Coast Challenge. Dave in Tampa
Go, Dave, go. We will be watching and wishing you well. Keep us informed of your progress!

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Thanks Dan,
If all goes well I will be making a stop in San Diego as well - I plan to ride the entire west coast from the Olympic Peninsula of Washington down your way!!

I'm hoping to get an appt with Wayne Boyer at Motoport to see their place (and maybe adjust the fit of my gear) while I'm there...

Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
CaptH
FNG

Oddometer: 36
Awesome! Good luck!
CaptH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 273
Sounds like a great trip on a great bike ! I'm in .
Ride safe, report often, but above all, have a fantastic time !!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Clank
ADV desk jockey

Oddometer: 23

I am in!!!
Clank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,574
you didn't mention but have you done any LD riding in the past?
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #8
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 380
Also leaving on June 4th

Hi Dan... I am also leaving on June 4th for Prudhoe Bay... but from Northern California

Maybe I'll see you on the road

Here is a link to my report of you are interested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...0#post16020310

goldenrev screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 06:08 PM
goldenrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
manshoon
Mr.Back Roads to you

Oddometer: 320
Nice bike.......Looking forward to the report.....

manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIW View Post
you didn't mention but have you done any LD riding in the past?
FWIW,
I've never attempted a ride of this length - 12-14,000 miles before but I have done some pretty long days.

I did a SS1000 in 2008 when I rode from Tampa area to Marysville, OH in 19 hrs and 17 hrs on the return trip 2 days later - BUT that was on a Gold Wing - a little more comfy bike!

I've only done a 500 mile or so day on the Vstrom, but it WAS after an 8 hr day at work so I'm thinking/hoping I'll do okay. I've got hwy pegs on the strom and can use the passenger pegs like a sport bike so I can move around a bit.

I also have a Zumo 665 for MP3's and XM radio as well as iPhone connected to it too - so if I'm bored I can "phone a friend"

I'm psyched and cannot wait to get started..

The only "glitch" so far is I've started to get a cough and some tightness in my chest -- TALK ABOUT BAD TIMING!!! So I started on some Mucinex and hot-tea and other fluids 'cuz if I cancel this trip it's gonna be YEARS till I have time/money lined up to do it later on!!

Well it's off to bed 'cuz I still have that WORK stuff to contend with for 2 more days...and I'm a day behind now 'cuz I felt like crap and didn't get tools and clothes packed tonite like I was supposed to

Dave
Old 06-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #11
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,305
Good luck and have fun. Iron butt runs are pretty cool but don't give you much time to smell the roses.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
goldenrev
New Dream

Oddometer: 380
You will be betre then OK!

Quote:
FWIW,
I've never attempted a ride of this length - 12-14,000 miles before but I have done some pretty long days.

I did a SS1000 in 2008 when I rode from Tampa area to Marysville, OH in 19 hrs and 17 hrs on the return trip 2 days later - BUT that was on a Gold Wing - a little more comfy bike!

I've only done a 500 mile or so day on the Vstrom, but it WAS after an 8 hr day at work so I'm thinking/hoping I'll do okay. I've got hwy pegs on the strom and can use the passenger pegs like a sport bike so I can move around a bit.

I also have a Zumo 665 for MP3's and XM radio as well as iPhone connected to it too - so if I'm bored I can "phone a friend"

I'm psyched and cannot wait to get started..

The only "glitch" so far is I've started to get a cough and some tightness in my chest -- TALK ABOUT BAD TIMING!!! So I started on some Mucinex and hot-tea and other fluids 'cuz if I cancel this trip it's gonna be YEARS till I have time/money lined up to do it later on!!

Well it's off to bed 'cuz I still have that WORK stuff to contend with for 2 more days...and I'm a day behind now 'cuz I felt like crap and didn't get tools and clothes packed tonite like I was supposed to

Dave
Sounds like a little pre-trip jitters... you will be better then fine
Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Thanks Dan,
If all goes well I will be making a stop in San Diego as well - I plan to ride the entire west coast from the Olympic Peninsula of Washington down your way!!

I'm hoping to get an appt with Wayne Boyer at Motoport to see their place (and maybe adjust the fit of my gear) while I'm there...

Dave
I will PM you with contact info, but we'd love to host you while you're in SD. I lived on Davis Island while in Tampa, and the lil lady is a lifelong Tampa resident. Well, untill I brought her here. Be safe, Dave.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
HighRiver
taking the checkered

Oddometer: 71
Giddiup!
Motomarathon, CO. 2010 ASMA #309
IBA#34978~ SS1000~ 10.11.08
B2B Insanity~ BB1500~ 10.17.10
Alaska Blog-http://3umphak.wordpress.com/
HighRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
atrisk5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Hope to see you on the road. I am leaving 6 am tomorrow the 2nd from Houston to AC. I will be the guy on a cruzer with the ADV sticker on the windshield. Daniel....Let's ride