Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #31
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Been down twice on the street in the rain and drunk, not hurt except a little road rash that did not stop me from working, etc.
Both times on Triumphs.
Clearly, you should stop riding Triumphs.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #32
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
At least when I am drunk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Clearly, you should stop riding Triumphs.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #33
mr7q
Stupid and Contagious

Oddometer: 312
Took a slide off of a road bike at 30 mph. It was no joke, and ground most of the skin off of my right side and replaced it with asphalt. 20+ mph off of a mountain bike took a 3/8 of an inch of skin and meat out of a silver dollar sized patch of my left forearm. Additionally, the average bicyclist isn't going 30 mph. I'd estimate more like 10-15 mph sustained. 20+ mph only if they're in shape and pushing.

No real point to this other than to point out that asphalt hurts, no matter the speed, but ultimately, wear what you want.
mr7q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #34
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
its your body and your skin so if you dont gear up and go down and get bad road rash thats life
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:41 PM   #35
greybeard rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I try and ride with a helmet,gloves and boots.
looking for a lite weight leather jacket for summer and when I can afford them a pair of dragg'n jeans kevlar reinforced. Lots of my friends recommend full gear all the time ,but these fellas ride alot harder than I ever will.
greybeard rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #36
Laconic
Añejo

Oddometer: 16,055
My wife rides a scooter, and I am fairly insitent that she is ATGATT. I have been forcing myself to do the same, even when it's hot as Hades.

She wasn't really convinced of the need until the other day when she stepped on a rock the wrong way and fell while we were walking. Skinned her knee up pretty good, right through the sweats she had on.

I pointed out to her that she was barely moving compared to what she would be doing on her bike...

She's not complaining about her gear as much now.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #37
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
I think the risk of road rash in falling off at local street speed is small (see note below). Small enough that it may be acceptable to ride around with minimal gear. The people who get seriously injured at local street speeds have impact injuries or head injuries, not road rash.

Comparing it to a bicycle though, bicycles may hit 30mph at some point, but they are a lot slower overall. A motorcycle spends all it's time at 30mph on local streets. It is still higher risk than a bicycle.

(note): I used to live in Vietnam; I've seen plenty of people on scooters in shorts and flip-flops fall off at slow speeds.

Easter Mekong Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329194

Streets of Vietnam
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335816

Current bike: 2008 Honda CBF-600
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,950
Y'all just made me check to see if I am still carrying around the nasty looking road rash scar on my arm from 1975. Yep, still there. So is the one on my knee. Not so gruesome looking after 35 years, but still there and still ugly enough to remind me how bad it hurt to leave all that skin and meat behind. Losing several toe nails wasn't very pleasant either. But that didn't leave any scars.

I got them from a 30 mph bicycle crash wearing shorts and a tee shirt. YRMV

I am nobody's safety Nazi. I could care less what people wear. I'm just sayin' that 30 mph face down on the highway really, really hurt despite the relatively low speed and I have the scars to prove it. Riding a bicycle on the highway still gives me the willies to this day because of that crash. So the whole bicycle analogy thing doesn't work well for me.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 02:23 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #39
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Given I'm sitting on the sofa barefoot, in cargo shorts and T-shirt, I can get into:

Almost without breaking stride as I push the bike out of the garage.

You wear boots WITHOUT socks?
Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #40
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by farqhuar View Post
You wear boots WITHOUT socks?
Like, d00d. I'm just (hypothetically) goin' to the store for a sixer, right?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #41
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,950
That is exactly what I was doing when I got rear ended by a drunk woman.

Of course I was also wearing jeans and a tee shirt at the time. No fears of road rash from sliding across a Camry hood though.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #42
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt8q5 View Post
So maybe a didn't phase my question correctly. I guess I was really just trying to figure out why shorts/tshirt/sandals/jimmy buffett look is fine on a scooter but a no-no on a motorcycle? Assuming speed is similar am I more at risk dropping a motorcycle (i.e. leg injuries?) than a scooter?
Its just as stupid on a scoot as it is on a motorcycle to ride in flip flops and shorts.

And it is for quite the same reason many feel safer in their cage than on a plane, although the probability of dying in a car are much greater than on a commercial flight; Because many people are shortsighted, and even more are just plain dumb.

I hope to pick up a scooter sometime soon. And when I do I'll be wearing no less than I do on my motorcycle.
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #43
Fire44
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
We rented two scooter at the beach last year and spent 3 hours riding without any problems. My wife decided that she wanted a scooter to ride at home. I picked up a 50cc two stroke Buddy scooter and brought it home. Went for a short ride and about 1 mile from the house she was making a right turn at about 5 mph. Lost her balance and dropped the scooter on its right side. Dislocated ankle, shattered elbow, and a broken leg. 4 months out of work, 2 of them in a wheelchair. She wanted to go out that day in shorts and no helmet. I forced her to were jeans, a jacket, and the helmet. I don't think that what she was wearing made any large difference in how she was injured, but it didn't hurt.

I ride just about everyday. Surface streets and highway. The past week we have been in the mid 90's and I have ridden in just boots and helmet.

We are all adults, I take my chances and will except what happens.

Now, anyone looking for a 50 cc two stoke scooter with only 40 miles on it????

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #44
gplutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
There was an accident across the street from my house about a month ago. I was sitting in my living room (probably surfing advrider....)and I heard a "thump". I looked out the window and saw a bike lying in the road.

I uttered a couple expletives as I ran out the door (yelling for my girlfriend to call 911).

A car had done what cars do; left turn across the lane in front of two guys on a bike.

When I got out there they were both (thank whatever deity you answer too) okay, walking around. I made the rider sit down and relax till the ambulance got there.

One of them was wearing a full face helmet, no gloves (he forgot to put them on), a pair of thin khaki pants, a windbreaker, and tennis shoes. The other guy was wearing similar gear, except the helmet. He had on a half helmet instead of a full face.

Ambulance got there checked them out and asked if they wanted a ride to the hospital..they declined.

One guy had sustained minimal road rash on his knee (we bandaided it), it didn't even wear through the fabric, the other guy was totally fine. You could see where they hit the road on their clothes, otherwise there was basically no damage to them.

I say they got lucky; I wear all my gear most of the time, and most of it all the time. I don't think it will protect you from everything, or even most things, but its better than nothing and I don't want to depend on luck.
gplutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #45
La Machine
2>4

Oddometer: 59
I used to go ATGATT on the Vespa, but in hindsight, for slower local trips it was probably overkill. Flipflops would be just plain dumb, as you still need to hold the scoot up predictably at lights, but sneakers would've done the trick just as well as boots. There's a quantifiable difference between holding up a 450 lb. G650 and a 250 lb. Vespa.

If I were the original poster, I'd still wear the boots at least, but for local trips, ditch the armored gear. Yeah, road rash will suck if you hit the deck, but it's not the end of the world. And if you do get into a tussle with a car, the injuries you're worried about aren't really preventable by CE armor anyway. As much as I ride ATGATT today, it's because when I ride I'm always hitting 50mph+ for at least some of my route. If ATGATT is taken to it's logical extreme, we should be debating whether walking out of your house w/o armor and a full-face is safe, rather than trying to figure out what makes a scooter different than a motorcycle. Figure out how fast you'll be going, and figure out what your personal line is between ATGATT and ATGSomeofTT.
La Machine is offline   Reply With Quote