Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I got some Fieldsheer kevlar lined jeans and I was worried that they would be too hot, but they were fine in Palm Springs traffic at 90'F.

Just make sure you get them a little large and baggy.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
samadams0824 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Further internet research led me to this conclusion:

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...g/carhartt.php

This evening I purchased a pair of black double front Carhartts.

I cannibalized an old Joe Rocket jacket that I had hanging in the closet for the elbow armor, ( I have knobbly knees).

With some massaging (read, exacto-knifing). the openings at the bottom of the double front were enlarged to fit the elbow armor. After stuffing the armor up inside and making sure it wasnt twisted or folded, I stitched the opening closed to its former width so the armor couldn't fall out.

I consider these to be a happy medium between ATGATT and NOTGATT and will use them mostly for commuting and town work as I feel the Joe Rocket pants are still superior in terms of abrasion resistance.

I will report back on their usefulness soon.
samadams0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
basically they are advocating evaporation, which is pretty much the only way to cool yourself once the air temperature is higher than your skin temperature (roughly 93 degrees, not 98).

See this following article from the Ironbutt Magazine: http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/I..._62-66_Hot.pdf

Depending on your jacket, you'll probably need a vent or two open to get the evaporative effect, regardless of what the LDComfort people say.
Hey, ph0rk, thanks for posting that link. That made for some interesting reading, and now it makes sense to me why I usually felt like I was cooler underway with a crudely vented patrol jacket than with my mesh jacket.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #19
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
I just wear all of the gear and not think about the heat.

After a few wrecks I won't even think about getting on the bike without full gear. Last week it was in the low 90's and I rolled up to a non-rider friend. He typically asked me how I can stand to be in all that gear? Simple reply, it's better than the alternative. And if you haven't experienced the alternative I can post up a few photos for you all.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 AM   #20
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Something like this might help...
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-evap-o-dana.html

Never tried it myself but been considering it.

I regular bandanna soaked in water would probably work as well. I like this one because it holds ice.
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #21
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreMrNiceGuy View Post
Hey, ph0rk, thanks for posting that link. That made for some interesting reading, and now it makes sense to me why I usually felt like I was cooler underway with a crudely vented patrol jacket than with my mesh jacket.
Yeah, for the most part I think mesh only makes sense from around 80-95, and then only for short sprints at 95. In some places, like the middle of NC, that means mesh works for a substantial part of the year. In other places mesh might be a waste.

If your mesh jacket has chest pockets (like most of olympias do), try filling them with ice at stops - works much like soaking your shirt.

I have an evap-o-dana, it seemed generally helpful at 95, or 95 on blacktop (so probably 100 or more), but I think it would really shine in higher temps, as any time I hit a pocket of cooler air the evapodana felt like it was blocking it.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
taosgsr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Im with PhOrk on this one

when its 95+ i have under armor loose fitting tee shirts. I drench them with water for evaporative cooling and keep my sleeve vents open. I rode into Las Vegas last year it was 100 as a rolled in but the cooling worked. You have to keep the jacket venting cut down or the shirt will dry out too quickly and you'll be looking for another gas station with a clean bathroom sink.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #23
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
A vented (NOT MESH) jacket with a long sleeve polypropylene shirt soaked in water for temps over 90. About an hour of comfort until a re-soak is needed.

Temps 70-90 a mesh jacket works well.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #24
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadams0824 View Post
Well i'm going to pick up some EVS motocross knee armor and run them under some double front carhartts and see if things improve much.

Half the issue with the overpant in terms of heat is it is OVER another layer...

I rode last summer with double front carhartts and Thor MX knee/shin guards. Worked great for me.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #25
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
Thumb Motoport Kevlar Mesh - almost air-conditioned

Using a Roadcrafter suit for two decades, in Texas, taught me the value of ventilation and evaporative cooling. I would soak that thing with water at every stop during peak temps to help keep cool.

Finally sold that suit after it "shrunk" on me. (if ya know what I mean, and I think you do . . .)

After much research, looking for something that would work year-round for commuting (wearing office clothes underneath), long distance touring, and adventure touring, I selected the Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket and pants.

They have armor in more places than most, are several times tougher than leather for both abrasion and seam strength, they breathe extremely well and despite my suit being black the material does not absorb heat.

The matching waterproof liner does double duty to make the suit work in cold and wet weather.

This is probably the last suit I'll ever need to buy, unless I just wanted one of their Stretch Kevlar suits (the only non-leather suit ever approved for road racing).

The Kevlar weave (Mesh and Stretch vesions) doesn't melt when sliding along the pavement the way most other manufacturer's materials can. Aerostitch cautions wearers to cover the skin with a natural fiber layer because of this melting issue. I'm sure that many others don't even go that far to warn the customer of this potential problem.

For hot weather I have found nothing better than wearing this flow-through suit and very little underneath.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
samadams0824 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by red450 View Post
I rode last summer with double front carhartts and Thor MX knee/shin guards. Worked great for me.
well the elbow armor stitched into the double front didn't work. The armor rode up and didn't sit where it was supposed to.

I bought some EVS Option shinguards (about $20) pair
http://www.evs-sports.com/product/kn...eshin-guard-2/

They fit great and you forget you're wearing them very quickly.

Took the bike for a 40 min ride around town in traffic to get the bike good and hot. With the knee pads under Carhartts and my mesh jacket, the heat off the motor/rad was noticable but not uncomfortable. I even got a little chilled down by the water, but it wasn't exceptionally hot today either.

I think I've found my solution for my lower half. My armored shorts are on back order so I'll probly stick to the kevlar until they come in.
samadams0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #27
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
For hot weather I have found nothing better than wearing this flow-through suit and very little underneath.
In temperatures over 95 full mesh will make you hotter, whether or not it costs as much as a cheap used car.

If you want something like jeans with armor, I'd try hoodjeans - they have velcro to stick armor between the denim and kevlar layers (so you can remove it at your destination), and have some of the best kevlar coverage of any kevlar jean. http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #28
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
In temperatures over 95 full mesh will make you hotter, whether or not it costs as much as a cheap used car.

If you want something like jeans with armor, I'd try hoodjeans - they have velcro to stick armor between the denim and kevlar layers (so you can remove it at your destination), and have some of the best kevlar coverage of any kevlar jean. http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #29
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
I wear Bohn Armor's Adventure Pants under my jeans year-round. Those double-front Carhartt's look pretty interesting though. I had a First Gear mesh jacket, but my dad stole it. I've also got an NForza, but it's getting too hot for it now. What I really want to get is an Olympia Airglide 3 jacket, but that will have to wait until I sell some more Breezy Brigade gear.

Speaking of which, I'll have a new long-sleeve t-shirt in July made specifically for keeping riders cool. My buddy over in Japan is working on it now.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #30
spibbie
ninja 250 noob

Oddometer: 85
I wear scorpion cool rod mesh jacket (last years model) and scorpion duece pants (mesh). Held air gloves. Icon field armor boots. Some cheap full face helmet.

I avoid traffic in the summer. Above 95 or so, I am hot no matter what my speed, and peeling off that mesh gear does not help. I actually got chap from flapping shirt in the wind without the mesh jacket last summer. So I just wear the mesh, always.

Make sure you drink enough water so that you can piss, and it is not dark yellow piss.
spibbie is offline   Reply With Quote