Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #136
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Looking good OLH! Last year about this time I was in the same spot and could barely sleep!

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #137
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,647
After today I need to get away, had two jobs from hell which one is a lady who thinks ( maybe rightly so) that her husband is cheating on her, he's stationed in Afghanistan and has to tell me ALL ABOUT it, and then bringing religion into it too.......other job too many chiefs and not enough Indians, no one can do a damned thing right...except me fixing their crap. I'll make money on this one!! Didn't quote the job, at least that way I don't loose my ass!! Lost my ass on the woman's job, well made a little money but not what i thought. The complete year has been like this. I'm so sick of being a subcontractor, just not worth it!!!

Still have to deal w/ her one more time on a kitchen counter and back splash, and the other bath should (?) wrap up next week. All this is gonna drive me back to drinking!!!

Had to complain......
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #138
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Ur bike looks awesome. Great fun reading this thread. I was able to do the entire TAT back in Sept of '06 (and Oregon section in '08). Took 28 days & 2 of us did most all of the technical stuff. I did it on a DRZ 400s as well. Great bike for the TAT. In my humble opinion ur are right on track with ur overall approach of doing the TAT solo. Good luck and I'm really looking forward to a RR.
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #139
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

My concern is also being solo if something happens, mainly to me not having someone to help. As I'm a novice rider, so there is concern about the technical sections of the trail, i.e. sand, rocky accents and decent, and mud too.

I plan to be cautious but I do have moments of stupidity, like we all do.

I must admit solo has more advantageous, my time table, pace, stop and camp when and where I want (stealth camping), resupplying food, and oil changes all when I want. When traveling w/ others everyone will want to do things at different times.

Packing up food for three days is something I haven't had to do before, so this will be new to me.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #140
Steez
USMC Infantry

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor 1 View Post
Took 28 days

Just curious-how many of these days were spent riding and how many were off days?

I haven't decided on my pace yet, but right now I'm thinking of riding every day and just stopping with some daylight left to do maintenance. I'll be solo too
Old 06-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #141
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Mounted the TCK 80 to the front. Got the rear one off, but the rim lock had a small nick in it and I'm afraid it might create some problems, so it needs to be replaced.

I tried the small bike frame pump on the front tire and it works just fine, so the electric tire pump can go. This will save a lot of weight and space. This is the little pump mounted on the rear rack.

Here's a shot of the tools to be carried-

1) gloves,2) tire levers and axle nut tool,3) tire pump, 4) rope, 5) front wheel bearings, 6) oil filter and o-rings, 7) nuts/bolts/fuses, 8) two chain links, 9) spoke wrench & front axle nut tool, 10) patch kit, 11) wire ties, 12) electrical tape,

13) tool roll, misc, allen wrenches, combination wrenches, sockets, pliers, air gauge, test light, crescent wrench, screw driver bits, carb jets

14) Sven 15" saw and sheath, 15) wire, 16) 1/4" T wrench w/ bailing wire wraped, 17) chain tool, 18) hammer and epoxy, 19) jumper cables, 20) throttle and clutch cable, 21) coil, 22) front brake pads, 23) spark plug, 14T counter shaft sprocket, 24) 30mm counter shaft socket, and extension/adapters, 25) foot levers

Not pictured are the front and rear inner tubes, small cans of chain lube and air filter oil, and 1st aid kit, chain link press.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 09:59 AM
Old 06-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #142
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
"Snap-on-Tools" on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Mounted the TCK 80 to the front. Got the rear one off, but the rim lock had a small nick in it and I'm affraid it might create some problems, so it needs to be replaced.

I tried the small bike frame pump on the front tire and it works just fine, so the electric tire pump can go. This will save a lot of weight and space. This is the little pump mounted on the rear rack.

1) gloves,2) tire levers and axle nut tool,3) tire pump, 4) rope, 5) front wheel bearings, 6) oil filter and o-rings, 7) nuts/bolts/fuses, 8) chain links, 9) spoke wrench & front axle nut tool, 10) patch kit, 11) wire ties, 12) electrical tape,

13) tool roll, misc, allen wrenches, combination wrenches, sockets, pliers, air gauge, test light, crescent wrench, screw driver bits, carb jets

14) Sven 15" saw and sheath, 15) wire, 16) 1/4" T wrench, 17) chain tool, 18) hammer and epoxy, 19) jumper cables, 20) throttle and clutch cable, 21) coil, 22) front brake pads, 23) spark plug, 14T counter shaft sprocket, 24) 30mm counter shaft socket, and extension/adapters, 25) foot levers

Not pictured are the front and rear inner tubes, small cans of chain lube and air filter oil, and 1st aid kit
Wow...you come prepared. I am impressed. When need arises I hope to run into you.
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #143
toolhorder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Mine looks sparse in comparison......glad you're behind me!

I'm packed and ready to go.....except....

Time is starting to get short. My confidence in Topo 9 and all the work I've put into mapping is in question as I have YET to get anything to work on the PN-60 despite my best efforts. Still plugging away........and looking at rollchart holders in case I just bail on the whole GPS idea altogether.
toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #144
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Toolhorder- where's your tent and sleeping pad??? So that's ALL packed up ready to go???

Food, and water bladder will take up some more space and weight.

I think I've got mine down to the wolfman saddle bags and a medium size rear duffel, plus the small rollie tank bag for camera and wallet.

You switching out tires before you hit the trail???? Or just putting them on in CO??

If the maps give you too much trouble then maybe I'll catch up to you...LOL.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #145
toolhorder
Gnarly Adventurer

Without doing a complete breakdown, yep....that's everything except for the rider. 5 days of food, 4 liters of water, tent, bag, pad, pillow, clothes, tools, parts, laptop, coffee, inverter for charging.....it's all there and there's room to spare. There's a small cooler on top of the top case that you can't see. It'll live on the seat behind me when I lose the tires.

I'm hightailing it south to West Helena Arkansas from Galena, Illinois with the tires stapped down. From there I'll either change out for the knobbies or just head West and switch them out when my Kendas don't perform anymore.

I intended to start my own thread on trip prep, but I've been pre-occupied. Hi-jack over.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #146
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolhorder View Post
...My confidence in Topo 9 and all the work I've put into mapping is in question as I have YET to get anything to work on the PN-60 despite my best efforts. Still plugging away........and looking at rollchart holders in case I just bail on the whole GPS idea altogether.
Have you tried asking the guys and gals who hang out over here:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.p...31291f09058644

or the shorter version:

http://goo.gl/2aCvK

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #147
toolhorder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Have you tried asking the guys and gals who hang out over here:

http://forum.delorme.com/viewforum.p...31291f09058644

or the shorter version:

http://goo.gl/2aCvK
Thanks AugustFalcon.
My posting was just approved by a moderator earlier this afternoon. Waiting to see if there's anyone there willing to shed some light into my pit of woe. I've also got a few well placed PM's floating out there. In the meantime I'm working on my own trip prep posting so....

HIJACK OFF....sorry OLH.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #148
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
... I tried the small bike frame pump on the front tire and it works just fine, so the electric tire pump can go. This will save a lot of weight and space. This is the little pump mounted on the rear rack....

...SNIP...
22) front brake pads,...
Nicely thought out tool kit. Only thing I'd add would be a set of rear pads - that's what wears most on my bike.

I took a little manual pump like your with me... takes a while to inflate a rear but it gets the job done -- had 2 rear flats before I finally changed the tube.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #149
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
good idea
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #150
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

my rear pads are close to new, so I'm thinking(??) they'll be fine, the front pads are 3/4 gone.

I figured the only there were only two advantageous to the electric pump, it would pump up quicker, and surely drain the little DRZ battery down very fast. The little bike pump is adequate.