User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
A nice day for a ride in the North Georgia Mountains

We've been having a heat wave here in the Southeast so I wasn't real motivated to go for a ride. I woke up early and decided to go anyway, I'm glad I did. I also wasn't planning on doing a ride report but I met some other inmates and took some pics so here goes.

I got on the road at 7:30 when it was still cool and had a pleasant ride to Dahlonega where I stopped at Riders Hill to pick up some keys I had ordered. They were real busy so I decided to go for a ride and come back later. I took 60 to Suches and then another 5 miles north to ride some of my favorite twisties. Then I turned around.

60 is a great road. Here's a couple of pics:

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I stopped at the gas station in Suches. There was a group of motorcycle riders so I went over to talk to them. One of them said "I know you. You're on Adventure Rider." It's nice to be famous

It was Mikem9. We had "met" on the forum but not in real life. They were planning on riding 180 then 129 over Blood Mountain so I decided to tag along. Here's some pics of the ride:

180 approaching Lake Winfield Scott.

This is one of the most dangerous curves on 180. It's along way down if you run wide.

A fun hairpin.

180 has some great curves.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 07:52 AM
Old 06-06-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then we headed up Blood Mountain. I pretty much had to keep the throttle pinned to keep up.

We took a break at the store at the top of Blood mountain.

A dog with saddlebags?

As we were getting ready to head down the Mountain, so were these guys.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

We headed down the mountain before the go carts took off. We had a few minutes of good riding before catching up to a line of slow moving traffic. We pulled over rather than putt around all those great curves. A few minutes later, along came the go carts.

These guys were moving along pretty fast.

The sensation of speed, being so close to the ground must be pretty impressive.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then we continued down the mountain.

We stopped at the bottom.

many of the pics I took while riding where of this Versys. I didn't get the riders name but this is his first street bike (he's been riding dual sports) and he just got it a week ago. Nice bike and a great choice for riding these twisty mountain roads.

After that we split up. Nice meeting everyone even if I didn't get most of your names.

I headed back to Riders Hill to get some Lunch. I did notice that Turners Corner restaurant was open. It goes out of business and re-opens on a regular basis. It's at a great location.

I've had some great meals sitting out on that patio just above the river.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 02:03 PM
Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The ride back to Riders Hill was pretty slow due to heavy traffic. I had a good lunch there and hung out and talked to many people who I knew. Riders Hill has become the place to hang out for many TWO regulars.

Here's a friends new Buell:

I talked to an ADVr on a R1200GS. I got his name and promptly forgot it. I have a bad case of CRS

Then it was time to Brave the heat and head home.

If I was on my KLR I would have found a way to ride dirt at least part of the way. I skipped the dirt since I was on the scooter. That doesn't mean I had to stick to the main roads.

I prefer getting away from all the traffic.

And who needs 2 lanes anyway?

I took a break at the Amicalola River.

It was pretty hot, the water looked inviting.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Nice report and pics. 60, 180 and 129 are three of my all time favorite roads.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

A little North of Canton a GS and Ducati passed me. It was the guys I met at Riders Hill. So I followed for Awhile and snapped a pic.

Then I got on I-575 for a bit. Small Scooters are not the ideal thing for riding on the interstate but I figured what the heck, I'll just stay in the slow lane

It turned out to be a good day for a short 247 mile ride. I'm glad I went

klaviator screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 02:40 PM
Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #10
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
So, let me see if I have this straight. You were chasing a Versys, 1200 Bandit, KTM 990 Superduke, and an FZ1 through the mountains, snapping pics while riding your scooter! You must be crazy. Ha!

Good to meet you Klaviator! -and riding with you. Have enjoyed reading your ride reports in the past. Great report here - really captures some of the good roads up there. You've also given my buddy some pics of his first group ride on the street - thanks.

PS - watching those guys on the gravity go-karts was a trip! Those things were flying. and I went back and looked at that I-575 interstate pic again - 90 mph on a scooter, while taking a photo!

Mikem9

mikem9 screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 03:40 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
thanks for the thread, ride report, and great pictures
i love this area of the country... it's close enough to where i live for me to enjoy on a "regular" basis. it really has some wonderful roads
thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Nice report and pics. 60, 180 and 129 are three of my all time favorite roads.
They sure are great roads. You need to ride them on your Agility 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
So, let me see if I have this straight. You were chasing a Versys, 1200 Bandit, KTM 990 Superduke, and an FZ1 through the mountains, snapping pics while riding your scooter! You must be crazy. Ha!

Good to meet you Klaviator! -and riding with you. Have enjoyed reading your ride reports in the past. Great report here - really captures some of the good roads up there. You've also given my buddy some pics of his first group ride on the street - thanks.

PS - watching those guys on the gravity go-karts was a trip! Those things were flying. and I went back and looked at that I-575 interstate pic again - 90 mph on a scooter, while taking a photo!

Mikem9
Of course I'm crazy. That's why I'm an inmate of this asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
thanks for the thread, ride report, and great pictures
i love this area of the country... it's close enough to where i live for me to enjoy on a "regular" basis. it really has some wonderful roads
thanks for sharing
I found these roads over 20 years ago when I lived in Florida. They are the main reason I moved here.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #13
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I got a PM asking how I took pics while riding. I've been asked that before so I'll post it here in case anyone else is wondering.

About a year ago I got tired of always having to stop and pull out my camera to get a pic. Also, it's hard to really show what the ride is like if you only take pics while stopped. So, I decided to start hanging my camera around my neck with a strap and take pics with my left hand. This way, if I need to, I can just drop the camera if needed.

I use an old Casio EX-Z400 digital camera. I will probably upgrade some time but it takes pretty good pictures.

I'm no expert photographer so I make up for lack of talent by snapping lots of pics. Usuelly some of them turn out OK and I can just delete the rest. I don't try to look at the camera to aim it. I just guess. I prefer to keep my eyes on the road. It's not too hard to do with a little practice. I think even a caveman could do it

Here's a recent pic showing the camera hanging from my neck:

This pic was taken at Deals Gap by US129 photographers

For anyone interested, the link for that ride report is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693143

klaviator screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 07:13 AM
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
raiden
curious travelor

Oddometer: 24
HHAAA Your rock! 2 up on a scoot in the hills is kool. I'm a little big for a scoot but I'd do it for the fun of it. No on ein the riding world cares what you ride. Ride what you brung! Love the RR...
raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #15
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,195
Klaviator: If you don't mind, tell us more about your interest/enjoyment of scooters. I know you are a long time motorcyclist and a very good rider, so it would be interesting to hear your opinions.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote