Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #121
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
I've had the '05 naked fse 450 for 2 yrs now and love it. Drooled over the Desert pics when I saw them a while ago, but with that fairing I'd certainly be overdressed for the North Cascades, so I turned my drool destination to the naked EC 450, which wasn't avaiable stateside either.

Well, actually, there are about 6 or 10 in the country from before the new distributor took over. This one has been sitting in a warehouse since last July and is now on it's way to my house.

The 450 size works well for me: small enough to single track all day with the 300's and big enough to roar the fire service roads thru the mountains with the 650's.

I'm giddy like a school girl and had to tell someone, so you guys are it.

Cheers.
T.Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #122
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Those bikes are nice! please post pics of your assembly and all..
97 GG 250ec-for sale,, just email me if interested
Fleetwood neon for sale
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #123
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
Those bikes are nice! please post pics of your assembly and all..

Well, since you twisted my arm...

Mark Woodlief found a rare import; a 2010 Gas Gas EC 450, I think they may be 6 of them in the U.S. We've both been lusting after this model and after deciding to pass on it, Mark was kind enough to let me know of the bike's existence; a leftover that's been sitting in it's crate in the warehouse since July 2010.

Two emails and one phone call and the bike deliverred to Forward Air in Kent, Wa.

I took the crated Gas Gas to my brother in law's house for assembly (Husaberg J). He has more better wrenches than I do.

There wasn't nearly as much to assembly as I figured there would be; mount handebars, front fender, blinkers, front wheel, foot pegs, and a few other things, not too much really. Oh, and the plastic faux skidplate wich I desparately need to replace.

First I took the Scotts steering dampener off my '05 Gas Gas 450 to install on the new bike.

The frame at the headset is smaller on the new '10 than the '05 of mine, so I had to do some cutting and J had to do some welding on the steering dampener collar to get it to make contact.

I hope you guys didn't look directly at the welding.

Some of his more better tools.

Sweet. Fits perfect.

T.Low screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 12:48 AM
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #124
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

With the steering dampener installed, the handle bars could be mounted.

Strap the bike to the lift and hoist up the front end to install the front wheel.

Install blinkers, fender and foot pegs and lthen inspect the bike for some sort of throttle block because the throttle is only twisting about 1/4 of the way open.

Aha. The throttle body is formed in such a way that it creates a throttle block (limiter) for whatever reason (EPA?, European regs?)

Took a Sharpie and marked out what needs to come off to obtain full range of motion.

Zing.

Sweet.

Crossed fingers, charged and installed the battery that has been sitting around for a year. Shouldn't be a problem holding a charge, but you never know until you hit the button.

Fresh fuel and oil and it started right up!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #125
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

I installed my rear tire of choice right away: a Pirelli MT 43 trials tire. My main riding area is nothing but rocks and roots and usually wet, and NOTHING grips like a trials tire out there.

After break in rides around the neighborhood, Bellingham Dual Sport Riders offerred the perfect break-in day for the Gas Gas with one of their BBQ rides. Brad lives right at the base of Sumas Mt and the dude loves to cook. We stage right from his house. A qtr mile up his road is the gate with a bike bypass lane and off we go on the fs roads and two trackers. Then we ride back ( some much later than others ) for a BBQ.

You certainly don't need full throttle to loft the front end so wheelies are A.O.K. for break in periods.

The bike actually has a low fuel warning light on the handle bars. I know it works because after 41 miles it came on.

The 2010 is definitely more flickable than the '05. Sleeker. It's tight and nice. I ride mostly single track so thats what I was after. But I do like to get out on rides like this also, so the 450 is a perfect bike for me. Tomorrow I'll change the oil, check EVERYTHING, play around with the suspension settings, rotate the handle bars forward even more, wax the bike, spray some Pam on the engine. I got the flywheel kit with the bike and am definitely oing to install it. Also need to change the gearing, the stock sprocket is a little tall.

Thanks for your interest, it's fun posting this stuff for someone that wants to see it. Cheers.

T.Low screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 08:33 AM
Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 AM   #126
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Nice write up!! I can't wait to try one of the new GG fourstrokers out. Next season I'd like to have one of them instead of my pumpkin.
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #127
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
i have a hyde skid plate brand new you can have.. i bought it thinking i needed it, gave it to a buddy to try on is 10 250 gasser, doesnt fit, i'm going to see him this week and i'll pick it up for you, awesome skid plate that protects the pipe as well..
Old 06-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #128
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Since your buddy there in the pic is on a rfs have you rode them back to back for a comparison? I have had older gg250 smokers ranging from my 97 to 03 and have rode a 07 also. Would love to hear how is compares to the rfs. I have a 04 450 rfs decked out now but would love to get back on the gas. I'm resurecting my 97 gg 250 ec as it was the best rock bike I've ever had. I was faster on my 03 gg in the trails but rock gardens belonged to the 97. I'd love to get a new gg 4 striker and 2 stroker to fill the garage up.
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #129
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice write up!! I can't wait to try one of the new GG fourstrokers out. Next season I'd like to have one of them instead of my pumpkin.
good luck finding one.. they stopped making the big four strokes as of 2010.. TLow got the last one we know about. They apparently are still producing the 250 version with the Yamaha motor, but not sure on that.. Gasser regrouped and went back to what they know.. all 2t bikes.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #130
T.Low
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Since your buddy there in the pic is on a rfs have you rode them back to back for a comparison? I have had older gg250 smokers ranging from my 97 to 03 and have rode a 07 also. Would love to hear how is compares to the rfs. I have a 04 450 rfs decked out now but would love to get back on the gas. I'm resurecting my 97 gg 250 ec as it was the best rock bike I've ever had. I was faster on my 03 gg in the trails but rock gardens belonged to the 97. I'd love to get a new gg 4 striker and 2 stroker to fill the garage up.

I haven't. I literally just picked up the crated Gasser last Tuesday nite 6pm, and he's a friend I wish I could ride with more often but we have these lives that try to get in the way of our riding schedule, so...and he is going to be out of town soon for a few weeks, so maybe later in the summer we'll do a shootout article.

I really need to spend a day tweaking my suspension, though, it's as stiff as...well, it's really stiff and i'm a beefy guy. But man, even on a break-in ride I can tell it's more compact, less of a slack head angle, more flickable. The gear box needs to wear in a bit (couldn't shift during wheelies ).

I suspect Mark is more informed about GG than I. I thought it was the perogative of the new distributor not to bring in the 450's as he thought the US market was more than saturated with that size bike, and wanted to streamline down to where the meat of GG sales is, bringing in the smaller racing bikes. I thought it was a distribution thing rather than a production thing, but like I said, I suspect Mark's comments to be more accurate.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #131
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

No your right as I have spoken with the distributor through emails. They are currently not bringing the 450/515 into the US. It is still for sale in other markets. The 515 may have been dropped as of lately. The 250 four stroke is here in very limited numbers. I have looked into one of these also. The gg 450 was and still is used in wec and some of the isde type events. I also remember seeing a gasgas in pictures from the last Dakar. But strapping the US based dealers with 4 strokers that are not selling well would do more harm than good in this stage of the gagas resurgence. There are ways to get them,, but it's not easy, fast or cheap,,, yet.
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #132
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No your right as I have spoken with the distributor through emails. They are currently not bringing the 450/515 into the US. It is still for sale in other markets. The 515 may have been dropped as of lately. The 250 four stroke is here in very limited numbers. I have looked into one of these also. The gg 450 was and still is used in wec and some of the isde type events. I also remember seeing a gasgas in pictures from the last Dakar. But strapping the US based dealers with 4 strokers that are not selling well would do more harm than good in this stage of the gagas resurgence. There are ways to get them,, but it's not easy, fast or cheap,,, yet.

dbl check that... as i've got a 99.9% verified source that says gasser dropped all the four strokes (sans 250 ofcourse).. even in the euro market.. of course its all second hand knowledge, and im no Gasser expert, just owned more of them than most people besides the factory ..

link to the spanish factory site.. no 4t's but the 250.. even in spain..

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/es/enduro.html

markwoodlief screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 05:15 PM
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #133
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

Wow! thats new,, they also finally updated the website,, I wonder if the US market not taking any 450's helped make that decision..
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #134
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

B ut the 2011 GG 450ec is listed as available in Australia ?? with the new plastics and graphics..??
Fleetwood neon for sale
Old 06-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #135
Cruiser
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.gasgasaustralia.com.au/bike-range/52
Fleetwood neon for sale