Oddometer: 337
Great race report Well done.......
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #47
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 881
Death yellow...

That is the color of the skin on my elbow and upper thigh. I won't bother to share the pictures since the camera doesn't do it justice and no one wants to look at my hairy legs anyway.

Instead, how about a picture of my family before my daughter's first dance recital a few weeks ago, just because...

pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #48
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Oddometer: 459
Family man or ???

Phil W.
From mild mannered family man, enjoying dance recitals and Chucky Cheese...

To

Class winning Evil Desert Racer, leaving broken and busted competitors in the dust...

I bet the family is proud of dad. Now, back to training!
Wyobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #49
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Well done - your training and racing looks to be coming along extremely well I think you'll do awesome in V2R - I wasn't 1/100000000000th as well prepared, supported, equipped or practiced up and managed 5th overall ironman last year. V2R does have some long smooth sections so gear pretty tall to take advantage of them.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #50
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 394
I advise caution in posting pictures of the wife around my fellow, um, I mean all these perverted hoodlums
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #51
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

pics

He stated that was his family, but not necessarily his wife. That gal has a tatoo and no wedding ring, so she might just be a part of his pit crew...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #52
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Chase

This may start the offical hijacking of an otherwise cool thread.

I just wanted to see what Chase teams are going to look like on race day @ V2R. My wife will be bounding up the highway in our truck, and it would nice to know if other wives are going to be hanging out, and where. We tried to pull as much support as we could, but just cannot get any family to make the cross country trek with us, so it will just be the two of us. Be cool to get involved in some sort of chase caravan or something so they can all look out for one another if they need to. Just an idea.

And Wyobrew, I hope you have already asked for time off for this thing, because you are coming too...
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #53
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

V2r

Did you not read the first post on my attemt to learn how to race???

I am not setting out to ride IM Vegas2Reno, Baja 1000 or Dakar, only learning how to ride better, safer and finish the events I enter.

You, Pilo, Wrk2surf and the other real riders/racers are already seasoned to ride that type of event. I saw the pictures last year of Fano and laughed my ass off because that would be me after 20 miles, not a full race.

As far as pit help and schedule, I would like to come a see it first hand. I don't have to ask for time off, just have to pay the piper afterwards. Maybe I could bring the Sprinter van and hang out in the pits. (Do I have to get a tatoo?)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #54
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

M.A.G - My good friend Brandon is going to chase for the V2R effort. It will likely be in my Jeep GC with a trailer. My wife and kids are likely not going to make the pilgrimage since it is a tough enough effort without having to keep track of the kiddies. I'm happy to try to coordinate however we can. We'll exchange phone numbers and radio frequencies etc.

Wyobrew - For sure a tattoo is a requirement, either neck or knuckles though no profanities please, this is a family event. For the record though, that is my wife of almost 16 years. Married in Vegas at the Chapel of the Bells.

It would be great if you wanted to come down and go along for the ride. You could come to SLC and ride down with us in the Jeep though that might be a little crowded. We can work out a plan if you want to come along. I'm not sure there is a whole lot of 'hanging in the pits' especially chasing a rider. I think the event can be as much a race for the pit teams as it is for the riders.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #55
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Thanks guys.

It's going to be a heck of a trip for us anyway, so I'm looking for ways to make my wife's portion as comfortable as possible, if that's possible. I'm using Baja Pits, and will have her meet me about 3 or 4 times throughout the day at designated pits.

Getting psyched.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #56
Wyobrew
Missed it by that mu

Chapel of the bells

Tried to get my wife to do the Vegas wedding, but no dice (no pun intended)

Tried to skip forward a few weeks against docs orders and rode yesterday on my singletrack at the ranch... not a good idea. August is a long ways however and I think I would enjoy seeing the atmosphere of the race. You guys must be "ironmen" to race that distance in that heat!

Doug
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #57
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Just going to chime in on the "hangin in the pits" sentiment. I talked to my brother recently. He was my crew chief and remembers that they'd have enough time to arrive at the pits, find a place to park, unload various items like the bike stand and the fuel jug, and then start to look for me. Within minutes I would arrive, fuel up (myself and the bike) and head out. They were at each pit for no longer than 15 minutes at the most.

Also, my brother was purposefully driving the speed limit between each pit stop for two reasons. First, the Nevada Highway Patrol knew that VtoR was going on and that support crews were out "racing" from stop to stop. A little exuberant driving is always frowned upon by the NHP, especially between Goldfield and Tonopah and extra-especially on the day of the race. Second, in the Ford diesel we had, it's possible to drive from Vegas to Reno chasing a race effort from pit to pit on one tank of fuel but only if you're taking it easy. He knew that they might not have the time to stop for fuel for the chase truck. This made for minimal dilly-dally for them all day.

Tom
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #58
plumber mike
Soaking up Son shine

Oddometer: 2,703
Super Motivator

Thank you for proving to my wife that it CAN be done on a budget(and raising money for charity to boot) and with a family(...makes the recital on time), and for showing me how much I need to prepare if I really want to give this a shot

I'd be happy to pit for you just for the expierience
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 AM   #59
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobrew View Post
Tried to get my wife to do the Vegas wedding, but no dice (no pun intended)

Tried to skip forward a few weeks against docs orders and rode yesterday on my singletrack at the ranch... not a good idea. August is a long ways however and I think I would enjoy seeing the atmosphere of the race. You guys must be "ironmen" to race that distance in that heat!

Doug

Remind me of that about 200 miles in, would ya?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #60
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Got a little time away on my trip today

It's been a while since a slipped away for a few hours while traveling for work. Yesterday afternoon I made it here...very amazing sight. Running and training in the smog here though is not such a fun activity. I can feel it as I'm panting around the local parks dodging the older generation practicing Tai Chi
Attached Images