ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
ghostryder OP
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Takin July Off

With a little bribery, and a whole lot of begging I managed to get July off. I plan on using it...well most of it to travel around the North East. I will be spending July 4th with family In Pa, and want to visit a friend in Rochester NY, and end it with the BMW Convention in Ohio. So whats the big deal???? Why am I telling you all this....advise of course. This is my first "big " trip on the bike and want the advise from any ADVRiders that would like to lend a hand.
The general plan it to take the Blue Ridge up towards Pa, spent the 4th with family, cut across to NJ and head North from there. I would like to Leave NJ, up through NY, into CT, NH, and then into Maine, cut across Canada drop down into NY and to Rochester. Continue south to the convention and from there home.
I plan on camping as much as possible, but I will be staying in a hotel/motel when needed. I will also be using a GPS for some of the route, but do not belive in "sticking to the plan" all the time. I guess what I am looking for is a little help from any ADVRiders in there respective areas. Great roads, Great places to camp etc. Also if anyone has some time and would like to join me thru any part of the trip....extend an invitation to you FF's.
I am still in the early stages of planning so the 4th and the Convention are the only things that are set in stone. So any help would be great....Thanks
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:25 AM   #2
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,320
I would avoid the I95 corridor at all costs, especially NJ/NYC/CT (the Garden State and NJ TPK suck the big one too, epsecially on a bike). Since you are coming up the BRP and heading to PA, why not stay east, either Endless Mtns or Poconoes, into the Catskills and cut over into NE well north of NYC.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #3
ghostryder OP
made it

I was thinking about that, but I grew up in NJ and want to swing by the armpit of America and say hello to a few friends. Also I have a friend that I will be picking up and riding with for a few days.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,320
If you gotta do it, I would come in from the east and leave the same way back into PA and go around. Also, be careful, you could pick up one of those hypodermic needles laying around and get a flat

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:21 PM   #5
RogueMonkey
compensating hose clamp

Oddometer: 3,509
Wherabouts in PA ?

RogueMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Thumb State routes

You can find lots of nice roads in NH/VT/ME if you follow state routes. Wander around and find sleepy little towns.

When you go through New Hampshire, make sure you ride around Lake Winnipesaukee (esp. routes 153, 113). Then head up to the White Mountains. The Kancamagus Highway, rt. 112, is fantastic. And the little known route 118 in the same area. Hit Evans Notch on 113 on the ME/NH border is pretty cool.

Just ride. You can't go wrong!!

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,219
Hey ghost,

Monday, I'll get some AAA maps and highlight some good roads up there. Been thru there 10 times and know a bunch of them. I'll be home till sat. am. Drop by and I'll hand them over. I'll be up there in sept./oct.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
ghostryder OP
made it

Mungos, I am not sure of the towns name, my father has a cabin on some land about 1/2 hr away from Elk Mtn. The closest intersection I can remember is Rt 365/92.

Beast, thanks for the route sugestions, that is exactly what I was looking for. I will start planning this week, and I will look for some of those roads.

Marty, we will be coming back into town on Monday, and I will give you a call when we are in your part of town.

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRYDER
With a little bribery, and a whole lot of begging I managed to get July off. I plan on using it...well most of it to travel around the North East. ....
Shiny side up!!
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRYDER
With a little bribery, and a whole lot of begging I managed to get July off. I plan on using it...well most of it to travel around the North East. I will be spending July 4th with family In Pa, and want to visit a friend in Rochester NY, and end it with the BMW Convention in Ohio. So whats the big deal???? Why am I telling you all this....advise of course. This is my first "big " trip on the bike and want the advise from any ADVRiders that would like to lend a hand.
The general plan it to take the Blue Ridge up towards Pa, spent the 4th with family, cut across to NJ and head North from there. I would like to Leave NJ, up through NY, into CT, NH, and then into Maine, cut across Canada drop down into NY and to Rochester. Continue south to the convention and from there home.
I plan on camping as much as possible, but I will be staying in a hotel/motel when needed. I will also be using a GPS for some of the route, but do not belive in "sticking to the plan" all the time. I guess what I am looking for is a little help from any ADVRiders in there respective areas. Great roads, Great places to camp etc. Also if anyone has some time and would like to join me thru any part of the trip....extend an invitation to you FF's.
I am still in the early stages of planning so the 4th and the Convention are the only things that are set in stone. So any help would be great....Thanks
If your in NH. I'm. right next to Manchester. I ride when I feel like it. Just work 2 shifts next day or faster. I'd loop up into Canada or where ever.I've got two choises of wheels KLR or RT.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
ghostryder OP
made it

I will PM you, seeing as how my plans are pretty open I will give you a buzz whne I am up in the area. Look foward to seeing some of the roads up there. Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
ghostryder OP
made it

Well the bike is packed...almost and all the final preperations are being made. I leave tomorow as early as I get up. I will be traveling up the Blue Ridge and connecting roads up into Pa. from there up into Ny State NH, VT, Maine the into Nova Scoia. From there it gets a little sketchy... I might hug the coast down into NJ and stay there and leave for the rally, or I might run out to Rochester and see a friend out there.I know that these plans a vague but If anyone wants to tag along your more than welcome......Pics will be posted when I get back.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #13
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,219
Have a great trip! See you when you get back.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote