User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Pissed Ignition Fuse...Blew 2 today!

I thought I would have to abandon the 950s (with only 1500 miles on the clock) in the mountains and walk out today.

I was doing a slow tight turn and stalled the bike out, damn near dumped it when it did but caught myself. Well I went to fire it back up and nothing, I mean nothing. I tried turning the ignition off and back on, clutch in, in neutral, stand down, stand up but no juice. Started to think I grounded out a wire somewhere. I peeled off all my gear, pulled the gobis off and was getting ready to do surgeory right there on the trail. For some reason I thought of checking the fuse block in the glove box. Sure enough the 10 amp fuse for the ignition was blown. Switched it out with the spare and she fired right up. No more worries right?

A little further up the road I pulled over and started to go, then it happened again. Popped out the blown fuse and in with another spare. Now no more spares and I am miles away from nowhere. I look at the other 10 amp fuses and figured I could rob the ones for the clock and the like if need be just to make it out.

Well I made it out and now I am asking WTF? Is blowing the ignition fuse common on an 06 950s?

Thanks,
Biggus
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,576
Somethings shorting

Gus,

It sounds to me like you've got an intermittent short, causing the fuse to blow. First place i'd check is around any areas where you might have done some work involving wiring i.e. installing accessories. Next i'd check around the steering moving parts.

I believe every instance of fuse blowing that I've read about on this site has eventually been tracked to a short or bare wire, although I might be mistaken.

Good luck,
Steve
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Not common, butt it has happened before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus
I thought I would have to abandon the 950s (with only 1500 miles on the clock) in the mountains and walk out today.

I was doing a slow tight turn and stalled the bike out, damn near dumped it when it did but caught myself. Well I went to fire it back up and nothing, I mean nothing. I tried turning the ignition off and back on, clutch in, in neutral, stand down, stand up but no juice. Started to think I grounded out a wire somewhere. I peeled off all my gear, pulled the gobis off and was getting ready to do surgeory right there on the trail. For some reason I thought of checking the fuse block in the glove box. Sure enough the 10 amp fuse for the ignition was blown. Switched it out with the spare and she fired right up. No more worries right?

A little further up the road I pulled over and started to go, then it happened again. Popped out the blown fuse and in with another spare. Now no more spares and I am miles away from nowhere. I look at the other 10 amp fuses and figured I could rob the ones for the clock and the like if need be just to make it out.

Well I made it out and now I am asking WTF? Is blowing the ignition fuse common on an 06 950s?

Thanks,
Biggus
There have been several reports of ignition fuses blowing over the past year or so. I believe that a short was found in the wiring loom near the steering head in each of them. Good starting point in any case. Good luck. Keep us updated.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Keith
Slabbing it

Oddometer: 879
I'll bet money that you were turning right and you have handlebar risers. Take a look at the harness coming out of your kill switch right around the steering head. Mine chafed through the sheath and three wires on the fork lock bracket. Might even be the white wire with a tellow tracer.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
crwmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS7
I'll bet money that you were turning right and you have handlebar risers. Take a look at the harness coming out of your kill switch right around the steering head. Mine chafed through the sheath and three wires on the fork lock bracket. Might even be the white wire with a tellow tracer.
Yep! Me too. The factory needs to take note and do a better job with that wire bundle.

Mac

"Plans are deliberately indefinite, more to travel than to arrive anywhere." Robert M. Pirsig
crwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Yep, I had this problem too.....you have to be mindful of the bundle when you install bar risers..

Just last night I finished what I hope will be the last of the cable re-routing.
I actually flipped my throttle 180deg, so the cables go UNDER the bar.

I rode the bike 130mi today with no binding and normal throttle feel so I think It will work fine.

I also zip-tied all the wires and cables together right where they gather in the little clip thing on the top triple clamp.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #7
biggus OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS7
Well it happened when the bars were turned right but I do not have risers (yet). There was an alarm system installed by the dealer before it shipped so wiring is looking to be the culprit. I'll have to wash it up and tear off the fairings to have a look at the wiring especially on the right side.

I will keep ya posted to what I find out. Thanks guys.

Biggus
biggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #8
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus
Well it happened when the bars were turned right but I do not have risers (yet). There was an alarm system installed by the dealer before it shipped so wiring is looking to be the culprit. I'll have to wash it up and tear off the fairings to have a look at the wiring especially on the right side.

I will keep ya posted to what I find out. Thanks guys.

Biggus
Take photos, if you can. They would be a great addition to the HOW. TIA...

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
For those with high-mileage bikes that have been out in a lot of weather, another possible culprit is water seepage into the primary ignition (where the key goes) which can cause a wire(s) to corrode / rust from the inside causing an intermittent circuit failure that drives a guy nucking futs. BTDT...

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #10
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,426
I know this is all old news but I have to say that it's super nice to be able to look up all the info that has been put up on this site to help find problems!

I also have a 2006 950 and the other day on a long ride we stopped and then went to start up again only to have "NO" response from the starter button. Luckily I went right to the fuse after seeing I had everything else working and sure enough "blown ignition fuse" Luckily I had 3, 10 amp's with me and made it home.

After reading some of the threads on this same problem here on ADV I went right to the wire bundle were it goes though the plastic holder and that's where I found this!

So, thanks to everyone that post's here, it can make life much easier and save a ton of time....
As I dig into this a little more I'll add a couple more photo's to show what I find in there!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #11
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig McCurdy View Post
As I dig into this a little more I'll add a couple more photo's to show what I find in there!
Nice idea.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,611
GR8 helpful thread and good info to know , JUST in CASE..
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

So last weekend I started plowing my ignition 10 amp fuse. It took 3 plus one 15 amp to get home. Knowing that there have been problems in the past with other 950's I just parked it in the shop and went home and pulled up all the threads on this issue. The next day I started with a quick check to the wire bundle at the head tube and this is what I found (right where must people have had problems in the past)!

From what I have read the black plastic clip has been the culprit most of the time. It was also the cause for my problem (turned out to be the starter switch wire)! So I dug in to see what I could find.

After thinking about this for a couple of minutes the first thing was that the wire was fine so out came the mastic

This stuff is great, just wrap the wire with a small piece and press it together.

So with both wires patched and control bundle wrapped back up, one step down one to go!

After reading about the down falls of the little black plastic holder and it being the cause of my fuse problem. It was, stuff it all back in like it was or do something different. Time to think about this!

Okay, this is what I came up with. Might not be right and might be over kill but I don't want to be blowing that fuse out in the woods again!

So here is the offending part.

And this is how it ended up!

I then cut a one inch strip of neoprene.

And starting at the bottom of the bundle I wrapped it like you would a handle bar on a road bike. The neoprene is great and you can get a tight wrap on the wire bundle.
One I got to the top, zip tie's to hold it in place!

If you look close I linked the second from the bottom with a second zip tie though the hole that I drilled in the plastic holder to keep it all in place.

View from the top, far right, center & far left.

Now I just need to get back out and ride! We'll see if it works?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
dirty dennis
are we there yet

Oddometer: 2,290
Ahh so that's where all that Fosters crap goes to!!! You realise that Carlton export it because noone in Australia will drink it! Want a good Aussie beer; try James Boag Premium Lager Cheers Dennis

7th Day Adventourist & Yassdasafarian
dirty dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dennis View Post
Ahh so that's where all that Fosters crap goes to!!! You realise that Carlton export it because noone in Australia will drink it! Want a good Aussie beer; try James Boag Premium Lager Cheers Dennis
It was on "SALE" and cheap!!! Your buying the next round mate.