Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #31
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
The trip back through the Gap after turning around at the overlook was a little slower. The first cage we came up behind pulled over and let us by but we soon came up behind another. We pulled over to give it some space but soon the car we passed caught up so we pulled back out......and soon caught up to the cage in front. We repeated this several times.

We passed by the Deals Gap resort.

It was not very busy. We didn't bother to stop but just continued on 129 towards Robbinsville.

We passed a herd of cruisers and touring bikes coming the other way.

We passed the "fugitive" dam

Harrison Ford was not jumping today

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

129 runs along the Cheoah river for a while making it a very pleasant and scenic ride.

We passed through Robbinsville, followed 129 to 19. Took a left on 19 and right on one of the best roads in the area, Wayah Rd.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #33
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was getting pretty hot and I wanted to cool off so we stopped along Wayah road and....

At least my feet were cool.

Then Debbi and I decided to take the same picture but we framed them quite differently. So who is the better photographer?

Debbi:

or me?

After this stop we continued down Wayah Road. It's a great ride and very scenic but we were getting tired and didn't get any pics. Then it was back to Franklin to load up and head home.

It was a great weekend. The Aprilia worked out pretty well and we both enjoyed being on it. We'll be doing more trips on it in the future.

Thanks for following along.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:43 PM   #34
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Didn't you used to ride an EX500?
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG View Post
Didn't you used to ride an EX500?
I sure did. I had an 89 EX500. Put 66,000 miles on it. It was a GREAT bike. So where do I know you from, was it the HSTA?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #36
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I sure did. I had an 89 EX500. Put 66,000 miles on it. It was a GREAT bike. So where do I know you from, was it the HSTA?
Yes it was.
DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #37
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG View Post
Yes it was.
It's a small world.

I don't have any sport bikes any more, just Dual Sports and scooters, but I ride them all like they're sport bikes

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #38
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Great report as always, Win!

Hope you continue to enjoy the Aprilia. I had an SR50F with the oil-injected DiTech engine which I derestricted and did vario tuning on (this was before I had my bike license). It was a very stable, comfortable, and peppy scoot for a 50, and I still smile when I think back to going down the road in heavy rain on it, a pair of Joe Rocket saddlebags loaded on because I was on a multiday trip, and a Triumph Tiger 2-up passes me. We meet up about 4 miles later at the ferry landing waiting for the boat to Tsawwassen, and the look on his face when he realized it was only a 50, was priceless. It would run a good 90 km/h no problem one up, and 80+ 2-up.
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #39
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Good stuff! I love Deals Gap. And I hear ya on how annoying it can be to get stuck behind slow traffic that won't use the paved pull-offs. I too avoid the place on weekends and holidays. Early and late day during the week is great. There is NOTHING like a completely uninterrupted run through all 300+ curves. You quickly learn how to avoid traffic by pulling off and waiting a few minutes to let the road clear, but when it's busy, even that doesn't work very well.

Curious... how many miles do you get out of a tank of gas? And how much fuel does it hold?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #40
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
Great report as always, Win!

Hope you continue to enjoy the Aprilia. I had an SR50F with the oil-injected DiTech engine which I derestricted and did vario tuning on (this was before I had my bike license). It was a very stable, comfortable, and peppy scoot for a 50, and I still smile when I think back to going down the road in heavy rain on it, a pair of Joe Rocket saddlebags loaded on because I was on a multiday trip, and a Triumph Tiger 2-up passes me. We meet up about 4 miles later at the ferry landing waiting for the boat to Tsawwassen, and the look on his face when he realized it was only a 50, was priceless. It would run a good 90 km/h no problem one up, and 80+ 2-up.
I have no doubt that I'll continue to enjoy it. I went for another ride the following weekend, this time solo in the N. Ga Mtns. I ended up chasing a group of guys on 650-1200cc bikes for a while. Just like the guy amazed you were on a 50cc scooter, I think I opened a few eyes on what could be done on a scooter. The link to that ride is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694932

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Good stuff! I love Deals Gap. And I hear ya on how annoying it can be to get stuck behind slow traffic that won't use the paved pull-offs. I too avoid the place on weekends and holidays. Early and late day during the week is great. There is NOTHING like a completely uninterrupted run through all 300+ curves. You quickly learn how to avoid traffic by pulling off and waiting a few minutes to let the road clear, but when it's busy, even that doesn't work very well.

Curious... how many miles do you get out of a tank of gas? And how much fuel does it hold?
A I posted, I normally won't go near Deals Gap when I think it will be busy. I was surprised that it really wasn't that crowded. I enjoyed it but I was riding 2 up on a scooter I wasn't used to yet so I was fine just taking it easy. I would have been bored riding through solo on one of my dual sports. Even without traffic, there was too much LEO presence.

As for mileage on the Aprilia, I have been getting 72-83 MPG and it has a 2.4 Gal tank. I ran it to the low fuel light one time. It came on at 138 miles and I filled up at 142 miles - 1.95 Gallons. I figure I can safely count on a range of around 165+ miles

klaviator screwed with this post 06-11-2011 at 04:04 PM
Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #41
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
what an AWESOME ride report
now you have me looking up aprilia scooters
i loved every picture and post
thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #42
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

As of last weekend, the dealer in Dahlonega still had one SC250 left for $3499

BTW, the bike it replaced as my 2 up bike was an R1100GS.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #43
team8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
great story and pictures, I had no idea you could ride a scooter two up in the mountains. For years I have been telling my fiancee that she needs to get one.
She's a slow learner on my Xr250, after showing her these pictures, she said she would love one like that. Thanks!!
team8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #44
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Awsome ride report, i love the smaller bike too. Ive had liter sportbikes goldwings, i have a full dresser harley now for sale. I just have a real blast on the litlle scooters too. I have a Zuma 125 rt now and its a hoot. They are soo capable, i went to the store and got a 30 pack of beer and 4 bags of ice, top that
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #45
PascalM3M5
PascalM3M5

Oddometer: 25
This is it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
what an AWESOME ride report
i loved every picture and post
thanks for sharing
I when to see last week-end a 2010 sport city aprilia cube. Was not sure because of some old bad story about reliability. I did love the bike. But now i find this site and those pictures and this nice story. I was hopping something similar will help me make my decision. Fantastic. Thanks verry much for this nice post. I put this on my computer favorites. PR
PascalM3M5 is offline   Reply With Quote