User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #4036
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Riding Relationships

I totally get to the "relational" aspect of the RR. After all you are not only sharing the ride with LDF but perhaps with a few hundred loyal fans. I'm guessing the the whole exercise might not be as compelling in a voyeuristic vacuum. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #4037
canuk_guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
No sponsor?

What happened to your sponsor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post

Oh, I guess I should throw in at least one teaser:

canuk_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #4038
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Sponsorship

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk_guy View Post
What happened to your sponsor???
JiffyPop dropped us. Apparently we were supposed to cook and eat the stuff, not just use the grease to pack bearings. Who knew?

But stay tuned, 'cause we're lining up a big name for Mobius 8.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #4039
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 814
Doc,
You know this but struggling through the adversity makes us appreciate the good stuff even more. Looking forward to the telling of the tale.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM   #4040
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,838
I really enjoy following what you two have done. Pinktoad and I look forward to one day doing similar. Thanks for putting the thought and effort into the reports.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #4041
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
JiffyPop dropped us. Apparently we were supposed to cook and eat the stuff, not just use the grease to pack bearings. Who knew?

But stay tuned, 'cause we're lining up a big name for Mobius 8.
curious
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #4042
usp45
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Doc, Francine

I drove by the loft last Saturday and was thinking about how you guys were doing, almost stopped to say hello but I was working. After re-injury of my back, Ive been laying flat since Monday night. Looking forward to a fresh MRI on Sat. Anyway I finally caught up and the video and photography was awesome. Kind of bittersweet to catch up because now, like everyone else I will be waiting for the new RR. Thanks again for sharing your story
Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #4043
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Mobius 7: Friday May 13th 2011

Some scenes from our day of departure... Looking for a companion for Mr. Happy Puppet. The niece would have none of it.

(I said "Mobius 6" but I meant "Mobius 7" -- I'd been on call and hadn't really slept much.)

Instructions for LDF's sister on how to shut down the AdventureLoft™ after they left:

This kept LDF awake at night worse than bearanoia during the trip.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #4044
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

At the airport

Mine was the heavier of the two bags with chains and sprockets and tools: 44lb with gear... 50lbs and you pay a hefty (pun intended) fee.

waiting to take off on the tarmac we saw this... anyone know who flies in it?

We had the worst seats on the plane...

Up in the air, we tried to catch the ballgame:

and see our house, but that was kind of hard on account of the smoke. Probably from the stove. Or maybe the dryer.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #4045
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

I tried to sleep

but this woman next to me in a burqa was snoring.

to pass the time, I read the New Yorker and had a drink.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:20 PM   #4046
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We had a layover

in Denver,

where I ate breakfast...

there's nothing like post-call + time zone changes. I can't anticipate if they're going to cancel each other out, or multiply the effects.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #4047
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Flying over the rockies

a couple of things occurred to me

one: that's an awful lot of snow down there still...

and two: Anchorage is a fricking long way away from NYC.

It was a long day, but the sun was still up when we landed:

So we went out for a drink!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #4048
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
I'm in again!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #4049
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
So we went out for a drink!
I think I'm now incontinent... either that or I've been sitting at the screen hitting refresh for sooooo long, I forgot to take a bathroom break.

I've become such a fan-boy, I want to move to New York and have a loft. Is the one next to y'all available? We could call it the "Adventure Reading Cafe". My wife is worried; more about my daughter than myself--how will a 16 year old from Memphis fair in NYC?

Joking aside, bring it on! Oh, and my wife's not really worried--that adventurous, white-girl dread wearing, hippie-geek novelist I'm married to can't get enough new experiences to keep her brain fed. But that's for another ride report. Maybe I'll introduce her to Mobius Tales... but then she'll read this post...

"Hi Honey!"
Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #4050
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M7 days 2&3 Sat. May 15th & Sunday the 16th 2011

Every once in awhile we are able to arrange a rendezvous at one end or the other of our trips. We hung out with my family in Flagstaff before M3, but usually it's just pack up and ride.

This time we took two days to spend time with our great friend JimC and a couple of his new colleagues who were in Anchorage finishing up at the Aerospace Medicine conference.

We've know Jim since when he and I worked together over 10 years ago in the Surgical ICU. We co-managed patients after 9-11, and published papers together on ICU disaster preparedness. We go way back.

He left NYC to work at the greatest emergency room in the world in Maryland, and is now leaving trauma surgery behind to start a new career in Aerospace medicine.

This means sacrificing his income by an order of magnitude, and moving halfway across the country, and becoming a resident again for a couple of years, and accepting the uncertainty of the space program's future, but it has been a dream of his to be part of the space program since he was a boy, and he has made himself an opportunity, and he's taking it.

Now THAT"S and adventure. I haven't seen him this happy and excited about anything in the last decade.