User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #31
ncbuckeye
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I tried....

I saw the plans last night, and decided to head over and join everyone for the ride. I'm a little over an hour east of you all (near Shelby), so the WR and I left plenty early to allow extra time. I didn't want to buzz along the interstate any longer than I had to, so I got off at Hendersonville to cut off the last leg of the slab. I was doing great until I came up on an accident on 191 and had to sit on the road for over half an hour. I got to the campground around 10:20 or so, and just kept on past the campground on the dirt road and followed it to the end. I was bummed I missed out on the ride- I'll try to watch for future rides, because it seemed like a great area.
ncbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #32
pentonfan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
What Exhaust for XR 650 L

Hey Joe,
Had a great time riding with you guys and hope to do it again sometime soon. Concerning your exhaust system- my brother recently sold his 2006 Honda XR650L and it was equiped with a full FMF stainless system and their Q series muffler. The bike had a great sound and was still spark arrested so Forrest legal. When first he bought that bike it had the stock system with the baffle removed- way too loud. I'm a firm believer in holding the noise down so we don't lose access to riding areas. The FMF Q Mufflers do a good job of that. We also installed a de-smog kit and jet kit which greatly improved the performance of that bike. Check out XR's Only and FMF for the stuff you need.

Best regards, Jeff
pentonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #33
pentonfan
Adventurer

Accident on 191

I came across that accident too- I backed up and cut through that neighborhood and came out at the next stop light and by-passed the whole thing. Sorry you missed us!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #34
pentonfan
Adventurer

XR650L Exhaust

Just looked at FMF web site www.fmfracing.com and they still list the header for your bike and a Q muffler and the jet kit you should get. Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky (the two biggest parts distributors) do not show the header in their catalogs. The other site you should check out is www.xrsonly.com for the smog block off stuff. We did both on my brothers bike- big difference! We also had a Clark plastic tank, Renthal bars and a bunch of other bling on it. With a few mods the XR is a super Dual Sport bike! feel free to call me if you'd like- been down the road with dirt bikes awhile 828 551 5504 Jeff
Old 06-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbuckeye View Post
I saw the plans last night, and decided to head over and join everyone for the ride. I'm a little over an hour east of you all (near Shelby), so the WR and I left plenty early to allow extra time. I didn't want to buzz along the interstate any longer than I had to, so I got off at Hendersonville to cut off the last leg of the slab. I was doing great until I came up on an accident on 191 and had to sit on the road for over half an hour. I got to the campground around 10:20 or so, and just kept on past the campground on the dirt road and followed it to the end. I was bummed I missed out on the ride- I'll try to watch for future rides, because it seemed like a great area.
Wowsers, you must have just missed us, we even stopped for bit at 276 when we had our first look for another ride soon.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #36
ETrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Enjoying the pics Cuttle! I often ride the same areas as you.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #37
lgajohnymac
(*)

Oddometer: 1,122
Tracks are in the dinner thread. I meant to post here but after some technical difficulty I posted it thinking I had it in here.
lgajohnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #38
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
subscribed!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #39
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,087
+1!
Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #40
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,803
BYOB Marlinton

ok, some people may call it stupid, but I am planning to ride up to the BYOB for one night only

Started to prepare a few days ago (had to mount it twice since I the valve blew after the first mount ):

The front tire is bad too, but what the heck, since it's only asphalt it will do for one more trip....

So, the plan was to meet up with a friend Saturday morning and "tag along", well this it probably not going to happen , so I am going alone.

The route I picked:

View Larger Map

279 miles, 6 1/2 hours according to google.... sounds doable, and my butt hurts just thinking about it.

I am great in making plans, and I am even better in not sticking to my own plans . So today I am going hiking, and tomorrow......we will see (I'm packing the tent)

Cuttle screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 01:37 PM
Cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
[QUOTE=Cuttle;16059078].........

QUOTE]

I love riding that area. Great pics. I really love curves like the one above. I was on some of the same roads last weekend. I believe I might have got a pic a curve or 2 away from the pic above.

I'll be up in that area all next week for some DS riding

Hi Carmen. I see you're still enjoying the KTM.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #42
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I love riding that area. Great pics. I really love curves like the one above. I was on some of the same roads last weekend. I believe I might have got a pic a curve or 2 away from the pic above.
Actually, this isn't the same road you were on, this turns are just 1/2 mile above our house (between Mars Hill and Wolf Laurel) and it will turn into gravel for a bit. but, if you want tight switchbacks you should check out the Grapevine road of Mars Hill
Old 06-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #43
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
Actually, this isn't the same road you were on, this turns are just 1/2 mile above our house (between Mars Hill and Wolf Laurel) and it will turn into gravel for a bit. but, if you want tight switchbacks you should check out the Grapevine road of Mars Hill
I see that I still have a lot of exploring to do

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #44
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,087

Yup, me too. An I been here since '06. Still finding new stuff in this county.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #45
Cuttle OP
me? what?

Well, I didn't take much time to stop for pics... too much riding to do and not enough time

First off, a close up of the @#&^%$ tire: just "cracked" while I tried to put it on... it did hold up

The ride up was great, not quiet the route I planned, but pretty close, 8am till 5 or 6pm with a few breaks, twisties, gravel, a few turn arounds (off course)

The only pic I took at the BYOB - to much "bullshitting" to do

(sorry some pics are duplicates from the BYOB thread)

Great produce at the roadside stand

advtenn and Lobby

Burkes Garden - don't go there, this place sucks

Hwy 133 near Damascus

Hiding from the rain - not a bad place to stop

great viz