Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #91
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessextreme View Post
Apparently, there is a run on fuse box covers!

"Thank you again for your purchase from BikeBandit.com. Due to high demand, the manufacturer has marked the item(s) listed below in your order XXXXXX backordered. "

COVER, FUSE BOX

$8.32

Back Order
Got my Fuse box cover

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #92
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Got my Fuse box cover
Good for you, CC!

After riding over 5,000 miles, my Shorai battery relocation is working superbly. The NX650 fuse box cover protects the fuses very well, and the velcro keeps the battery firmly attached to the top of the air box. The Shorai battery cranks the engine strongly, and easily starts my XR650L. I am still very pleased with my Shorai battery relocation, and I can recommend it without reservation.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #93
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
...I know about John Galt. I wish I could find him, but he has disappeared for good. ...
Did you check the Gulch?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #94
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...after reading posts by Steve, mcmc111, and Brian, techforlife, I realized the importance of the oil separator ...I also believe my engine will run better with it installed. ...
I think I might have had a hand in that card game
Anyway, no, it won't run any better, but it should use a little less engine oil.

Quote:
...certainly didn't harm my motorcycle. Many others have removed the oil separators from their bikes, and ridden many miles without problems. ...
That's right, it won't hurt anything. Actually, the misty oil vapors are just adequate to lube the UNI so all you have to do is clean it when it gets dirty and oil it once after Tradeoffs
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 05-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #95
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I think I might have had a hand in that card game
Anyway, no, it won't run any better, but it should use a little less engine oil. ...
I figure if my bike uses less engine oil, it is running better, Ono. I also think the intake vacuum from the carburetor might draw some oil vapor into the cylinder, and my engine will perform better with a purer fuel/air mixture. In any event, I trust the Honda engineers had a reason for designing the oil separator, so I decided to put it back on my XR650L.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 05-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #96
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you check the Gulch?
I can't find Galt's Gulch! I think they are employing some kind of shield to hide its location.

Spud
Old 06-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #97
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
I figure if my bike uses less engine oil, it is running better, Ono. I also think ...
One thing I've learned over the years - if ya think yer bike's running better, then it is!

Hey Spud

I'm sure my bike's engine runs just fine without the oil separator in place, has for years, and I'd venture to guess that a host of many others run top-notch without the oil separators also. If careful measurements were made, it would be a surprise to me if the oil consumption via mist approaches that which gets by the valve seals and rings. In your situation, I believe I would better make the argument by declaring to be concerned about the additional oil mist contacting the relocated components in the airbox. Hiding behind the idea that the Honda engineers know, and you don't, may be good logic in itself, and certainly a safe presumption, but it doesn't bring any new light to the discussion.

It's no mystery what the oil separator does or why the engineers employed it. The function of the oil separator is clear: to allow oil mist suspened in the crankcase venting air a space to slow down and condense out on the walls, from which it can then flow back by gravity into the engine's crankcase. Minute quantities of oil in the combustion chamber won't make the engine lose power, and might even help with long-term wear, but it can cause the exhaust emissions to exceed the federal mandates and disqualify the bike from being street legal in the USA. (think 2-stroke cycle) HTH

Quote:
...I think they are employing some kind of shield to hide its location. ...
Your mission, should you accept, is to track down that shield and de-activate it! Rumor has it that Galt's Gulch is within the Idaho mountains
Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #98
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...If careful measurements were made, it would be a surprise to me if the oil consumption via mist approaches that which gets by the valve seals and rings...
Perhaps it is so. However, I am riding harder, and using less oil, since I reinstalled the oil separator. It might be interesting if you performed the same experiment.
Quote:
...In your situation, I believe I would better make the argument by declaring to be concerned about the additional oil mist contacting the relocated components in the airbox...
As you know, the CDI unit is completely sealed, so I doubt it is vulnerable to oil mist. Indeed, the intake vacuum of the engine is so high, and the air filter so effective, I truly doubt any oil mist can penetrate the air filter to soil the interior of the air box.
Quote:
...It's no mystery what the oil separator does or why the engineers employed it. The function of the oil separator is clear: to allow oil mist suspened in the crankcase venting air a space to slow down and condense out on the walls, from which it can then flow back by gravity into the engine's crankcase...
Indeed, that's why I like the oil separator.
Quote:
...Your mission, should you accept, is to track down that shield and de-activate it! Rumor has it that Galt's Gulch is within the Idaho mountains
Mission accepted! Did anyone mention anything about a Shorai battery relocation in this thread?

Spud
Old 06-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #99
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... Mission accepted! Did anyone mention anything about a Shorai battery relocation in this thread? ...
Lucky so-and-so @$%%$

So yeah, how's the relocation worked out after all those miles? I'm betting no news is good news! I wish you were slamming over rocks all day long like I do with mine (except lately with the shift shaft broken off) so I could see if it would stand up to the beating before being the guinea "pig".
Oooooo, I'd better go out and start that pig; hasn't run in weeks!
BTW, my oil breather hose is coming in the upwind (airbox) side of the air filter so the mist is sucked through the filter keeping it oiled.
Perhaps it's a reasonable assumption that oil won't harm the CDI unit, but is it a bet worth taking? I don't think it's a good long-term bet!
Peace be with you!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #100
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...So yeah, how's the relocation worked out after all those miles? I'm betting no news is good news! I wish you were slamming over rocks all day long like I do with mine (except lately with the shift shaft broken off) so I could see if it would stand up to the beating before being the guinea "pig". ...
The Rocky Mountains of Idaho also contain a few rocks, so I do slam over some myself. I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery relocation is working very well. I am also happy the 10+ pounds of the "battery suitcase" is not slamming my subframe every time I pound through the Idaho rock piles.
Quote:
...BTW, my oil breather hose is coming in the upwind (airbox) side of the air filter so the mist is sucked through the filter keeping it oiled. ...
Good for you! As with many others, I was routing my breather hose into the bottom port on the carburetor side of the air filter. Your routing of the breather hose makes much more sense. As long as you don't mind the extra oil consumption, I can't see a downside to your configuration. Personally, I prefer the oil separator. However, I really don't care if others choose to remove it.
Quote:
...Perhaps it's a reasonable assumption that oil won't harm the CDI unit, but is it a bet worth taking? I don't think it's a good long-term bet!
Peace be with you!
If someone routes the air hose as you do, on the air box side of the air filter, the CDI unit will indeed get oil on it. I think the CDI unit is probably sealed well enough, but I personally wouldn't want to coat it with oil from the crankcase. Therefore, if one wishes to mount the CDI unit in the air box, I would recommend he not route the crankcase breather hose as you have done.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 06-08-2011 at 04:21 PM
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #101
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Well... that was smart.... I was replying, then shut down my browser forgetting to grab my reply text first!

So yeah, I purchased my bike already modified, otherwise I think I'da had the wits to leave that part unchanged.

Good point about the load on the subframe. I expect to delve into emulating your mod. once the battery expires (or the subframe busts!). I'm thinking perhaps to add some tire rubber between the battery case and the frame members, though.

Didn't mean to underestimate your rock riding Sr. Spud. It's just that with all the beautiful pictures of you riding around that I've seen, none have included rocks thus far. This is the kind of stuff we find ourselves hammering through in these parts:

Sometimes you have to speed up to keep your body from being shaken to the point of brain jello!
And sometimes you break your shift shafts off where they exit the case!

PS: Pig was a little reluctant to fire up right off the bat, but she did so before running the battery down (woohoo) and got a good warmup.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #102
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
!st shakedown ride with my 'full-size' shorai in the stock loc, so far so good.

Did some gnarly little stream crossings, used to be the trail dipped down to the stream and there was a little drop, recent heavy rains lowered the streambed and left a bit of vert on both sides. If you can't ride it like a trials bike, leave it home!

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #103
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post

!st shakedown ride with my 'full-size' shorai in the stock loc, so far so good.

Dave
Which one is that?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #104
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Which one is that?

The direct replacement, not the one that is smaller that people are putting under the seat.

Someone on TT just reported theirs died after 2 weeks- could have been a slow drain.

Dave
Old 06-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #105
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
...Someone on TT just reported theirs died after 2 weeks- could have been a slow drain.

Dave
I'm pleased to report my Shorai battery relocation is still performing superbly after 7,700 miles of riding.

Spud