ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
DrKayak OP
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 749
HEIDENAU-K60 vs TKC80 Front tire

I have the Mefo front and do not care for it. Looking for somthing more dirt capable without being too scarry on pavement.

I have read tons of post and never saw one from someone who has ran both these front tires.

Is the TKC80 a lot better?
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,430
I'm running a TKC on the front of my 06, 950 It's been good for me!
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
devildogg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I run with the Scout on the back and the TK on the front and also like the combination, I get good wear out of the TK 80 I usually end up tossing it before it wears right out I get some pretty funky cupping after about 10,000 kilometers
Not bad on the pavement and acceptable off road, as good as any other dual sport front IMO

devildogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,596
I liked the TKC on the front a lot. The reason I went to the Dunlop 606 is pinch flats.

TKC's have a nice soft side wall making it good for the road, but the bike is too heavy to ride on rocky roads without risk of pinch flats, rim and tire damage. I almost always ran 36 psi.

I just finished off my first Mefo rear. I bought the Heidenau 140 and 150 size to try on the rear now.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Rustytrigger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I'm running a tkc on the front and like it in dirt. I do keep the air pressure higher than I normally would on dirt. I still feel pretty good in the dirt at high speeds. Another super popular option is the Metzeler MCE Karoo 2. Kind of like the TKC.
Rustytrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
I actually like the Mefo front better than the TKC, but I don't like the TKC at all, so that's not saying much.

The Michelin T63 is a better tire than either one under all conditions; but I don't think anything will outlast the Mefo.

I wish I could give you some feedback on the K60. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustytrigger View Post
I'm running a tkc on the front and like it in dirt. I do keep the air pressure higher than I normally would on dirt. I still feel pretty good in the dirt at high speeds. Another super popular option is the Metzeler MCE Karoo 2. Kind of like the TKC.
I run Karroo 2's up front, was going to try a TCK next but I think I'll now stick with the K2s. It doesnít wear particularly well as it seems to be made from two different rubber compounds but like all semi knob road/off-road tyres they perform much better in the dirt than adv tyres, especially under braking.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
scottmctag
Well travelled

Oddometer: 156
Fim metzler 6 days endurance

Using MCE karoo2........ - points mileage is bad (low) and so is cupping, heavy steering when worn ! + points good manners on/off road wet or dry

Was thinking TKC 80.........

Is ... Metzler MCE 6 days endurance the same tyre as a karoo 2 ? ( I am confused ) if it is not is it any good ?
KTM was founded in 1934 by Hans Trunkenpolz and was initially known as Kraftfahrzeuge Trunkenpolz. later, in 1953, an Austrian businessman named Ernst Kronreif bought a large share of the company which was the renamed to Kronreif & Trunkenpolz Mattighofen (KTM).
scottmctag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
... I don't like the TKC at all.
Me either Stobe.

As mentioned = Soft Sidewalls on Heavy Bikes DON'T mix, aired up or not

Plus, the tread depth is too short even when new
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,947
I just put a K60 on the front of the 990. First, it's amazing how easy it is to mount a tire after it's sat in the hot sun for 3-4 hours. It was worth dealing with the heat in my work area from putting this off until later in the morning. Second, I love the UHD tubes. The valve stem popped right into the hole. I didn't have to wrassle with it at all.

The tire appears to be OK. No annoying noises and the tread will probably be fine for the street and jeep trails. After I get 100 miles or so on it I'll lean it into a corner or three and see how it sticks...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Before heading off on a 2300km road trip, I recently replaced my Dunlop 606 with a Kenda 784. Gotta admit I am rather impressed with it.

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
jay71
Farklin' Poser

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
I have the Mefo front and do not care for it. Looking for somthing more dirt capable without being too scarry on pavement.

I have read tons of post and never saw one from someone who has ran both these front tires.

Is the TKC80 a lot better?
Take a close look at the Heidi front tire in comparison to the Mefo that you are not fond of. Heidenau makes Mefo's tires for them and the Super explorers look very similar to the Heidenau's. Would hate for you to drop the cash on the Heidenau front then notice it handles just like the Mefo as you drive away!! I haven't looked at the two tires- so this concern may be unfounded...just wanted to make you aware of the Heidenau/Mefo affiliation (which I recently learned in another post btw).
Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
DrKayak OP
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay71 View Post
Take a close look at the Heidi front tire in comparison to the Mefo that you are not fond of. Heidenau makes Mefo's tires for them and the Super explorers look very similar to the Heidenau's. Would hate for you to drop the cash on the Heidenau front then notice it handles just like the Mefo as you drive away!! I haven't looked at the two tires- so this concern may be unfounded...just wanted to make you aware of the Heidenau/Mefo affiliation (which I recently learned in another post btw).
The Heidenau looks to have a much wider spacing on the front lugs than the Mefo front. Should be some what better in the dirt by the looks of it.

I'm mainly look for less crashes on the dirt.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #14
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I have had a set of the Heidenau K60 on for the last 6000 miles. It's a great tire for what they are. The front wares better than the Mefo and the tread pattern is actually reversed between the two. At 6000 miles the front is hardly worn and is just starting to show a bit of cupping but nothing awful like the mefo at less milage. The rear hooks up well in most anything and probably has another 2000 miles left in it until done. I should also note that I have been fully loaded for camping since leaving home in Cleveland and am currently in Fairbanks Alaska still fully loaded. I have been on some gravel, some trail, some mud, and some river rock beds and if I were to choose a tire for my purposes to this point in my trip this would be it. Yes the front does not like the mud and finds the rut every time but to get the milage out of this set is fantastic and did it's job very very well. Next up is the mostly dirt section of my trip so off will come the K60 Scouts for the 908r rear and the tkc 80 front. I know I can get good milage out of the tkc front and I needed something better than the K60 for wet stuff. Sure there are better off road front tires but when I have 20,000 miles to cover on this trip milage matters and there is always a compromise.
Ride on!

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
I actually like the Mefo front better than the TKC, but I don't like the TKC at all, so that's not saying much.

The Michelin T63 is a better tire than either one under all conditions; but I don't think anything will outlast the Mefo.

I wish I could give you some feedback on the K60. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.

Have you spooned on that K60 front yet Stobie? I need to replace my front, Iíve got the 3 rd Karoo T 2 on there now, just donít like the way they wear, seems to be two different rubber compounds, one wears faster and it feels like riding a kango on the slab. Donít like TKCís and canít find Kendaís here, so what other choices do I have for a semi knob front that lasts on the slab.