Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #3796
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
For an emergency stand, I have an adjustable-length peg-style lightweight stand I can put under the swingarm. But for the garage, a jackstand with three legs keeps the bike very secure.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #3797
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Greetings DR 200 fans! I have been looking for a DR for my wife to ride as my two current bikes are a bit on the heavy and tall side. I like the fact that the DR has a bigger gas tank than most of the other small dispacement DS bikes. Anyway, we went and looked at a new '09 at a dealer nearby, and I was going to take it for a ride- which didn't work out. The salesman rolled it out and tried for about 2-3 minutes to get it to start- but just cranked. He remarked that the fuel valve was on prime and figured the carb was flooded, so took it to the shop to have it drained. Meanwhile he had me take an xt 250 for a spin. Fast forward an hour and a half, they still can't get it started and the mechanic tells me that the crankcase has got a bunch of fuel in it, and they are going to drain that and change the oil. Question is, after they cranked and cranked on it for more than an hour off and on full of fuel- what kind- if any damage could they have done? And how much damage has been done to the bike sitting there with a case full of gasoline?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #3798
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF7GTH View Post
Greetings DR 200 fans! I have been looking for a DR for my wife to ride as my two current bikes are a bit on the heavy and tall side. I like the fact that the DR has a bigger gas tank than most of the other small dispacement DS bikes. Anyway, we went and looked at a new '09 at a dealer nearby, and I was going to take it for a ride- which didn't work out. The salesman rolled it out and tried for about 2-3 minutes to get it to start- but just cranked. He remarked that the fuel valve was on prime and figured the carb was flooded, so took it to the shop to have it drained. Meanwhile he had me take an xt 250 for a spin. Fast forward an hour and a half, they still can't get it started and the mechanic tells me that the crankcase has got a bunch of fuel in it, and they are going to drain that and change the oil. Question is, after they cranked and cranked on it for more than an hour off and on full of fuel- what kind- if any damage could they have done? And how much damage has been done to the bike sitting there with a case full of gasoline?
Might as well go to a different dealer. Why worry about it? That's bizarre for a DR200 to behave that way...it's one of the easiest-starting bikes I've ever owned.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #3799
Johnny9finger
Johnny9finger

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt View Post
I use a length of steel tube as a "pegleg" to prop the right side of the bike. This forms a three-leg lift between the sidestand, the peg, and the front tire. The same peg can also lift the front wheel. Works on the trail and in my garage.

Sorry, I've no pictures of the peg in action (yet).

Don't be discouraged. The front tire is the hardest. A good set of irons helps, as does taking the work slowly and trying to rush or force things.
I use a Milk crate centered under the engine. With a few pieces of 2x4 you can easily cantilever the bike up and slide it over the crate with out any one else, its also very stabile.
Johnny9finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #3800
Trailrider200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeReTiK View Post
Dude, thanks!

Question - Who are you guys using for OEM parts online? I'm tired of high shipping prices and missing parts. Bikebandit seems to suck. Any ideas?
http://www.dealercostparts.com/

according to other forums, one does not have to be a dealer, just sign up and one can buy

"Our Constitution was made only for a Moral and Religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the goverment of any other."
John Adams 10/11/1798

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" Ronald Reagan
Trailrider200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #3801
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Not likely any real damage was done, but if the dealer and his techs are such boobs that they can't figure out a simple problem like that and get it running in an hour and a half, then you might be able to convince them that they should unload the bike to you for a big discount. All it needs is an oil and filter change and a good carb cleaning. I would NOT take it to that dealer for service in the future.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #3802
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerroLoco View Post
Can anyone describe to me how you jack-up a bike to remove the rear tire. may be a stupid question, but i'm struggling. seems to be very precariously balanced when I do it. have a small jack that alone is like balancing the bike on small cylinder. when I try and block it up, it wants to fall off my blocking with any slight bump. any suggestions or pics?

changed my front tire last weekend to a shinko 244 and going to replace the rear this weekend. only popped three (yes, that's right, three) tubes working with the tire irons but I think I now finally have the touch... a comment I will fully test this weekend when i try and not pop any more tubes on the rear. doh.
See this post to see what everyone is talking about...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6399

And I just bought one of these "jacks" to take on trips on the DRs.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877

bross screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 10:00 PM
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #3803
Klay
dreaming adventurer

This is very, very secure:

Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #3804
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
You calling 2x4's NOT secure Klay? Gotta admit I was nervous for that brand new Tiger seeing it propped up like that. My DR on the side of trail, sure. But a brand new Tiger in my garage, I think I'd go for your solution, or just use my bike lift.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #3805
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I do feel a little nervous looking at the 2X4.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #3806
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post

Got it. Thanks to Klay and others for the pics. Very helpful.
PerroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #3807
KF7GTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Well, found one that runs New '09 with 1 mile on the odometer. Momma is now happy. We will get her out tomorrow and see how it does. She looked at me strange when I started talking about racks and tank bags and re-jetting the carb, and muffler mods I have a disease-

KF7GTH screwed with this post 06-11-2011 at 05:01 PM
KF7GTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #3808
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Well, found one that runs New '09 with 1 mile on the odometer. Momma is now happy. We will get her out tomorrow and see how it does. She looked at me strange when I started talking about racks and tank bags and re-jetting the carb, and muffler mods I have a disease-
Congrats, she'll have a ball on it. My wife's DR200 is her favourite bike, and that's saying something considering her other bike is a Street Triple R!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #3809
bross
Where we riding to?

New rack installed

Just received the rack from Mike at Manracks. Is it OK to say "nice rack" to a guy? Anyway, fit was bang on and bolted up in a few minutes. Very sturdy and slick mounting. Will work very well.

before

after

Will be testing the rack this weekend on the BC Big Trailie ride.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:31 PM   #3810
PerroLoco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
tires - done

tackled the back tire this evening and got it done. using the jack on the swing arm in conjunction with the side stand made life MUCH easier - thanks for that tip. had a bit of a battle getting the tire off and then on, but did not pop any tubes this go around - much improved. thanks again for the tips.

I actually took some photos of my bike up on the jack - how do you guys get photos to post in your messages? was a bit confounded by my options...
PerroLoco is offline   Reply With Quote