Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #76
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Well, I grew up where the humidity in the summer is 98 99%.

I have a J/R Razor suit and it has zippered slashes I can close/open them. Which at sundown or night as temps cool is a BLESSING!

So far, I have no complaints. B/c the alternative is what? A trip to the ER?

And if it is hot when I stop, I sweat a little and when I ride off it's like I stepped into a freezer...

That and contrasting the meh heat of today with the near pass out times I've taken in air almost as thick as water... I have no problems.

Even with my perf leather jacket, unzipped under speed and I zip it up once at speed.

I could say stop being a candy ass... But I won't

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #77
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I hate it when I get to work (45 min ride) and remove my non mesh pants on a 80-95 degree day and my work pants (cargo pants or BDU style pants) are soaked with sweat and stuck to me. I'm going to get a pair of Olympia Airglide 3 mesh pants for this. I ride a 08+ KLR and a 03 Strom, both with touring windscreens that allow relatively calm air around the torso/head. The legs from knee down are pretty much exposed to the prevailing winds of the ride.

I feel the mesh pants in this instance, with full fairing bikes, is really the "hot" ticket

Around here in Pittsburgh, and after reading the conversations (arguments?) and the links provided... and knowing that upper 90's is not the normal summer temps, I'm assuming that it can be agreed that based upon my style of machines and geographic location with the associated temperatures that mesh would be highly recomended.

To us, 95-100 degrees is like end of the world, cars breaking down, folks dieing while cutting grass kind of heat.
Visit my Amsoil site here:
http://www.lubedealer.com/DiscountPowerParts/home.aspx
larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #78
Pindon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Shamwow

I wrap a Shamwow knock off from Walmart around my neck and secure it with a large rubber band.

The shamwow holds a great deal of water and while riding it cools the blood flowing to my head and lasts for hours. It seems to work for me.

Best regards,

the Pindon
Pindon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #79
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
I hate it when I get to work (45 min ride) and remove my non mesh pants on a 80-95 degree day and my work pants (cargo pants or BDU style pants) are soaked with sweat and stuck to me. I'm going to get a pair of Olympia Airglide 3 mesh pants for this. I ride a 08+ KLR and a 03 Strom, both with touring windscreens that allow relatively calm air around the torso/head. The legs from knee down are pretty much exposed to the prevailing winds of the ride.

I feel the mesh pants in this instance, with full fairing bikes, is really the "hot" ticket

Around here in Pittsburgh, and after reading the conversations (arguments?) and the links provided... and knowing that upper 90's is not the normal summer temps, I'm assuming that it can be agreed that based upon my style of machines and geographic location with the associated temperatures that mesh would be highly recomended.

To us, 95-100 degrees is like end of the world, cars breaking down, folks dieing while cutting grass kind of heat.
Its not that bad.. Im used to the rare 90's we get (not too far from you in Finleyville). One downside of mesh... when i was riding along in my Joe rocket Alter Ego2 jacket, mesh panels leeft at home, it got chilly come 4:30. That ride home from Greene county was not as fun as the ride out (soreness aside).

When you pull of the panels from a convertible jacket, you have to figure where to stash them, if you bring them along. I dotn even think I have the rain slip for this thing anymore, which is another factor.
Renegade_Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #80
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm currently torn between the Firstgear HT Air 2011 and the Olympia Airglide 3 2011. Both are $185, they are bringing the Firstgear in for Thursday so I can try it on, i have to commit to the Olympia if they bring it in because they can not send that back. What to do.... What to do!?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #81
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
I'm currently torn between the Firstgear HT Air 2011 and the Olympia Airglide 3 2011. Both are $185, they are bringing the Firstgear in for Thursday so I can try it on, i have to commit to the Olympia if they bring it in because they can not send that back. What to do.... What to do!?
They can't send the olympia back? That sounds like BS to me. I've returned tons of olympia stuff that didn't fit the way I wanted from online retailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post

When you pull of the panels from a convertible jacket, you have to figure where to stash them, if you bring them along. I dotn even think I have the rain slip for this thing anymore, which is another factor.
Yes, the same goes for when the sun goes down around here, especially on days in the low 90's or mid 80's. It hits the mid-low 60's very fast and if you don't have a liner with you, you'll be much colder than you'd like - particularly on the highway.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #82
TheOutsider
jujubees

Oddometer: 9
just my unnecessary 2 cents

+1 on the SmartWool socks. Night and day difference, I won't ride without them when going more than a few miles.

I'm also here in the oppressively hot and humid state of NC; I went just shy of a 1k ride over 2 days last week with a Tourmaster Draft mesh jacket and the Carhartt pants mentioned earlier in this thread. When temps hit 95 or higher, it got tough. Soaking a shirt/bandana is great but it only lasts 30 or 45 minutes at highway speeds... at least on my Aprilia Futura, where the windscreen doesn't do very much to help. The mesh did more harm than good, which surprised me. (and then I find this thread explaining why...)

Commuting to and from work? Mesh is *great* for me. Distance of any sort? I'm going to try something different next time. I'm told staying constantly hydrated (i.e., Camelbak) will work better than any sort of exterior cooling, but I have yet to test that theory. Comes from an IBR rider or two, so I suppose I should try it...

As always, YMMV...

2002 Suzuki DR650
2002 Ash Grey Aprilia Futura
2003 Suzuki SV650S - Sold
TheOutsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #83
larry0071
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
They can't send the olympia back? That sounds like BS to me. I've returned tons of olympia stuff that didn't fit the way I wanted from online retailers.
I buy from my local dealer that sales me the bikes as well. They deal with Tucker Rocky or something... and they said that Tucker does not do Olympia so they would have to go to another source that would not allow them to bring the pants in for me to touch and feel and then send back if I were to decide to go for the FirstGear.

They have the Firstgear on the way, so I'll be touching them and trying them on Thursday. I have already seen from another post/thread that there is a large follwing for the Olympia Airglide 3 pants, and because I'm not seeing them side by side I was hoping someone that may have had both could tell me what was the redeeming feature of the Olympia compared to the Firstgear. Price is the same, at about $185 for each pant, so I can't really use my inherant cheapness to make the call!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #84
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutsider View Post
Commuting to and from work? Mesh is *great* for me. Distance of any sort? I'm going to try something different next time. I'm told staying constantly hydrated (i.e., Camelbak) will work better than any sort of exterior cooling, but I have yet to test that theory. Comes from an IBR rider or two, so I suppose I should try it...
The nice thing about hydrating so much is your body can keep sweating. The really nice thing about hydrating is you don't get the fatigue, poor reaction time, bad judgement, and headaches from dehydration on top of the heat.

You can still pour a cup of ice water over your head at stops - a liter or so of frigid water on the scalp over a minute and a half will suck more specific heat out of your body than you'd expect, provided you're standing in the shade while you do it. The splash on your shirt and neck help once you get moving.

If you don't mind getting soaked, a few cubes of ice in chest pockets on mesh will give you a bit of cooling and some soaking that will evaporate, just don't use too much or you'll soak your pants - unless you want to soak your pants

Quote:
I buy from my local dealer that sales me the bikes as well. They deal with Tucker Rocky or something... and they said that Tucker does not do Olympia so they would have to go to another source that would not allow them to bring the pants in for me to touch and feel and then send back if I were to decide to go for the FirstGear.

They have the Firstgear on the way, so I'll be touching them and trying them on Thursday. I have already seen from another post/thread that there is a large follwing for the Olympia Airglide 3 pants, and because I'm not seeing them side by side I was hoping someone that may have had both could tell me what was the redeeming feature of the Olympia compared to the Firstgear. Price is the same, at about $185 for each pant, so I can't really use my inherant cheapness to make the call!

That price is well below the MSRP of the airglide 3's, and Olympia usually has a pretty tight stranglehold on pricing as they only use "Dealers" rather than regular retailers. That might have something to do with it.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 AM   #85
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

Oddometer: 449
Olympia vs Tourmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
I had Olympia gear in my crash. It performed exactly as desired. There was not a scratch on me and the back pad prevented my spine from being snapped.

I replaced it with the BMW Airshell. I prefer this jacket because I got the optional back armor and it is clearly a more rugged piece of kit. There is more cordura and stiching seems a lot more robust. The mesh doesn't look like it will burn through as quickly, although that wasn't an issue with my crash. Still, I would not hesitate to use Olympia again.
+1 for Olympia gear.

I have a Tourmaster Epic jacket and Flex pants. Both have given me problems with the zippers breaking, and the Velcro on the jacket is pulling away on the sleeve cuffs. I bought this jacket in September last year. Not impressed with these, especially since I bought them based on Tourmaster's reputation.

I got an Olympia mesh jacket in the spring because the Epic was too heavy for summer. I love this jacket -- it even cleans up better (on the hi-viz sections).

I just got some Olympia pants for a trip. The armor seems a bit flimsy, so I'll swap out the knee/shin pads.

Last year's road trip: MN - UT - OR - MN

TraumaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #86
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

Bauer vs First Gear?

A question from a friend new to riding: Does anyone know if hockey gear is equal in protectiveness to MC-specific gear? It looks a lot alike to me, if you don't look at the manufacturer's names.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #87
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

What HE said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
I'd rather sweat than bleed.

When people ask me, "Aren't you DYING in all that gear?" this is exactly what I tell them.

They usually just blink at me and don't say another word. I hope this means they're thinking about it -- and all their friends who ride around in shorts and tan tops and sneakers.

I'm just sayin'...

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #88
Phoebus30
First Timer

Oddometer: 16
I'll admit I do wear shorts when I ride but I do wear a full helmet, gloves, and a joe rocket armour jacket it's still hot and I do sweat but the jacket is mesh so I'm comfortable when I'm on the go just not when I come to a stop lol
Phoebus30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #89
TraumaQueen
WW( ;,; )D?

mesh jackets question

I understand why mesh is a bad idea in extreme heat. But if I'm on a long trip with variable weather in July or August, is there a way to make the mesh work?

I took a long trip with my Olympia mesh jacket and Tourmaster mesh pants. I used a CamelBak and soaked my Nike DriFit shirt at every fuel stop. That seemed to work. Should I be wearing a long-sleeved shirt?

My next trip will include a Fieldsheer evap vest.

When I say variable weather, I mean Jasper, Canada to the Badlands in SD and points hot and cold in between.

Thanks for any advice sent this way!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #90
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaQueen View Post
I understand why mesh is a bad idea in extreme heat. But if I'm on a long trip with variable weather in July or August, is there a way to make the mesh work?
Just block some of the air flow. And Yes, I would recommend trying a long sleave shirt.