Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #436
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
thanks for the advice. The clearance issue is with the bigger pipes the stand mounting bracket will not fit within 1/4 inch of the engine mount.

My latest thought is to take some flat stock and mount it between the front and rear engine mounts. Then mount the side stand to the plate.

You also have a good idea with moving the mounting bolt over more to the left side and using a spaced. I will look into that.

Marc
I installed a Brown on my 79 RS. The stock bolt will work, but leaves one thread unloaded on each side. Not long enough to add any extra washers or spacers. Also, after installing I was have all kind of issues getting into 1st gear. The shift lever was hitting the Brown mount plate. The later Browns have a nicely curved relief in the plate to prevent this. I massaged mine with a grinder to provide clearance and all is well.
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #437
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
I installed a Brown on my 79 RS. The stock bolt will work, but leaves one thread unloaded on each side. Not long enough to add any extra washers or spacers. Also, after installing I was have all kind of issues getting into 1st gear. The shift lever was hitting the Brown mount plate. The later Browns have a nicely curved relief in the plate to prevent this. I massaged mine with a grinder to provide clearance and all is well.
Actually, the later ones do NOT have a relief in them.
That has been an issue for several years now.
Browns was not real concerned and indicated to me when we spoke that there wouldn't be any changes made to this.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #438
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Actually, the later ones do NOT have a relief in them.
That has been an issue for several years now.
Browns was not real concerned and indicated to me when we spoke that there wouldn't be any changes made to this.
I'm just shaking my head in disgust. The manufacturer knows of the problem, but still sells it to the masses. Machine time ain't cheap, but that divot can be automated (CNC) and they could spit them out right at about 30 seconds machine time each. Manually it could be done by any journeymen in 5 minutes.

The have done it. Cruised around the Redmond rally last year specifically looking for Brown stands on /7's. Saw a few like mine, owner install with the ground out area. Then I saw looking near new, a chrome Brown with the divot requied perfectly radiused. I thought oh, good, they are making them right now.

Why would they revert back to WRONG?? To save $2 machine time?? Fouling the shifter can become very dangerous. It's not just engaging 1st, it also affects downshifting at speed in higher gears.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #439
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
I'm just shaking my head in disgust. The manufacturer knows of the problem, but still sells it to the masses. Machine time ain't cheap, but that divot can be automated (CNC) and they could spit them out right at about 30 seconds machine time each. Manually it could be done by any journeymen in 5 minutes.

The have done it. Cruised around the Redmond rally last year specifically looking for Brown stands on /7's. Saw a few like mine, owner install with the ground out area. Then I saw looking near new, a chrome Brown with the divot requied perfectly radiused. I thought oh, good, they are making them right now.

Why would they revert back to WRONG?? To save $2 machine time?? Fouling the shifter can become very dangerous. It's not just engaging 1st, it also affects downshifting at speed in higher gears.
If it was chrome it was a copy, unless some crazy bastard spent the money.
Browns were not chromed. Luftmeister copies were.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #440
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Quote:
If it was chrome it was a copy, unless some crazy bastard spent the money.
Browns were not chromed. Luftmeister copies were.
Yes, it had all the appearance of the Brown but chrome of the quality expected of good process. Luftmeister must have got permission/license to do their production. Sounds like that is what it was, then Luftmeister improved the design with the proper relief and chrome finish. In all other ways it looked exactly like the Brown.

Also, there would be no great difficulty in taking a brown, adding the relief properly on a mill and having it chromed.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #441
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Yes, it had all the appearance of the Brown but chrome of the quality expected of good process. Luftmeister must have got permission/license to do their production. Sounds like that is what it was, then Luftmeister improved the design with the proper relief and chrome finish. In all other ways it looked exactly like the Brown.

Also, there would be no great difficulty in taking a brown, adding the relief properly on a mill and having it chromed.
Luftmeister, Getting permission to copy something?
Ask Craig Vetter about that sometime.
Pack your lunch, you'll be there awhile.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #442
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,312
i have been looking at ways to mount my Browns side stand and have just about come to the conclusion that if I want it on the bike, the exhaust is going to have to go back to stock. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Marc
Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #443
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Have a non stock stand on all my bikes - the Browns on my R75/7 is the least satisfactory.

I have a right hand side 2 into 1 exhaust , so the Micky Mouse idea of clamping a structural support to the exhaust pipe was a non starter.

Wasnt hard to rig up a bracket back to the frame but remember it turns the opposite way srom what you would think when it is loaded, that is the LH end goes up.

My secong grouse is the light springand poor geometry on the stand - if I kick the stand down the frigging thing bounces back up again !

The best stand I have seen is the one on my G/S made by a inmate here and sold on the vendors forum.

The mounting plate for the stand is threaded for the engine mount bolt so the existing bolt is plenty long enough , and the front of the mount plate extends forward and is bolted to the pivot bolt for the G/S footrest, secure and safe.
The spring geometry and strength are better than the Brown too - clunks solidly down and up , with no hint of a bounce.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #444
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 530
Anybody know where one might find a replacement cylinder base o-ring for a 1976 R90/6 without resorting to ordering from a parts place? How about the cylinder stud o-rings? (I assume those are easier to find at an auto-parts joint.)

I've got NAPA and Advance Auto and various other hardware and auto-parts houses around. The nearest Beemer dealer is a four-hour round trip and I really don't want to wait for the UPS guy.

Thanks!

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #445
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post
Anybody know where one might find a replacement cylinder base o-ring for a 1976 R90/6 without resorting to ordering from a parts place? How about the cylinder stud o-rings? (I assume those are easier to find at an auto-parts joint.)

I've got NAPA and Advance Auto and various other hardware and auto-parts houses around. The nearest Beemer dealer is a four-hour round trip and I really don't want to wait for the UPS guy.

Thanks!
There is no cylinder base Oring on a 76.
If you've got one PLEASE shoot a pic and share!
BMW used just the stud Orings until mid to late 80, when they introed the base orings.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 06-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #446
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
BMW used just the stud Orings until mid to late 80, when they introed the base orings.
There was, however, a base gasket on the older bikes. The base gasket was replaced by the base o-ring from 1981-on.

Andrew
Old 06-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #447
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot View Post
There was, however, a base gasket on the older bikes. The base gasket was replaced by the base o-ring from 1981-on.

Andrew

Not true.
The standard 76 to 80 models did not use a base gasket either.
There was one available from BMW to lower compression when pinging occurred. But not from the factory. Basically cylinder was glued directly to the case.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 06-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #448
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
My '79 R100T with a build date of 12/78 has cylinder base o-rings. FWIW.
<---clicky

1975 BMW R90S Hack - Olga
Olga's story - adopted 3/22/14<---clicky
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #449
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post
My '79 R100T with a build date of 12/78 has cylinder base o-rings. FWIW.
Interesting. My 80 R100T shortblock does not have the cutout for the orings. It has build date of 11/79
Here a couple of shot of what they are supposed to look like.
This first pic is a 93 GS block.
Attached Images

www.wirewerkes.com

wirewrkr screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 01:43 PM
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #450
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

1980 R100T Block, build date 11/79
Attached Images